Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
glad i'm teaching you nikkas new words (narrative).
Now let go of the foolish pride and let me teach you hip hop history:

Hip Hop in America
Caribbean roots of hip hop to be explored

Hip Hops Founding Fathers are ALL of Caribbean descent (Afrika Bambaataa, Kool Herc, GM Flash). 2 being born in the Carib (GM Flash and Kool Herc).
Plus the majority of golden era artists like ATCQ, Busta rhymes, etc + one of the GOATS: Biggie all being of caribbean descent.

These are facts.

Last edited:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
glad i'm teaching you nikkas new words (narrative).
Now let go of the foolish pride and let me teach you hip hop history:

Hip Hop in America

Hip Hops Founding Fathers are ALL of Caribbean descent (Afrika Bambaataa, Kool Herc, GM Flash). 2 being born in the Carib (GM Flash and Kool Herc).
Plus the majority of golden era"artist, and one of the GOATS all being of caribbean descent.

These are facts.

:scusthov: SAD!

You can't deal with the truth!

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You nikkas give it up. At this point the reaching is hilarious. Caribbean nikkas FOUNDED hip hop.

More false history that's already been debunked

Pioneers Step Out to Honor Disco King Mario

This Saturday [August 18th] Hip Hop’s pioneers will be coming out in full force to pay tribute to the memory of one of its legendary DJs who passed away a few years back-Disco King Mario. We often hear about the achievements of people like Bambaataa, Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash, but very little is said about some of the other pioneers who also laid down much of the foundation we now call Hip Hop. Cats like Pete DJ Jones, Grand Wizard Theodore, the late DJ Flowers and of course Mario were key architects.

Disco King Mario never released no records. He didn’t produce no major rap stars. I’m not even sure if he ever toured around the world once Hip Hop became known world wide. However, for those of us who were around back in the beginning days of the 70s, Disco King Mario who lived upstairs from my man DJ Paradise of X-Clan over in the Bronxdale Housing projects, was a household name. He was known for throwing some of Hip Hop’s best jams and keeping the party going. He was staple in early Hip Hop whose name and his crew Chuck Chuck City was mentioned on many of the early tapes. One of Mario’s unwritten contributions was how he gave Afrika Bambaattaa a helping hand. He used loan Bam his dj equipment. Later on Bam would face Mario in his first official DJ battle. Back in the early days it was Disco King Mario who was at the top of heap and the man to beat

Today its hard for people to understand the significance of the DJ. When Hip Hop first began it wasn’t the rapper who was in charge. It was the DJ. It was the DJ came to symbolized the African drummer. It was the DJ who kept the pace and set the tone. It was the DJ who rocked the crowd and was the supreme personality who garnered the spot light. Everyone else including the rappers were secondary. Cats from all over came to your party based upon who was deejaying. Hence when Disco King Mario‘s name was mentioned cats came from all over because he was the man. He was the type of cat who simply had that magic and command of the crowd. Sadly he passed away before his time, unknown to many of today’s bling bling artists who benefit from the culture he helped laid down.

chuck-chuck-city-flyer.jpg
If you happen to be in New York, you may see a flyer being circulated around that is reminiscent of the old school flyers from back in the days. ‘By Popular demand DJ Cool Clyde, Lightnin Lance, The Nasty Cuzins, Quiet Az Kept Present their first annual Old School Reunion & Picnic’. It lets you know that the celebration for Disco King Mario is taking place Saturday August 18th at Rosedale ‘Big Park’ in the Bronx. The Big Park itself is legendary. When I was a kid living on Croes Avenue, we were absolutely forbidden to go across the street to the Big Park. That was because the Big Park was where many of many of the early Black Spades used to hang out. The Spades at that time were the largest and most notorious gang at that time. They eventually evolved to become The Mighty Zulu Nation. As for the Big Park, it eventually became the place where Disco King Mario would eventually throw many of his early gigs.

Pioneers Step Out to Honor Disco King Mario - Hip-Hop and Politics

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
More false history that's already been debunked

FOH,
My nikka how old are you? Seriously? and where u from?? You still haven't answered that questions.
You post long winded material, talking around the points being made. Stop that spam my nikka. You do that in EVERY thread, trying to rewrite history. We are discussing Hip hops founding fathers, golden era Mc's, being of Caribb descent.

You nikkas can google your hearts out. You can literally find ANYTHING on the internet to support a narrative (taught you nikkas a new word (narrative) Now let me teach you hip hop history). I even see a thread on the coli suggesting that CACS started rhyming/hip hop at first.

The FACTS are:

Hip Hop in America

Hip Hops Founding Fathers are ALL of Caribbean descent. 2 being born in the Carib. Plus the majority of golden era"artist, and one of the GOATS all being of caribbean descent. These are facts.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
FOH,
My nikka how old are you? Seriously? and where u from?? You still haven't answered that questions.
You post long winded material, talking around the points being made. Stop that spam my nikka. You do that in EVERY thread, trying to rewrite history. We are discussing Hip hops founding fathers, golden era Mc's, being of Caribb descent.

You nikkas can google your hearts out. You can literally find ANYTHING on the internet to support a narrative (taught you nikkas a new word (narrative) Now let me teach you hip hop history). I even see a thread on the coli suggesting that CACS started rhyming/hip hop at first.

The FACTS are:

Hip Hop in America

Hip Hops Founding Fathers are ALL of Caribbean descent. 2 being born in the Carib. Plus the majority of golden era"artist, and one of the GOATS all being of caribbean descent. These are facts.

I've already debunked all your false history:pachaha:

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
FOH,

The FACTS are:

Hip Hop in America

naw you come with facts.:stopitslime:

you been quoted with words coming out of their own mouths what they were influenced by and how their musical culture was not accepted.

AND you got somebody older and more descriptive then you from new york tryna come respectful and you just wanna keep saying they were of carribean descent which means nothing in the context of what your arguing:russ:

now you in here the last page tryna call people out asking how old they are and where they from, but avoiding @lotty for some reason hmm:jbhmm:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I already told breh I was 32. I've lived in NYC...BX...165th and Boston. BK...Prospect and Utica.
That's not where I'm FROM...since I was grown when I moved there.
Oh: People assimilate within a generation. You can eat all the jake food you want, once you've been in the states, you become one of us. Your kids ours, too. nikkas ain't rocking mesh shirts doing the pepper seed, they're wearing snapbacks and speaking AAVE

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Fabolous is dominican and african american.

:what: Dominicans are Caribbean

that makes zero difference. HE GREW UP IN THE BRONX.

One of the points in my OP was about this. It does matter where their folks are from, you're not going to magically be up on Blues/Jazz/folk/etc. as a youngin growing up in the 70s/80s/90s/etc. unless you're being put up on it. I can buy that 1st generation Caribbeans were being exposed to it from AA neighbors and friends and that some Caribbean people were up on AA music back in the Caribbean, but the music you're exposed to has a HUGE influence on the music you make. Aside from regional bias (i.e. the West Coast fukked with P-Funk, the Midwest fukked with MoTown, etc.) the shared musicalheritage of people whose families were originally from the South is an important link imo.

That being said, your point about car culture is a good one.