Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Thats why i specificlally said CARRIBBEAN AND NORTH AMERICA. South america was a different route.

So did Jamaica (senegambia)

not really

0wkbpWa.jpg

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
@illamatic delta
For those that keep bringing up slavery:

You gotta recognize that there is so much conflicting data about the percentage of tribes dropped off in the americas (carribbean included).

For example, one source will claim the majority of Jamaicans descend from Igbo tribe, the other source will say senegal, the other source will say Akan, the next will say sierra leone.

For the longest time people suspected it was Akan, but they based that soley on the MAROON tribe, that has lived separate from Jamaican society for years. I guess you can compare them to like the Gullah in the carolinas (someone separate and maintaing culture/customs) . Many of the Maroons was MOORS that came from the iberian penisula. This is facto

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Read above. Stop posting these charts with no sources. I already stated, theres conflicting information. I can post 5 other "official" sources contradicting that.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
I feel like a teacher right now. I'm teaching these young buls new words, reading comprehension, how to compare and contrast data and charts, the difference be citizenship and ethnicity, and history.

:salute:

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
NOW but the 1st Blacks to make the BX a haven for Blacks to migrate to were AA.
What does that have to do with anything NOW?:ld:
It doesn't make the black people who live there AAs.

I don't believe any group is superior/inferior than any other group, btw:yeshrug:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I mentioned the Islam/Noi/5% influence in New York music in another thread. It got deleted. But basically, IMO hip hop started to decline when the Islamic influence hip hop. More knowledge , more intelligence, etc

I see where you're coming from on that, imo the creativity in the music benefited greatly from the genre's expansion past ideology though. When black people who were NOT operating within the constraints of NOI and New York influence brought their own sounds (Blues, Funk, R&B) into the fold it vastly increased the longevity of the genre and prevented it from becoming stagnant. It also opened it up as a platform for BLACK people, not just New Yorkers and 5 Percenters. Some of the inherent disdain imo comes from the old Boule looking down on the rest of the black population like Poitier was saying.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
FACT: The first slaves to arrive in Jamaican came from the iberian penisula (spain/morocco) in 1513. This tribe today is now called "Maroon" tribes enslaved by the Spanish. This is when Spanish occupied Jamaica. After the British came in, they brought slaves from all over west africa. Particularly: Igbo tribe, Senagal, Sierra leone, Ghana, Nigeria, and Cameroon.

Iberian Roots of the Transatlantic Slave Trade, 1440–1640 | The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

Slave Trade

Afro-Jamaican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Afro-Jamaicans are Jamaicans of entirely or predominantly African descent. The first Africans to arrive came in 1513 from the Iberian Peninsula. They were servants, cowboys, herders of cattle, pigs and horses, as well as hunters. When theEnglish captured Jamaica in 1655, many of them fought with the Spanish who gave them their freedom and then fled to the mountains resisting the British for many years to maintain their freedom, becoming known as Maroons. The British in this point in time, brought with them mostly Akan slaves, some of which runaway and joined with Maroons and even took over as leaders.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
nikka stfu. Mike Tyson father IS Jamaican you young dumb ass nikka. Mike used to come out wearing the Jamaican Flag wrapped around him sometimes.

Why you nikkas liers b, honestly lol I have seen every tyson fight and this never happend. Like why lie my dude. How am i gonna talk to you man to man, when you telling me bold face lies.

1. Show me a picture or a video with tyson coming into the ring with the jamaican flag

2. Refute these claims from tysons own mouth

"Tyson's biological father is listed as "Purcell Tyson" (who was from Jamaica) on his birth certificate,[ but the man Tyson had known as his father was Jimmy Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick was from Grier Town, North Carolina (a predominantly black neighborhood that was annexed by the city of Charlotte)"

"My father was just a regular street guy caught up in the street world," Tyson said. Kirkpatrick abandoned the Tyson family around the time Mike was born, leaving Tyson's mother to care for the children on her own.[17]Kirkpatrick died in 1992."

A picture of kirkpatrick tyson used in his book, his book you clown

article-2502217-195A95C000000578-764_306x423.jpg

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
History. We got that strong Moorish Blood. Jamaica was initially occupied by the spanish. They brought Moorish slaves from the iberian penisula. The British then bought slaves from various west african tribes 100 years later.

Lets build brothers. Instead of the petty back and forth, we can actually learn something from each other (unless you a cac agent or riding that c00n train).