Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
This thread is a perfect example of the willie lynch syndrome.
This is why we as black people never get anywhere. Ego and Pride.
Why can't we give credit where it's due? Whats wrong with sharing the credit? Every major hip hop publication and credible media outlet agrees with the facts I posted, so in essence the same 3-4 posters opinion doesn't count in the grand scheme of things.

Whats wrong with admitting that Caribbs helped influence hip hop music? Why do you have a problem accepting this? Some nikkas are really in here stating that your birthplace, parents birthblace/history, and culture has NO influence on you as a person.

This all stems from the 1970's when when Jamaicans started coming to NY in by the thousands. African Americans use to look down on Jamaicans and (other Caribbs) because they were poor and had nothing. By the mid 1980s Jamaicans started to move up in society by hustling, getting jobs, buying houses, and moving up outta ghetto's like south bronx and moving to the nicer areas in Northern BX, Queens, etc. So in return, Many Jamaicans began to look down on AA"s because they were still in the same ghetto's.

Hip Hop was birthed in NY and created by AA/ West Indian/ and Puerto Rican influence. Thats facts, thats how it went down in history, and how it will forever remain in history.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Ok i see some people mentioning Florida as well.

Uncle Luke is considered the founding father of the miami bass/rap scene. This style of music went on to influence ATL.

Uncle Luke is Jamaican.

Luke didn't invent the Miami Bass sound

David "Mr. Mixx" Hobbs | Miami, Florida | Producer

During the 1980s, the focus of Miami bass tended to be on DJs and record producers, rather than individual performers. Record labels such as Pandisc, HOT Records, 4-Sight Records and Skyywalker Records released much material of the genre. Unterberger has referred to James (Maggotron) McCauley (also known as DXJ, Maggozulu 2, Planet Detroit and Bass Master Khan) as the "father of Miami bass", a distinction McCauley himself denies, choosing rather to confer that status on producer Amos Larkins.[2]

"Bass Rock Express" by MC ADE (with music and beats produced by Amos Larkins) is often credited as being the first Miami bass record to gain underground popularity on an international scale. The single "Throw The D" by 2 Live Crew (produced by David "Mr. Mixx" Hobbs) in January 1986 gave a permanent blueprint to how future Miami bass songs were written and produced.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Willie Lynch wasn't a real person.
Would it even matter you idiot?
The point i'm trying to make is our people suffer from the conditions listed in that letter.

AA's and Caribs both descend from 400 years of slavery. We are the same exact people! The caribbean in most cases was just a stop before North America. SMH

Name, religion, culture, history, families: stolen, destroyed, and exploited.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
WAIT...Let's not forget....

Baltimore club, also called "Bmore club", "Bmore house" or simply "Bmore" is a breakbeat genre. A blend of hip hop and chopped, staccato house music, it was created in Baltimore, Maryland, United States in the late 1980s by 2 Live Crew's Luther Campbell, Frank Ski, Big Tony (or Miss Tony), Scottie B. and DJ Spen.[1]

oh...nope, no caribs there, either. More music we straight up INVENTED...that became something else foreigners stole.

Daps
Reppin
Would it even matter you idiot?
The point i'm trying to make is our people suffer from the conditions listed in that letter.

AA's and Caribs both descend from 400 years of slavery. Name, religion, culture, history, etc stolen.
Don't try to go the high road now you're proven wrong. I didn't insult your people, you insulted mine.
We pulled out the facts. Don't backtrack into "we supposed to be brothas" Yes. you're the LITTLE BROTHER.