Does anyone know a comfortably retired black man or women, who wasn’t in the armed forces or worked for the government?

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
I don't know of any retired people who worked for corporate America.

can you explain? how is a retired city worker not the government? a city or a county is still the government, it's just not state or federal. education workers can go either way depending on where they worked.
It's crazy that so many people don't understand this.

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Only folks I know served in either of the two capacities in the OP.

Ironic bc I just increase my contributions to retirement. Im tryna coast when the day comes.:wow:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Yes. What is your reasoning behind asking this question?

It's not obvious?

Most Black People can only retire comfortably if they worked in the public sector.

Because the private sector
1) wasn't trying to hire us (then and now)
2) if they did, they're not trying to pay good retirement packages.
3) Unicorn Black people that buck the trends...

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Lowkey this is a thread about how old folks used pension plans to get ahead.

One of my grandpops had a pension and IRA.

Nowadays that would all be matching 401k in the best case scenario.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lowkey this is a thread about how old folks used pension plans to get ahead.

One of my grandpops had a pension and IRA.

Nowadays that would all be matching 401k in the best case scenario.
in general the government is still the only good way to get a real "guaranteed" pension in this country whether you are black/cac/bipoc

and even those are always at threat due to republicans.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great thread idea. 5*

Folks can rail against the gov't all they wish....it's not all bad by a country mile.
as someone who had parents who worked for the government and then worked for the government for my first few years out of college.

I found that a lot of the favoritism and racist shyt that people claim doesn't exist in the government is still there once you're in it and looking for promotions and advancement... and it's really hard to prove it if you're going to HR. but I do think a lot of it is removed in the actual hiring process, so it's a good way for people to get their foot in the door. even as temp government employees at first.

i left for private industry a few years ago to build my resume and make more cash immediately, but my plan is always to go back due to the pension that i already paid into.

i would say overall it's the safest way to retire, but like i said a couple posts above, republicans are trying as hard to fukk with pension funds just like they want to fukk with social security.

i still think it's a great place to look for work and people should realize there are a lot of government jobs that aren't just sitting in an office being a bureaucrat.

Last edited:

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Everyone I know that is retired and living comfortably is from government agency of some sort

I currently am a govt employee as well for that very reason.. when I was deciding what to do for a career that was super high on the list of things I needed. The ability to have a pension plus add on via TSP is one of the only reasons I do what I do (Air Traffic Controller)

Know a bunch of prior military, then a couple others who worked in another government agency and put their time in. Get a pension plus real estate is the main thing I’ve seen

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My Parents who have been married for over 40 years. House is paid off my mom just retired last September at 65 she worked doing customs for makita power tools. My dad retired in his early 50s and he worked for gm back in 2009. He got the package of the century they gave him a truck and 100,000 dollars and they paid him up until his old age pension kicked in.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My Parents who have been married for over 40 years. House is paid off my mom just retired last September at 65 she worked doing customs for makita power tools. My dad retired in his early 50s and he worked for gm back in 2009. He got the package of the century they gave him a truck and 100,000 dollars and they paid him up until his old age pension kicked in.
does GM still offer those pensions to their employees?

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
Working for the government is a huge reason alot of black people have had upward trajectory and being able to get into the working class with steady income , its why the republicans and conservatives whine and complain about government workers and bureaucrats to them those are just lazy minorities on the government pay or just liberal voting folks