Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
I know this. Now, what if somebody is BORN in the US and chooses to embrace the US culture fully?
if they don't speak patois...what are they? this shyt reminds me of broads saying: "I'm not black, I'm jamaican"
What about afrolatinos that don't speak spanish? Isn't the modified language the most important part of the culture? yes.
If you don't speak patois and you're not from there, your PARENTS are jamaican. You tho? just black.
Claim anything you want...You're what you look and sound like.
Black American clothing style? check
Accent? check
Birthplace? check.
Drop that flag then, playboi...it's irrelevant. Everything you know and love is AA. Mommy and daddy from there but YOU NOT.

I know a lot of Hispanics that dont speak Spanish but they still claim. My mother doesn't always speak in patois or a Jamaican accent but is a immigrant, so what is she? Outside of hip hop and fashion, what do most 1st gens take from AA?:ld:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
You weirdo mike tyson is 100% black american, his real father was a pimp from north carolina, jimmy kirkpatrick. Go to wiki or read his bool. Don't nobody give a fukk about lennox lewis lol and floyd has never ever mentioned no jamaica, and has always called himself african american.

I give respect to carribean people, but tryna claim people who have a grandfather is pathetic lol Michael jackson, mike jordan, muhamed ali, whitney houston, beyonce, jay-z, jimmy hendrix etc come on knock it off man.

Hip hop is african american too.
:ohhh: A line was crossed if they tried to say this man had anything but AA in his family:ohhh:

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
:ohhh: A line was crossed if they tried to say this man had anything but AA in his family:ohhh:

Lol nah i was just saying those are pure aa's with no carribean in them since he wants to claim our famous people

And that dude @FruitOfTheVale is lier too, talking bout jay-z is jamaican, man these coco bread nikkas will fake claim everygotdamn body :mjlol:. Most of the list fugazy, camron dominican?diddy jamaican? 50 cent jamaicain? smh lol

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Lol nah i was just saying those are pure aa's with no carribean in them since he wants to claim our famous people

And that dude @FruitOfTheVale is lier too, talking bout jay-z is jamaican, man these coco bread nikkas will fake claim everygotdamn body :mjlol:. Most of the list fugazy, camron dominican?? smh lol

Lol the info is out there bruh bruh, it looks like Cam'Ron is half Rican not Dominican though. I posted the list in good faith, not for the back and forth agenda that was being discussed in half of this thread.

And watch who the fukk you calling a coco bread nikka cause I ain't one.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Lol the info is out there bruh bruh, it looks like Cam'Ron is half Rican not Dominican though. I posted the list in good faith, not for the back and forth agenda that was being discussed in half of this thread.

And watch who the fukk you calling a coco bread nikka cause I ain't one.

False info. Camron is black American. A lot of the people you mentioned are just AA

Well you shouldn't have been disrespectful trying to tell tales my dude. 2 out of 3 greatest rappers in ny are black American nas/jay-z .

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Most of the list fugazy, camron dominican?diddy jamaican? 50 cent jamaicain? smh lol

Lol did you even click on the spoiler in the quote, I removed most (if not all) of the bullshyt off the list.

Biggie (Jamaican parents)
Busta Rhymes (Jamaican parents)
Q-Tip (Father from Anguilla)
Jay-Z (Jamaican father)
Dame Dash (Parents from Barbados)
Shyne (Born in Belize)
Fetty Wap (Half Jamaican/Haitian)
The Fugees (Wyclef and Pras are Haitian)
Slick Rick (Jamaican)
KRS-One (Jamaican)
Guru (Father from Trinidad)
A$AP Rocky (Father from Barbados)
Diddy (His mom is Jamaican)
LL Cool J (Parents from Barbados)
Rakim (Jamaican father)
Eric B. (Jamaican)
Dana Dane (Jamaican)
Foxy Brown (Trini)
Heavy D (Born in Jamaica)
Nicki Minaj (Trinidad)
Lil Kim (Half Jamaican/Trini)
Phife from Tribe Called Quest (Trinidad)
Spliff Star (Jamaican)
Tony Yayo (Haitian)
Fabolous (Dominican father)
Doug E Fresh (Barbados)
Kid from Kid N Play (Jamaican father)
DJ Kool Herc (Founder of hip-hop) is Jamaican
Joey Badass (Jamaican)
Afrika Bambataa (Jamaican)
Safafree(Trinidad)
Jim Jones (Aruba)
MF Doom (Trini)
OC (Dominican)
AZ (Dominican)
JR Writer (Dominican)
Capone & Noriega (Haitian & Puerto Rican)
Juelz Santana (Puerto Rican)
Cam'ron (half Puerto Rican)
Big Noyd (Puerto Rican)

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
False info. Camron is black American. A lot of the people you mentioned are just AA

Well you shouldn't have been disrespectful trying to tell tales my dude. 2 out of 3 greatest rappers in ny are black American nas/jay-z .

You missed the point of the thread. The thread was never about debating Hip Hop creation myths and facts lol

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
You completely ignored everything I wrote.
nikka i can't take you serious. First of all I said the BRONX.

Most Jamaican's that moved to the south bronx:scust: in the 70s/80s ended up moving to the Northern Bronx or Queens. That's how Yardies stay. When we come up we may have no choice but to live in the hoods/ghetto, but the majority do what they can to make it out of those areas.

Im turning 32 in less than 2 months. 28 is still kinda young to know and experience what I'm talking about. Also brahs of carrib descent can usually recognize another brah of carrib descent. Most AA's usually can't recognize a 2nd/3rd generation carrib, unless they tell them!:umad:

I didn't even start with the 2000's New York rappers of carrib descent (Dipset, G-unit, Fab, etc)

It's funny how that works out. My grandfather on my dad's side was from Trinidad but I would never say that I'm Caribbean because I never grew up with the Caribbean culture in the house like that (outside of going to a few carribean festivals growing up).

But it don't matter because somehow someway carribean brehs can still guess that I got some Caribbean lineage. :dwillhuh:.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
What is this thread about?

Claiming and taking credit for stuff.

No, that's not what the thread is about lol. Read the mothafukkin title

Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

80% of the nikkas on this thread did not read past the first half of the title lol. Respect to the 20% that did tho

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
NEGATIVE. It has nothing to do with it. Rap moved on and Miami disproves your point, there are more carib blacks living there...and they're doing Afram music...they're not saying "jamaicans invented this". They just rap and participate. You might see a flag or hear "sak pase"..and some kreyol.
People talmbat Kodak Black. He's Zoe.
No anti afram talk from him at all.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I know a lot of Hispanics that dont speak Spanish but they still claim. My mother doesn't always speak in patois or a Jamaican accent but is a immigrant, so what is she? Outside of hip hop and fashion, what do most 1st gens take from AA?:ld:
A LIFESTYLE.
You're in school 8 hours of the day as a kid.
Going to and coming from school? I'd give that an hour each.
That's 10 hours.
People sleep 8 hours a night and kids play outside and talk to their friends...I'll give "outside time" around 2 hours.
That's 20 hours of non-parental time a day minus weekends, where kids are: Trying to be outside with their friends from the neighborhood. Kicking it with people they met on the block or at school.
People spend more time with their friends and classmates than they do with their parents.
Also: Most caribs are working parents...that's even LESS time.
Assimilation is real. You can eat all the patties you want, if you speak like us, that's it.
Ethnicity is meaningless in the face of a larger mass.
Also: In certain cities, they don't even HAVE other black ethnic groups.
Everybody thinks you're black. Nothing but black people around...no cultural links outside of parents, guess what?
That kid is more us than yard.