Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Philly is majority Sunni, breh. Chicago and Detroit are more NOI oriented.

Agreed that Detroit and Chicago are more NOI oriented than Philly. Part of the point though is that NY's Hip Hop culture had bigger influence in regions where the NOI (and possibly in Philly's case the Sunni) influence was bigger. Oakland used to have a very significant NOI presence, particularly in North and East Oakland. It spawned a lot of the hardcore conscious scene in Oakland (e.g. Askari X, Conscious Daughters, etc.) which was more in line with the New York Hip Hop culture.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
You weirdo mike tyson is 100% black american, his real father was a pimp from north carolina, jimmy kirkpatrick. Go to wiki or read his book. Don't nobody give a fukk about lennox lewis lol and floyd has never ever mentioned no jamaica, and has always called himself african american.

I give respect to carribean people, but tryna claim people who have a grandfather is pathetic lol Michael jackson, mike jordan, muhamed ali, whitney houston, beyonce, jay-z, jimmy hendrix etc come on knock it off man.

Hip hop is african american too.
nikka stfu. Mike Tyson father IS Jamaican you young dumb ass nikka. Mike used to come out wearing the Jamaican Flag wrapped around him sometimes.

It doesn't matter if mayweather never said he was Jamaican. Does that change the fact that his moms is Jamaican? Why you butt hurt over that? bcuz your idols have caribb descent? WTF you bringing up grandparents, when we talking PARENTS?

I just told yall nigs earlier, If you ask a caribb person where they are from in America, they going to respond where they live currently or grew up in the states. A trini nikka in this thread just explained it!

Obviously floyd weather is representing America. It wouldn't make sense (sponsorship reasons) to bring up your heritage. You see how now that hes RETIRED his mom is on camera bigging up "JAMAICAN BLOOD."
lol dumb ass nikka. You know how many Jamaicans STRAIGHT from jamaica, is on the US track team? Representing USA?

How is that any different then a nikka like Balotelli representing Italy? Hes an italian CITIZEN, BUT ETHNICALLY hes from Ghana.

:mjlol: Pathetic

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Agreed that Detroit and Chicago are more NOI oriented than Philly. Part of the point though is that NY's Hip Hop culture had bigger influence in regions where the NOI (and possibly in Philly's case the Sunni) influence was bigger. Oakland used to have a very significant NOI presence, particularly in North and East Oakland. It spawned a lot of the hardcore conscious scene in Oakland (e.g. Askari X, Conscious Daughters, etc.) which was more in line with the New York Hip Hop culture.
I mentioned the Islam/Noi/5% influence in New York music in another thread. It got deleted. But basically, IMO hip hop started to decline when the Islamic influence hip hop. More knowledge , more intelligence, etc

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements

"Why is your son Floyd Mayweather so good?"
"JAMAICAN BLOOD. YOU KNOW US JAMAICANS RUN TINGS" That includes Tyson and Lennox Lewis.

nikkas is butt hurt. At first they wanted to deny celebs of being of Caribb descent. Now that they can no longer deny celebs caribbean ancestry, the new argument is "bu bu but, they was born here."

No shyt nikka!
I was born in Queens, Ny. Does it change the fact that my Dad is Jamaican? My mom born in the Bronx. Half Jamaican and Half Rican! Which brings me back to my original point: NY is a melting pot. NY hip hop is influence by AA's and Caribbs!

I'm starting to think a yard nikka lace up dem gyal real good.

If your just tuning in, this is why they mad :russ:
lol because they finding out they idols have Caribb blood.:mjlol:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Ahh...Newark's whole scene is like that.

Conversely though it wasn't like that at all in the regions of the country where the NOI presence was not significant. LA for example had an NOI presence but culturally it was not exactly popular there. Oakland culturally was more on the same page to begin with (see the Black Panthers) and its reflected in the o/a awareness within the Oakland Hip Hop scene.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Let me look for that video of Tyson coming out with the Jamaican Flag. Just seen the Documentary on netflix about a week ago, week agooooo.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
No. Not at all. The same exact tribes dropped off in the caribbean was also dropped off in the south. Some Areas may have a little more or less of the same tribes.

Edit: I predict Illmatic Delta comes posting huge pages of information suggesting/implying information( like always) even tho theres conflicting info.

:lolbron: The biggest standouts of the african stock in new world blacks is Brazil is pred West-Central African, hence the big butts and Aframs had a high proportion of Senegambian/Griot Africa slaves, hence, the Blues.

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Why you here?
Laughter, 2k league, finding music in the booth and sports ( knicks thread).
Like where? BX/Harlem, BK and Queens Black enclaves were AA FIRST.

Im from the bronx and when i grew up it wasnt an AA enclave when i grew up. It was actually italian first. Its not like im avoiding AAs.
Do you really think that 1st gen is the same as an AA.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

article2_header.gif

article2_img2.jpg
article2_img3.jpg

BRIDGEMAN ART LIBRARY MACDUFF EVERTON / CORBIS
“History changes things,” says author Cornelia Walker Bailey, (above) who lives on Sapelo Island, Georgia. Her surname started out as Bilali, the given name of her ancestor Bilali Mohammed. Trained as a Muslim prayer leader in his native Guinea, he was enslaved in 1803 and brought to Sapelo Island, where a small community of his descendants still lives. Bailey grew up saying Christian prayers facing east, the direction of Makkah—the same direction in which her Muslim ancestor prayed. Above Left : W. C. Handy, “Father of the Blues” and a son of former slaves, recorded a 1903 encounter with a man playing an instrument that was evolving from an African zither into an American slide guitar.
Written by Jonathan Curiel

article2_s.gif
ylviane Diouf knows her audience might be skeptical, so to demonstrate the connec- tion between Muslim traditions and American blues music, she’ll play two recordings: The athaan, the Muslim call to prayer that’s heard from minarets around the world, and “Levee Camp Holler,” an early type of blues song that first sprang up in the Mississippi Delta more than 100 years ago.

“Levee Camp Holler” is no ordinary song. It’s the product of ex-slaves who worked moving earth all day in post-Civil War America. The version that Diouf uses in presentations has lyrics that, like the call to prayer, speak about a glorious God. But it’s the song’s melody and note changes that closely resemble oneof Islam’s best-known refrains. Like the call to prayer, “Levee Camp Holler” emphasizes words that seem to quiver and shake in the reciter’s vocal chords. Dramatic changes in musical scales punctuate both “Levee Camp Holler” and the adhan. A nasal intonation is evident in both.

ALAN LOMAX COLLECTION / SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION / "PRISON SONGS", VOL. 1, TRACK 11, ROUNDER RECORDS

“I did a talk a few years ago at Harvard where I played those two things, and the room absolutely exploded in clapping, because [the connection] was obvious,” says Diouf, an author and scholar who is also a researcher at New York’s Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. “People were saying, ‘Wow. That’s really audible. It’s really there.’” It’s really there thanks to all the Muslim slaves from West Africa who were taken by force to the United States for three centuries, from the 1600’s to the mid-1800’s. Upward of 30 percent of the African slaves in the United States were Muslim, and an untold number of them spoke and wrote Arabic, historians say now. Despite being pressured by slave owners to adopt Christianity and give up their old ways, many of these slaves continued to practice their religion and customs, or otherwise melded traditions from Africa into their new environment in the antebellum South. Forced to do menial, backbreaking work on plantations, for example, they still managed, throughout their days, to voice a belief in God and the revelation of the Qur’an. These slaves’ practices eventually evolved—decades and decades later, parallel with different singing traditions from Africa—into the shouts and hollers that begat blues music, Diouf and other historians believe.

Saudi Aramco World : Muslim Roots, U.S. Blues

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
:lolbron: The biggest standouts of the african stock in new world blacks is Brazil is pred West-Central African, hence the big butts and Aframs had a high proportion of Senegambian/Griot Africa slaves, hence, the Blues.
Thats why i specificlally said CARRIBBEAN AND NORTH AMERICA. South america was a different route.