Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I think you need to specify what year, because philly always had a NYC sound. The change started in 1998 when using the keyboard sounds became the in thing.

Also, philly has the best mc's, to me, so what do you think is the reason?
They kept the hip hop element mixed in with their street rap.
It's still about FLOWING and being AGGRESSIVE out there...
Philly didn't have an NYC sound, it had a Philly sound. Quite similar, but not the same.
Massed blackness, not a huge amount of "going back down south"...
NYC nikkas flashy and too concerned with toys and keeping up with stylistic mores.
Philly has more relation to their southern relatives...When I was there, folks were coming up from VA and NC to visit all the time.
When I lived in MD, a lot of Philly folks would come down...so they're more in tune with other black areas.
Another thing:
Their punchline rappers don't cheat with rhyme patterns like the NY ones do because they immerse themselves in a style rather than "copypasting".
Rhyming from the heart >>> Rhyming from the ego.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
:why:
Shameless. So now you went from " He NEVER came out wearing a Jamaican flag" to "bu bu anyone can wear a Jamaican flag"

No. The only reason why Tyson would wear his Jamaican Flag to a WORLD CLASS boxing event is because he's making his Jamaican roots known. This isn't like wearing a puerto shirt at the puerto rican day parade. Its a major well publicized event.

Your just terrified right now that your ego is about to be crushed today because you found out Mikes father is Jamaican, and Mike him self made a statement with the huge Black, Green, and GOLD Jamaican Flag wrapped around him.

Where is it?

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let me look for that video of Tyson coming out with the Jamaican Flag. Just seen the Documentary on netflix about a week ago, week agooooo.
You are really pathetic!

You are showing us how low your self esteem is, and you don't even know it.

You saw Mike Tyson where a Jamaican flag one time, and noe you are telling the world how Jamaican he is, even though his ass never been there until he got money, and he wasn't raised around the culture. BUT, because MAYBE his father was Jamaican, you are claiming he's now JAMAICAN? :what:

Fool you are:martin:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
According to that weirdo I have on ignore:
If your grandfather's jamaican, you're jamaican
If your mom's jamaican (even if you don't know her), you're jamaican.
If your dad's jamaican, you're jamaican.

Jamaican is a NATIONALITY/Ethnicity. Shaky grounds, b.
There are also a LOT more AA people, period.
Think 2 million have much sway over that big 40.
nope.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They kept the hip hop element mixed in with their street rap.
It's still about FLOWING and being AGGRESSIVE out there...
Philly didn't have an NYC sound, it had a Philly sound. Quite similar, but not the same.
Massed blackness, not a huge amount of "going back down south"...
NYC nikkas flashy and too concerned with toys and keeping up with stylistic mores.
Philly has more relation to their southern relatives...When I was there, folks were coming up from VA and NC to visit all the time.
When I lived in MD, a lot of Philly folks would come down...so they're more in tune with other black areas.
Another thing:
Their punchline rappers don't cheat with rhyme patterns like the NY ones do because they immerse themselves in a style rather than "copypasting".
Rhyming from the heart >>> Rhyming from the ego.
When I say NYC sound, I mean the beats were similar, and the way they rhymed was similar, even though you can still tell the difference. Now, I'm talking from around 87-97/98. Now, all these nikkas from everywhere miss me when they start rapping. You have to really be nice for me to pay attention.

As far as style, them nikkas was up their with NYC, if not a little better.

I do agree with how you described their rhyming style. I guess that is the difference, because when they rhyme they put words together that wouldn't seem to match, but like you said, you can tell it's coming from them, and not just a nikka rhyming to rhyme.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I think you need to specify what year, because philly always had a NYC sound. The change started in 1998 when using the keyboard sounds became the in thing.

Also, philly has the best mc's, to me, so what do you think is the reason?

Sure, Philly had a similar sound to NY. However, even when you look at the earliest examples of Philly rap such as this:

The way the subject matter is being approached is similar to the rest of the country. Schoolly D's not on a platform trying to tell you how to live your life, he's telling you about HIS life. Other New York rappers talked about poverty and violence but mostly under the guise of "enlightening" people who are still doing it. Schoolly D's lyrics are more Bluesy in that sense. The Blues is centrally about YOUR BLUES, not your political views. You're not trying to reach people by leading them, you're reaching the people by being like them.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sure, Philly had a similar sound to NY. However, even when you look at the earliest examples of Philly rap such as this:

The way the subject matter is being approached is similar to the rest of the country. Schoolly D's not on a platform trying to tell you how to live your life, he's telling you about HIS life. Other New York rappers talked about poverty and violence but mostly under the guise of "enlightening" people who are still doing it. Schoolly D's lyrics are more Bluesy in that sense. The Blues is centrally about YOUR BLUES, not your political views. You're not trying to reach people by leading them, you're reaching the people by being like them.

NYC rappers did that around 89/90. PSK came out in 1985. He was the first to talk that street shyt, but philly as a whole wasn't doing that. After that Krs-one was the next one to push the street shyt with criminal minded. I specifically remember blasting "9mm go bang", and rhyming to it with a fake uzi I had. That shyt turned me out, along with Ice-t's "High rollers", and "pusher". Right after that is when the "enlightening" started happening.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
You are really pathetic!

You are showing us how low your self esteem is, and you don't even know it.

You saw Mike Tyson where a Jamaican flag one time, and noe you are telling the world how Jamaican he is, even though his ass never been there until he got money, and he wasn't raised around the culture. BUT, because MAYBE his father was Jamaican, you are claiming he's now JAMAICAN? :what:

Fool you are:martin:

Stop being emotional. Be a Man.

I said JAMAICAN descent. Keyword here is descent.
Why do you have a problem with someone pointing out someone's descent? We know that Mike Tyson was born in USA. Nobodies denying that. We are talking about immediate descent (parents).
I'm just like Tyson. I was born in NY to a Jamaican father, my moms born in the bronx (Jamaican/Rican parents).

Theres descent, ethnicity, and citizenship. This is very simple.