Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Caribbean people didn't play caribbean music.
Florida rappers don't sound like NY rappers and a lot of them are carib.
If us hip hop was carib influenced (instead of the other way around...carib music is a direct bite of american music...ALL OF IT..minus the pots and pan calypso/ancestral music) it would be way more restricted and repetitive like dancehall is now.
Same beat for 30 years and counting.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
:what: Dominicans are Caribbean

One of the points in my OP was about this. It does matter where their folks are from, you're not going to magically be up on Blues/Jazz/folk/etc. as a youngin growing up in the 70s/80s/90s/etc. unless you're being put up on it. I can buy that 1st generation Caribbeans were being exposed to it from AA neighbors and friends and that some Caribbean people were up on AA music back in the Caribbean, but the music you're exposed to has a HUGE influence on the music you make. Aside from regional bias (i.e. the West Coast fukked with P-Funk, the Midwest fukked with MoTown, etc.) the shared musicalheritage of people whose families were originally from the South is an important link imo.

That being said, your point about car culture is a good one.
P funk comes from the Midwest, breh.
So does Motown.
The west didn't really have it's own bounce until Dayton nikkas got out there.
That's why the LA brehs still ride Dayton rims and wear DAYTON pigtails.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
So does Motown.

I'm aware of the Midwestern/Western connection, half of my people originally from Gary. My point though is that it don't make no sense to act like there's no difference between 1st or even 2nd generation Caribbean immigrants and AAs in New York.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Black people started hip hop, not the West Injuns. They were around black people got the style and did their thing. It was from seeing black culture.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Black people started hip hop, not the West Injuns. They were around black people got the style and did their thing. It was from seeing black culture.

This was never the question being posed in the thread though. A lotta nikkas entered this thread seeing the words "Caribbean" and "New York Hip Hop" and assumed that's what it was about lol.

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So does Motown.

No P-funk comes from Jersey. George Clinton, Bernie Worrell and Eddie are all from Plainfield New Jersey. And before Daytons got popular we rode Zenith or Cragers.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
naw you come with facts.:stopitslime:

you been quoted with words coming out of their own mouths what they were influenced by and how their musical culture was not accepted.

AND you got somebody older and more descriptive then you from new york tryna come respectful and you just wanna keep saying they were of carribean descent which means nothing in the context of what your arguing:russ:

now you in here the last page tryna call people out asking how old they are and where they from, but avoiding @lotty for some reason hmm:jbhmm:

You sound butt hurt and ready to join in the AA circle jerk.

1. I do not support willie lynch syndrome like you dumb ass nikkas. I give credit where it's due.
2. Only a fool would deny that a persons birthplace, heritage, and descent would influence their life, arts, and culture.
3. @IllmaticDelta never answered: where are you from? and age? All this nikka does is post material that talks around the subject. What is the point of posting 5-7 videos in one post? That shyt is spam my G. All it does is slow down the thread. If he's going to post a video, at least post the time range of the point you are trying to make. Also you can find material to support any narrative on the internet.
4. I already addressed @lotty. What is the point of going back and forth, when we are both making the same posts?
5. I'm the only person of Caribb descent responding in this thread. I can't address everyone instantly or all at once.

6. Again: HIP HOPS FOUNDING FATHERS ARE ALL CARIBBEAN. MANY GOLDEN AGE MC'S ARE ALSO OF CARIBB DESCENT. These are facts.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Another point. When somebody ask Caribbean nikkas "where you from?" they say what state/city the grew up in or where they currently live.

Example somebody from Cali may ask my dad "where you from?
His response is always "New York" with a heavy Jamaican accent. Then If someone else ask's "oh you have an accent" then he will say Jamaica.

It's the same thing with people of Caribb descent born in America. Whenever somebody ask me "where you from?" the response is always NY. Depending on the convo, I will mention that my parents are Jamaican. If i'm in NY "Queens."

Simple reasoning.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Ok i see some people mentioning Florida as well.

Uncle Luke is considered the founding father of the miami bass/rap scene. This style of music went on to influence ATL.

Uncle Luke is Jamaican.