Does anyone know a comfortably retired black man or women, who wasn’t in the armed forces or worked for the government?

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No. In the early days of the railroads they were going on strike every few months (different crafts), so the government came up with the Railway Labor Act. Railway and airline workers are governed by it. It keeps labor organizations from going on strike and railroads from being able to lockout employees without meeting a bunch of prerequisites. Part of the process, toward the end before we can strike Is government intervention. That was part of the government intervention. It’s a lot more complicated than that but that’s the condensed layman version.
yeah i read up on it a bit.

well shyt, i'm glad people were able to retire comfortably because that shyt sounds like a very taxing and thankless job given some of the descriptions i read/heard during the last labor negotiations.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
my oldest uncle retired at 60 back in 04, came here in the early 70s, use to work at various companies in silicon valley for 25+ years

after retirement, he moved to liberia for years to start business ventures, didn't work out because liberia is the WOAT, but found a lady 35+ younger than him out there, married her and got two kids, him and all of them have been back in Calif since 2014

did i mention this is on top of having 7 grown kids, 15 grandkids and 5 grandchildren? :ehh:
He had a hell of a life.
:whew:

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
yeah i read up on it a bit.

well shyt, i'm glad people were able to retire comfortably because that shyt sounds like a very taxing and thankless job given some of the descriptions i read/heard during the last labor negotiations.
There was some theater involved in that, but it’s truth

Daps
It's not obvious?

Most Black People can only retire comfortably if they worked in the public sector.

Because the private sector
1) wasn't trying to hire us (then and now)
2) if they did, they're not trying to pay good retirement packages.
3) Unicorn Black people that buck the trends...
Would add 2b) or they run into the glass ceiling and don’t get promoted to executive roles (e.g. Director, VP, C-suite) where you’re REALLY stacking long-term bread

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
My father is retired but he was in the marines and worked for the state.

My aunt through marriage is a retired principal.

Those are the only 2 people I know who are retired.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
Uh, several…
Chemical engineering, electrical engineering, accounting, finance, actuarial science, dentistry, academia, nursing, medicine, senior hospital management/administration, senior academic administration, definitely blue collar trades like HVAC and plumbing as well…
How could I forget tech!

And there are plenty more high paying careers out there :manny:

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not obvious?

Most Black People can only retire comfortably if they worked in the public sector.

Because the private sector
1) wasn't trying to hire us (then and now)
2) if they did, they're not trying to pay good retirement packages.
3) Unicorn Black people that buck the trends...
So OP is an idiot. Got it.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
So OP is an idiot. Got it.

He might be trying to make a point, start a discussion....but like a lot of political/economic/financial stuff on The Coli - a lot of it is obvious, and usually worse than whatever cats think it is.

Desegregation lead to small levels of integration, and it shows up in all of our stats. Wealth Gap, Health Gap, Lifespan Gap, Glass Ceiling, Minority Set Asides, DEI, Affirmative Action, Profiling/Arrest/Conviction/Imprisonment, Grades, Food Quality, Air Quality, on and on and on...

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
Uh, several…
Chemical engineering, electrical engineering, accounting, finance, actuarial science, dentistry, academia, nursing, medicine, senior hospital management/administration, senior academic administration, definitely blue collar trades like HVAC and plumbing as well…
How could I forget tech!

And there are plenty more high paying careers out there :manny:

That’s 15 professions you just listed.

You know, a minimum of 15 retired people, who were all in Corporate America or private practice?

Most people don’t even know 15 people period, but you know 15 retired people alone and none of them had shyt to do with the government?

Aight, we can let this thread die. :beli:

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps

You know, a minimum of 15 retired people, who were all in Corporate America or private practice?

Most people don’t even know 15 people period, but you know 15 retired people alone and none of them had shyt to do with the government?

………👀👀👀👀👀

Yes, babe. #1 my family is huge. #2 their network of friends/former colleagues is vast as well.

Y’all think people are BSing on here when we talk about the importance of college but THIS IS WHY.

Do I have cousins and friends in the federal government who will be eligible for retirement by 44 and 50 because they got with the government right after undergrad or grad school? Hell yea.

Do I have relatives who retired at 50 after 30yrs in the military? Hell yea.

But majority of my family is private sector and have been in corporate America and academia for multiple generations.

There are Black folks on this very site who have the same lived experience as me. Hell, a few are actually boule and have had an experience that I haven’t reached.

For context, I’ve also stated that I’m the “slacker” in my family because I only have a bachelors lol

I wasn’t listing their professions to brag, but to just show that there are plenty of Black folks out here getting it.

If you walk on one HBCU campus you’re looking at thousands and thousands of future white collar professionals who will be making great money down the line and able to retire. That’s what some of us were raised around. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps

ALSO- if we’re talking about people who are retired then we’re most likely talking about people who are like 60+

Why is it so hard to believe people who are like 2x our age retired well?

And how can someone not know 15 people total when accounting for FAMILY, plus friends, family friends, parents of your friends, etc? Plus just networking.

Not to mention just simple networking and making friends.’When I mentioned dentistry I wasn’t even thinking of my cousin because she’s still practicing, but the two elder Black women who are family friends who were our dentists when we were kids.

🤷🏾‍♀️