Do you think Microsoft will eventually drop hardware and go 3rd party?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You just said console hardware isn’t a priority for them any more, they just bought the biggest 3rd party publisher for mobile and pc growth which means it will matter even less by next month.

I dont think playstation and xbox have the same idea about selling hardware. It is still very much a focus for Sony
By this logic I guess you feel like Sony is going into the hardware market more and focusing less on games.

It's not a all or nothing thing.

Sonys focus is hardware but they need software to push it.

MS focus is going to be software but they still need centralized hardware for that software that it can call home.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
By this logic I guess you feel like Sony is going into the hardware market more and focusing less on games.

Sony is pretty much sticking to their 5 generation gameplan and it will be their 4th 100 million selling console because of it, if not their 2nd highest selling. Their hardware is their priority.

Thats why it was always dumb to suggest they release their biggest games day one on PC. Thats not how you sell MORE hardware

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
~2018 was the start of their current strategy.

Revenue has done nothing but increase since then.

Last year was the best ever by far. This year is still higher than any year other than 22.

One cannot make “record” revenue if the current year is less than the previous though :jbhmm:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony is pretty much sticking to their 5 generation gameplan and it will be their 4th 100 million selling console because of it, if not their 2nd highest selling. Their hardware is their priority.

Thats why it was always dumb to suggest they release their biggest games day one on PC. Thats not how you sell MORE hardware
You said the same thing about 1st party games being on PC at all initially. But here we are

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Realistically. I see Microsoft giving it one last go for the next console generation but they need to knock this one out the park or at least be competitive with what is out there.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
If Microsoft goes third party, then they should just bow out of gaming. I don't see a future where you let go of having a marketplace with 60million+ customers. Not being able to capitalize on micotransactions and purchases makes their gaming endeavors not that valuable. Lets face it most PC gamers don't touch the windows store and without consoles, they'll lose most of their gamepass subs. Anyways, I don't see this happening because hardware is key for driving gamepass

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
You can utilize Gamepass on other platforms and the noteworthy exclusives trickle out too slowly to justify purchasing an Xbox to collect dust while you wait. Moeover, you can play all of their exclusives with superior fidelity/FPS on the PC day one. You'll be waiting potentially 1 - 3 years for a Sony title to make its' way to PC. There just isn't any incentive to purchase one right now for most gamers.