Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I believe in absorption. fukk your homeland if you wanna participate in our shyt. If not, make another hov.

What exactly are they being absorbed into though? You said it yourself, to be "American" is to be white. If you're not considered white, you're not American. On the flipside, to be us is to be a 2nd class citizen. NOBODY who isn't born into being AA is going to take on our identity bruh even if they check the black box on the census.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
*Effeminate.
Naw, fam. I'm using logic and shytting on you at the same time. You over there big mad talking about boxing, and who's jamaican. I'm saying that your people are not a factor and don't matter when it comes to AA music...but we DAMN SURE gave y'all a style to run with.
So many facts, so much proof.
You also talking that g shyt behind a screen, but y'all nikkas the ones bodying fakkits whilst being innovators in tight clothes wearing, hair dying, skin bleaching, mesh shirts, and male weave.
Sounds like a bit of latent fakkitry to me.

Being the innovators of tight cloths right? I'm glad you pointed that out. Guess AA rappers and youths are copying 2 decades later right?

Male weave? I guess AA rappers like Fetty Wap is copying right?
Hair dying? I guess Wiz khalifa, young thug, Fetty wap, rich homie, is copying right.

hmmm I guess we are the originators. I tried to tell you, but you wouldn't listen.:mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
What exactly are they being absorbed into though? You said it yourself, to be "American" is to be white. If you're not considered white, you're not American. On the flipside, to be us is to be a 2nd class citizen. NOBODY who isn't born into being AA is going to take on our identity bruh even if they check the black box on the census.
So why is this man trying to write jamaicans into a space they don't occupy? why don't jamaicans exist in places they used to in the US? Did they all just migrate? Nope...absorbed.

Daps
Reppin
Being the innovators of tight cloths right? I'm glad you pointed that out. Guess AA rappers and youths are copying a decade later right.

Male weave? I guess AA rappers like Fetty Wap is copying right?
Hair dying? I guess Wiz khalifa, young thug, Fetty wap, rich homie, is copying right.

hmmm I guess we are the originators. The Alpha males of the diaspora. I tried to tell you, but you wouldn't listen.:mjlol:
I don't listen to any of those young weirdos. "the alpha males of what"? not even your own country because crakkkas own the biggest businesses along with the chinese.
VP records is even owned by chinese.
Y'all are the c00ns of the diaspora, tho...garvey said that. Stop with this fukkery.
I smell a cac.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
I don't listen to any of those young weirdos. "the alpha males of what"? not even your own country because crakkkas own the biggest businesses along with the chinese.
VP records is even owned by chinese.
Y'all are the c00ns of the diaspora, tho...garvey said that. Stop with this fukkery.
I smell a cac.
Emotional effeminate nikka response.
First of all, make up your mind. Do you consider me to be american or jamaican? I was born in Queens, NY to a Jamaican Father, Mother born in the south bronx to Jamaican/Rican parents.
Stop flip flopping.

Your point? Our situation is no different than AA's situation. We own nothing, just like you own nothing. Africans don't even own most of the valueable resources in their own land.

White supremacy is global you dumb ass nikka. Thats why i'm trying to educate you and stop your willie lynch c00nERY.

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
What is the point of this post? Token Negro president and his family?
Isn't he African because his dad is? or nah? goalposts, keep em still.

They are an American family of color and one of the most known American families. Obama is part Kenyan ethnically but fully an American. There is a difference between nationality and ethnicity

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
So why is this man trying to write jamaicans into a space they don't occupy? why don't jamaicans exist in places they used to in the US? Did they all just migrate? Nope...absorbed.

I'm not certain which areas you're referring to so I can't really comment, if your point is to say that they're absorbed into black America like Chicanos are often absorbed into white America though then I agree to an extent only because "black" and "white" are not ethnicity-specific terms. You don't "become" African-American... you either are or you aren't. They become "Americans" who happen to be black. Its the same way you don't become Asian if you raise your black children in China... your children are Chinese people who happen to be black. Obviously though, YOU being AA is going to have a significant impact on their outlook/upbringing particularly if you don't speak a lick of Mandarin.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The consensus here from AA New Yorkers seems to be that the Caribbean presence in NYC Hip Hop is minimal. That being said, if AA's dominate the culture in New York, is car culture/NYC's culture really enough of a distinguishing factor to account for such a large chasm between NYC rap vs. rap from the rest of the country?

East Coast Boule type elitism is the difference.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Mayweather mom is Jamaican
3jamaica News

SMH these nikkas are dumb AF. He has JAMAICAN BLOOD. Mayweather and Tyson.

W-W-W-WAIT A MINUTE...

...were you not just on the last page talmbat how AAs and Jamaicans are the same??
So how does somebody have "Jamaican Blood" differentiated from "American Blood" if they're of the same people??

Daps
Reppin
They are an American family of color and one of the most known American families. Obama is part Kenyan ethnically but fully an American. There is a difference between nationality and ethnicity
I know this. Now, what if somebody is BORN in the US and chooses to embrace the US culture fully?
if they don't speak patois...what are they? this shyt reminds me of broads saying: "I'm not black, I'm jamaican"
What about afrolatinos that don't speak spanish? Isn't the modified language the most important part of the culture? yes.
If you don't speak patois and you're not from there, your PARENTS are jamaican. You tho? just black.
Claim anything you want...You're what you look and sound like.
Black American clothing style? check
Accent? check
Birthplace? check.
Drop that flag then, playboi...it's irrelevant. Everything you know and love is AA. Mommy and daddy from there but YOU NOT.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
See this is why people like you cause division with us, you are straight up telling half truths to fit your agenda!

Mike Tyson was a BROWNSVILLE BROOKLYN nikka. He wasn't southern based on his mothers background. He wasn't Jamaican because of his Fathers background. HE WAS A BROOKLYN,NYC GUY!

I'm not a southerner, even though my family is from there. I'M A BROOKLYN, NYC nikka. It shaped me into who I am, for the most part.

Why can't people like you see this with kids who have family from the islands?

I'm going to stop replying to you because you are causing us to build up anger with your fronting ways, and I don't want to go there.

You talk all this black power stuff, but you sound like an Agent that is supposed to divide us with lies. You need to check yourself.

nikka STFU and stop trying to change up.

You claim to be a black man right? Simple question; If you was born and raised in Japan and you decided to join the track team in high school. You end up being faster than every japanese, on the team. Even the country!

Are you going to attribute this to your black genetics? Your black AA parents? or are you going to attribute that to your japanese upbringing?:mjlol:

We both know the answer. You just don't want to give caribbeans kings the shine we deserve.