Do you think Angela Bassett sabatoged her own career?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
But thats not self sabotage as you put it. That's her being picky, like she said.

And nah lets not compare her to Cuba seeing as how she's been doing successful stuff for the past 20. Cuba would still be thought of as straight to video guy if not for the OJ mini and even that was Courtney B Vance's show.

We don't know her situation, we don't know how many scripts come her way or don't. You're assuming that no one's throwing anything at her when in reality, it could be like she said, she's selective. Not everyone wants to be nick cage or chevy chase in the 80s status, just taking every script that comes their way just because

From 2009- present, she's been in Notorious, had a recurring role on ER for almost two years, jumping the broom, green lantern, olympus has fallen/london has fallen, Chi-Raq, a lot of voice work, including Bojack Horseman, and has been hand in hand with Ryan Murphy for the past four years. I listened to a podcast she was on last year where the nerdist hosts really wanted her to be in the new star trek show and she said she'd like to do it if offered but she's really busy doing american horror story and doesn't know how she'd do both. It seems like she's good working in that realm so it doesn't seem like "sabotage" to me

1) first off i was asking a question - It appears she sabotaged her career, maybe she didn't go back to the initial post

2) you said she was working for the past 2 decades, so has cuba gooding. I didn't say what types of movies, the man has been working.

3) I know what movies she's done I have access to IMDB like you, but doing voice over work is not the same as doing The Help, Hidden Figures, and Fences - that comment will make you feel some type of way but I'm just having honest non-emotional discussion. sure that work PAYS, but it's not the same level of work and you know it.

Youre looking at it like what you think she should be doing not taking into account her pattern of work whixh has been consistent and variant.

This is more about you wanting angela to play a certain type of role more then it is taking notice to a speedbump in her career, that doesnt exist.

Why dont you call her agent and ask him to find her more crackhead roles

not sure where any of this came from nor what it has to do with the thread topic...

I simply asked a question. and what's wrong with playing a crackhead? halle has played a crackhead multiple times, she's also played corporate women

that's what being an actor/actress is about, playing different ranges of characters :skip:

and you're trying to be funny saying I should call her agent, when i just posted her saying that she herself admits to being selective and turning down those types of roles :mindblown:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
1) first off i was asking a question - It appears she sabotaged her career, maybe she didn't go back to the initial post

2) you said she was working for the past 2 decades, so has cuba gooding. I didn't say what types of movies, the man has been working.

3) I know what movies she's done I have access to IMDB like you, but doing voice over work is not the same as doing The Help, Hidden Figures, and Fences - that comment will make you feel some type of way but I'm just having honest non-emotional discussion. sure that work PAYS, but it's not the same level of work and you know it.

not sure where any of this came from nor what it has to do with the thread topic...

I simply asked a question. and what's wrong with playing a crackhead? halle has played a crackhead multiple times, she's also played corporate women

that's what being an actor/actress is about, playing different ranges of characters :skip:

and you're trying to be funny saying I should call her agent, when i just posted her saying that she herself admits to being selective and turning down those types of roles :mindblown:

But homie that's assuming she WANTS to do the help or hidden figures or fences or wasn't offered the roles to begin with. I get what you're saying but you need a lot more info to go on to even raise the question. You'd have to know her story, her business, her situation, etc etc. I know she said since she's had kids, she's wanted to work less (again, the nerdist podcast) or at least do work that allows her to spend time with them more often. So to me, that sounds like a lifestyle choice

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
Wasn't she originally cast for 'Monster's Ball' but backed out because of the sex scene with that white guy?

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. If you want to argue she should be doing more or you want her to do more that you're into, that's cool. That's valid. But to say she hit bump in the road seems silly when i look at that imdb

Low key op was trying to say angela needs to do more "typical" roles for black women, perhaps sacrificing princples and some dignity to stay active based on a false perception that shes not getting work because shes uppity.

Based on the imdb its obvious shes an artist that does what she wants and has the talent and respect within the industry to stay as busy as she wants to be and thats a good space to be in for an artist.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
But homie that's assuming she WANTS to do the help or hidden figures or fences or wasn't offered the roles to begin with. I get what you're saying but you need a lot more info to go on to even raise the question. You'd have to know her story, her business, her situation, etc etc. I know she said since she's had kids, she's wanted to work less (again, the nerdist podcast) or at least do work that allows her to spend time with them more often. So to me, that sounds like a lifestyle choice

:patrice: but i just posted a whole interview in her own words addressing her career "selectiveness" in her own words.

she said she was selective early on in her career and now isn't as much so.

why are you ignoring this?

1155.gif

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:patrice: but i just posted a whole interview in her own words addressing her career "selectiveness" in her own words.

1155.gif

Because the interview you posted is from '08 and the interview I'm referencing is from last year

Nerdist Podcast: Angela Bassett | Nerdist

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps

1155.gif
Your definition of less selective and hers may be two different things.

Less selective to her may be playing a voo doo witch or voicing a cartoon character instead of taking a role playing a crackhead.

You just seem bent on her playing a specific role

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Wasn't she originally cast for 'Monster's Ball' but backed out because of the sex scene with that white guy?

yes
Low key op was trying to say angela needs to do more "typical" roles for black women, perhaps sacrificing princples and some dignity to stay active based on a false perception that shes not getting work because shes uppity.

Based on the imdb its obvious shes an artist that does what she wants and has the talent and respect within the industry to stay as busy as she wants to be and thats a good space to be in for an artist.

:mjlol: i'm right here fam you can address your comments to me

and that's not what I mean at all. I'm just saying as an actress you play a wide variety of roles - this is called range

when you refuse to play certain characters, you limit your job opportunities and your range

i already told you all that this happens frequently with stars (val kilmer and mike myers off the top of my head)

and it hurts their careers when they start to fizzle out...people aren't willing to extend olive branches and keep you afloat

will smith is one of the best people to work with for this - he will always work because he doesn't burn bridges behind the scenes

mark my words, he will never do video game voice over work. neither will denzel washington.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
yes

:mjlol: i'm right here fam you can address your comments to me

and that's not what I mean at all. I'm just saying as an actress you play a wide variety of roles - this is called range

when you refuse to play certain characters, you limit your job opportunities and your range

i already told you all that this happens frequently with stars (val kilmer and mike myers off the top of my head)

and it hurts their careers when they start to fizzle out...people aren't willing to extend olive branches and keep you afloat

will smith is one of the best people to work with for this - he will always work because he doesn't burn bridges behind the scenes

mark my words, he will never do video game voice over work. neither will denzel washington.
But show me where shes fizzling.

Show me where shes burned bridges.

Its like im arguing with your imagination

The imdb isnt backing up what youre saying.

Im sorry but you Lauced

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Why are you comparing Angella, who at the HEIGHT of her career was a B list celebrity to legitimate worldwide movie stars like Denzel and Will Smith?:why:

And why are you acting like only actors with sabotaged careers do voice work? Voice work is extremely lucrative and fun for many actors and actresses. Sean Bean, Samuel L Jackson, Patrick Stewart, Liam Neason, Christopher Walken, and a bunch of others have done video games while still having a thriving career.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
queen angella would not accept offers to play a hoe or a crack head. the reason is the her fellow black actress has done those roles adnauseum she can't add anything authentic to that. look at her back ground that would be incomprehensible to her. that's why you would not see certain actors play that role