Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Their fusions with southern music sound more natural, too...
I guess the slight midatlantic twang in their accent gives them more access to rhyming words.
They also have a slight melody to it...
Listen to a philly nikka talk and hear a "tew yew dew" much like Bmore/DC, just not exaggerated.
You are the only person who sees this besides me, that I've come into contact with.

Philly, baltimore, and dc, have roughly the same accents but it's little things that separate them. I don't know how to describe it but it's like a mix of nyc, and southern, mixed with each city having their own special way of saying things.

Glad to see it aint just me. When I would tell people this, they claim they can't hear it.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
nikka stfu. Mike Tyson father IS Jamaican you young dumb ass nikka. Mike used to come out wearing the Jamaican Flag wrapped around him sometimes.

It doesn't matter if mayweather never said he was Jamaican. Does that change the fact that his moms is Jamaican? Why you butt hurt over that? bcuz your idols have caribb descent? WTF you bringing up grandparents, when we talking PARENTS?

I just told yall nigs earlier, If you ask a caribb person where they are from in America, they going to respond where they live currently or grew up in the states. A trini nikka in this thread just explained it!

Obviously floyd weather is representing America. It wouldn't make sense (sponsorship reasons) to bring up your heritage. You see how now that hes RETIRED his mom is on camera bigging up "JAMAICAN BLOOD."
lol dumb ass nikka. You know how many Jamaicans STRAIGHT from jamaica, is on the US track team? Representing USA?

How is that any different then a nikka like Balotelli representing Italy? Hes an italian CITIZEN, BUT ETHNICALLY hes from Ghana.

:mjlol: Pathetic

His father is full blown AA and the reason floyd mayweather is floyd mayweather. :mindblown:
If hes half and half, how do caribbeans figure they can claim him outright :mindblown:

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
His father is full blown AA and the reason floyd mayweather is floyd mayweather. :mindblown:
If hes half and half, how do caribbeans figure they can claim him outright :mindblown:
Who is claiming him outright? Why are you putting words in my mouth?
I posted the video 5 times with his mother.

I said that he was 1/2 Jamaican from day one.

Thats the whole point i'm trying to make. AA/Caribb culture is very integrated.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop being emotional. Be a Man.

I said JAMAICAN descent. Keyword here is descent.
Why do you have a problem with someone pointing out someone's descent? We know that Mike Tyson was born in USA. Nobodies denying that. We are talking about immediate descent (parents).
I'm just like Tyson. I was born in NY to a Jamaican father, my moms born in the bronx (Jamaican/Rican parents).

Theres descent, ethnicity, and citizenship. This is very simple.
So, you still consider him Jamaican descent even though he has no type of connection to it, besides his daddy nut sacks?

If that's the case why aren't you claiming European, and puerto rican, since you have that in your family tree?

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Ok ladies,

Now that I'm presenting FACTs, I noticed a lot of posters backpeddling and flip flopping. If you are going to claim that I said something, simply use the quote post feature.

Thanks.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps

Floyds not even half but his mother is. It's silly to claim him IMO.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
NYC rappers did that around 89/90. PSK came out in 1985. He was the first to talk that street shyt, but philly as a whole wasn't doing that. After that Krs-one was the next one to push the street shyt with criminal minded. I specifically remember blasting "9mm go bang", and rhyming to it with a fake uzi I had. That shyt turned me out, along with Ice-t's "High rollers", and "pusher". Right after that is when the "enlightening" started happening.

True, the point though is that Philly was never really with the "enlightening" to the same degree as New York. You had the religion aspect but the rappity rap shyt didn't dominate Philly music in the same way. Even when you compare NY street rap to Philly street rap, there's a certain type of directness in Philly rap that's not as present in NY rap.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
So, you still consider him Jamaican descent even though he has no type of connection to it, besides his daddy nut sacks?

If that's the case why aren't you claiming European, and puerto rican, since you have that in your family tree?
My nikka you sound dumb. It doesn't matter what you consider yourself. What if a wigger considered himself black? Does that make him black? NO! He's still white!

If Tyson, Mayweather, and a grip of other rappers have a caribb parent, why does that burn your soul so much? You can consider yourself anything you want, but you are what your parents are. If you have 1 Jamaican parent, your HALF jamaican.

and stfu with the PR thing (a PR can be black, white, taino, or a mix). I clearly said my Dad is Jamaican. My mom is born in the bronx to Jamaican father/Rican mother. I'm clearly acknowledging my descent ALL the way around.

Take the L

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
You been hitting that pipe a little too much:patrice:

Let's use his logic, Rihanna and Bob Marley are English n Irish lol
If Tyson, Mayweather, and a grip of other rappers have a caribb parent, why does that burn your soul so much?

Because it's not true. You gotta be slow or something man. Tyson himself has said the man on his birth certificate is not his father and you still tryna argue lol.

How you gonna go against the mans own words. He traces his fathers roots back to North Carolina and the south but you still tryna tell us otherwise lol

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Let's use his logic, Rihanna and Bob Marley are English n Irish lol

Because it's not true. You gotta be slow or something man. Tyson himself has said the man on his birth certificate is not his father and you still tryna argue lol.

How you gonna go against the mans own words. He traces his fathers roots back to North Carolina and the south but you still tryna tell us otherwise lol
No dummy
Using my Logic, you would simply say Bob Marley is HALF English and Half Jamaican. With Jamaican nationality

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My nikka you sound dumb. It doesn't matter what you consider yourself. What if a wigger considered himself black? Does that make him black? NO! He's still white!

If Tyson, Mayweather, and a grip of other rappers have a caribb parent, why does that burn your soul so much? You can consider yourself anything you want, but you are what your parents are. If you have 1 Jamaican parent, your HALF jamaican.

and stfu with the PR thing (a PR can be black, white, taino, or a mix). I clearly said my Dad is Jamaican. My mom is born in the bronx to Jamaican father/Rican mother. I'm clearly acknowledging my descent ALL the way around.

Take the L
You are not good at what you're trying to do with the twisting of words. Don't do crime because the police will let you talk, and make a case against your dumb ass.

1-No, you are what your parents RAISE YOU AS, along with where you LIVE. If I go by your logic, you are American, puerto rican along with Jamaican. So, why aren't you acknowledging your puerto rican side, and your American side?

2-The fact that you came in being all about Jamaica, why not Puerto Rico, and America?

I know why, you are just following your father, because I bet you grew up with him talking shyt about AA. There is no way your ass is from NYC, and you sound the way you do without some old person influencing you. You know it, and I know it.

Last edited: