Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Nah, not really, especially islanders. AA culture too strong and eating rice/beans is something we do, too.
Public schooling x peers >>> parenting.
Nah, outside of hip hop and fashion, the influence is not that big. Paul wall is more aa than most 1st gens

Jamaican is nothing but a nationality.
If you have children on American soil, they're A/A.

Jamaican is an ethnicity just like African American. Why dont you just call yourself just American?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
The consensus here from AA New Yorkers seems to be that the Caribbean presence in NYC Hip Hop is minimal. That being said, if AA's dominate the culture in New York, is car culture/NYC's culture really enough of a distinguishing factor to account for such a large chasm between NYC rap vs. rap from the rest of the country?
Yeah. Cars are a necessity and right of passage in other communities. People drive at age 16.
The average NYer can go a lifetime without driving. By the time hip hop hit cali, the bass heaviness reigned over the jazziness. People in whips don't want to bump Illmatic.
This cultural shift is why masta ace made "sittin on chrome".

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Bruh, don't tell me that you seriously believe this. If you got real connections back in your homeland you're not AA, that's the defining factor of our identity.
I guess if I was born in Japan, I would be Japanese according to that effemeniate bird ass nikka. SMH Pride comes before the fall. nikka looking real pitiful right about now.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Yeah. Cars are a necessity and right of passage in other communities. People drive at age 16.
The average NYer can go a lifetime without driving. By the time hip hop hit cali, the bass heaviness reigned over the jazziness. People in whips don't want to bump Illmatic.
This cultural shift is why masta ace made "sittin on chrome".

True, New York rap is NOT made for subs at all by and large. It's interesting to consider that a significant but relevantly small difference like that could drastically alter the style of music.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
I can literally go on and on with posting rappers, singers, athletes, scholars, politicians, revolutionaries, all of Jamaican descent. Keep in mind this is just JAMAICAN DESCENT. I didn't even start with my Trini, Bajan,and other Caribbean nikkas.

Daps
Reppin
I guess if I was born in Japan, I would be Japanese according to that effemeniate bird ass nikka. SMH Pride comes before the fall. nikka looking real pitiful right about now.
*Effeminate.
Naw, fam. I'm using logic and shytting on you at the same time. You over there big mad talking about boxing, and who's jamaican. I'm saying that your people are not a factor and don't matter when it comes to AA music...but we DAMN SURE gave y'all a style to run with.
So many facts, so much proof.
You also talking that g shyt behind a screen, but y'all nikkas the ones bodying fakkits whilst being innovators in tight clothes wearing, hair dying, skin bleaching, mesh shirts, and male weave.
Sounds like a bit of latent fakkitry to me.

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
I'm not white, that's what american means.
:usure:
obama-family-portrait-sasha-malia-today-tease-150619_1ddba0ae3952682d6bae521d01abca3d.jpg

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Professional boxer Lennox Claudius Lewis was born on September 2, 1965, in London, England, to Jamaican-born parents. Lewis and his family moved to Kitchener, Ontario, when he was 12 years old.
http://www.biography.com/people/lennox-lewis-9381200#synopsis

Tyson delivers in role of a lifetime
The man listed as his father on his birth certificate is Purcell Tyson, who was Afro-Jamaican.

More Ether.
See this is why people like you cause division with us, you are straight up telling half truths to fit your agenda!

Mike Tyson was a BROWNSVILLE BROOKLYN nikka. He wasn't southern based on his mothers background. He wasn't Jamaican because of his Fathers background. HE WAS A BROOKLYN,NYC GUY!

I'm not a southerner, even though my family is from there. I'M A BROOKLYN, NYC nikka. It shaped me into who I am, for the most part.

Why can't people like you see this with kids who have family from the islands?

I'm going to stop replying to you because you are causing us to build up anger with your fronting ways, and I don't want to go there.

You talk all this black power stuff, but you sound like an Agent that is supposed to divide us with lies. You need to check yourself.

Daps
Reppin
Facts:
Hip hop is 100% A/A music that would exist without jamaican people
Reggae is A/A derived music that would not exist without us.
We are not in a symbiotic relationship.
There are less Jamaicans than A/As and we have a different musical culture.
Our musical culture modified yours more than yours modified ours.
This has nothing to do with anybody's parents, who eats rice and peas, and how you pronounce English.