Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bambata has said he incorporated theyre music into his own records,he named Lee Perry as an influence in what he did...i think ill take his word over someone who wasnt there...
He was most likely talking about when he dj'ed parties.

Name a song he did that had some of those vibes?

And name these people who were influenced by reggae, and dub?

You do know there were no breaks in those songs, right?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
North Carolina has more to do with hip hop than Jamaica. Do your research if you want to pull ancestry out of your ass. There was no jamaican music being spun because nobody wanted to hear it.

These dudes are putting word's in the OG's mouth's that they never said:lolbron:

Straight from Baam:

fBa88f5.jpg

Straight from Herc:

vp0hC7o.jpg

0G7iz3J.jpg

even his father was vibing to Afram music:pachaha:

ACl7UJ8.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
and as I've already posted, Herc and Baam point out that the Jamaican influence was zero

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx

To be sure, there were all kinds of mobile jocks in New York in the early 70′s. Hands down, no questions. I’ve always asked the Bronx cats that I’ve interviewed this one important question, “Yo, what impact did the Jamaican sound systems have on ya’ll?”

Everybody from Toney Tone to Kool Herc to Bambaataa said: “None, none at all. They weren’t a part of our thing. They did their own thing.”

The one time I interviewed Kool Herc I asked him about the Jamaican sound systems in the Bronx and he acknowledged knowing a few of them, but said that they had no influence or impact whatsoever.

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx - Hip-Hop and Politics

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
nikkas still using the kool herc argument when Disco King Mario has made appearances in the thread.
Canadian nikka, knock it the fukk off, you're not part of the conversation, watered down islander.

More on Disco King

according to Jazzy Jay

Do you remember the first jam you played at? What were the atmosphere and vibe of the jam?
We didn’t have much money to purchase the equipment back then, so we would salvage things from our neighborhood. One person would have a receiver, one person would have a speaker, one person would have an amp and another would have a turntable. We couldn’t even afford a mic, so we would usually plugged up our headphones in the mic jack to talk. It was real grassroots and completely amateur. The very first jam I played at was in either 1974 or 75, in Soundview at this spot called The Little Houses, which actually used to be Army barracks. So I just brought my equipment and set up there, because we could do that back then.

What were some of your favorite block parties and park jams in the 70s? Who threw them?
One of the things I always used to do back in the day was roll by Afrika Bambaataa’s crib. He used to play music and leave the windows wide open for everyone in Bronx River to hear. He would play music 24/7. So I would be doing tricks on my bike, while everyone else would be playing cards or dominos in the center of the projects. We would gather around to listen to Bam play out his window.

But as far as the block parties and park jams go, people like Disco King Mario, from Bronxdale Projects, Kool Dee, and this other cat from the Bronx River projects named Tyrone were the guys around my neighborhood doing the first block parties and park jams. Disco King Mario was the first dude I saw bringing out the big speakers, Kool Dee was the dude you would see playing at Bronx River Center and Tyrone was a bass guitarist who lived in the neighborhood.

Tyrone would set up his column head and he would plug up his Pioneer turntables to the column head to play records. One of his favorite records to play was The Blackbyrds “City Life” and “The Bus Stop” by BT Express. Bam used to come out with his crew do their little dances. They actually had the hood version of the Achy Breaky Heart that they called “The Bus Stop.” We were all doing this dance in the neighborhood at the time.

http://www.redbullbcone.com/en/blog/_/Disco+King+Mario

That underground info you won't read in any of the false hiphop history books

@ 13:48

@ 9:19

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Igbo and Yoruba culture is vastly different. They look different, too.

They're different at the same time very similar, similar food, biggest proponent of Modern Afrobeats Fela Kuti and Tony Allen both Yoruba, both very influenced by African American music(obviously) both listened to in the Igbo parts of Nigeria has the Yoruba. Of course won't be edactly the same, because Yoruba culture has borrowed a lot from Africans more north due to the Islamic experience while Igbos being 99% Christian have had little influence from that side, but Yorubas and Igbos are closer in culture moreso than Yorubas and Hausas for example.

In terms of how they look they look pretty much the same, Igbos tend to be lighter but then you get Yorubas who are very light and Igbos who are very dark too, in a place like London for example where Nigerians and Jamaicans account for maybe 50% of the black populous, you can barely many a time tell them apart let alone Igbos and Yorubas.

Last edited:

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Miss me with that retarded youtube conspiracy theory knowledge.
When the US says jump, BRITAIN jumps now.

In terms of entertainment technology yes, but not really at all, youtube conspiracy theory knowledge?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This was being discussed in another thread:

That's exactly the point I made earlier, the roots of Hip Hop culture are not African American.

It didn't take very long for African Americans to dominate the culture but New York's style is heavily Caribbean influenced to this day.

The New York Hip Hop scene never fukked with the Hip Hop scenes in the rest of the country like that unless nikkas made music that sounded exactly like them (i.e. Common, Lupe, Hiero, Cypress Hill, etc). When you compare the music they don't like to each other - UGK, E-40, Do Or Die, etc. - the commonalities stand out:

- Heavier bass lines
- Heavier focus on melody
- Less focus on rapping about rhyme skills, more Bluesy subject matter
- Heavier use of P-Funk elements

This isn't by accident.

:dwillhuh:Disagree. Early NYC rap was heavy on the basslines because they were sampling from Disco and Disco-Funk which is all about the basslines.