Does anyone know a comfortably retired black man or women, who wasn’t in the armed forces or worked for the government?

King Poetic

R.I.P. GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
My Dad(RIP)

Work for Chrysler for decades, retired and his house was paid off, no car loan debt, no credit card debt and all he did was just relax, took trips with my mom twice a year and walked a mile everyday..

My Uncle(RIP) worked for the MTA , retired and same as my dad everything was paid off..

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My Dad(RIP)

Work for Chrysler for decades, retired and his house was paid off, no car loan debt, no credit card debt and all he did was just relax, took trips with my mom twice a year and walked a mile everyday..

My Uncle(RIP) worked for the MTA , retired and same as my dad everything was paid off..
MTA is a government job

auto manufacturers did used to offer some great employment opportunities, especially 30-60 years ago. they're still good to some degree if you can get them, but they used to give people real pensions and shyt that got removed from private employment for 401ks and other shyt.

that's why detroit got so many black folks, then they shipped a lot of the jobs overseas. especially after NAFTA, then they even left north america.

shyt is sad. fukk capitalism and globalism.

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
My pops could have retired a long time ago. Hes a insurance agent. He just dont have to because he gets a percentage of his team members/agent's policy sales. If he retires somebody else gets the free checks

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Working for the government is a huge reason alot of black people have had upward trajectory and being able to get into the working class with steady income , its why the republicans and conservatives whine and complain about government workers and bureaucrats to them those are just lazy minorities on the government pay or just liberal voting folks
Literally the reason DC was chocolate city. And the surrounding suburbs to this day.

Kano

All Star
Daps
My father. He actually retired at 67 and had a lump sum given to him because he could’ve retired at 65. My mom still works but she doesn’t have to. She’ll retire soon as well. In any emergency my older brothers and I would step in and help but my parents are very comfortable.

Edit - he also has a good amount of land in Nigeria that’s he’s held on to for a long time. One thing I’m sure he wishes he did was buy a house here in America.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
My father retired from US Steel in 98 and passed in 2021. He enjoyed a lengthy retirement.

I have an uncle that retired as a Miller (beer) salesman.

I have an aunt that is semi-retired as a lawyer.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
my oldest uncle retired at 60 back in 04

came here in the early 70s

use to work at various companies in silicon valley for 25+ years

after retirement, he moved to liberia for years to start business ventures.

didn't work out because liberia is the WOAT

but found a lady 35+ younger than him out there, married her and got two kids, him and all of them have been back in Calif since 2014

did i mention this is on top of having 7 grown kids, 15 grandkids and 5 grandchildren? :ehh:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The vast majority of railroad jobs are private sector. Only a handful are public sector and even less of the municipal ones pay into railroad retirement.

yeah you're right.

I thought the way congress/Biden were able to intervene in their last labor negotiations and made shyt happen immediately was due to them being government employees :patrice:

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
yeah you're right.

I thought the way congress/Biden were able to intervene in their last labor negotiations and made shyt happen immediately was due to them being government employees :patrice:
No. In the early days of the railroads they were going on strike every few months (different crafts), so the government came up with the Railway Labor Act. Railway and airline workers are governed by it. It keeps labor organizations from going on strike and railroads from being able to lockout employees without meeting a bunch of prerequisites. Part of the process, toward the end before we can strike Is government intervention. That was part of the government intervention. It’s a lot more complicated than that but that’s the condensed layman version.