Do you think Angela Bassett sabatoged her own career?

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Her husband Courtney B. Vance played Johnny Cochran to the motherfuucking tee. She a team now. She's good.

They're some overachieving Negroes, too. Courtney did his undergrad at Harvard and his grad years at Yale, while Angela did undergrad and grad at Yale.

Ricky Dunigan

Superstar
Daps
i think she's ok with where she's at. Her career seems to have been on her terms, and shes at the phase where she's making that steady tv money.

i mean shyt, Macey in Strange Days >>>>>

swampfox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't understand why she had to be compared to Viola Davis. Bassett's career is solidified. Both are successful. Maybe Davis just reminds you of Bassett. There's room for both.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
what happen in her career was after the tina turner role, her team insisted that she gets leadind lady type roles. what should have happen was have her do ensemble or broadway

Lady.Libra.

~balance~
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
VII
I think she takes her craft seriously and wanted to have a body of work that she would be proud of.

It was a little weird seeing her in Tyler Perry films though...OTOH, her acting abilities are ok to me.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
It was a little weird seeing her in Tyler Perry films though...OTOH, her acting abilities are ok to me.

Taraji P. Henson said that after she got her Oscar nomination, the only person who contacted her was Tyler. I think his work is trash, but he keeps our actors working. Look at how many black people were in For Colored Girls alone - many of them older (Whoopi Goldberg, Loretta Devine and Phylicia Rashad). Cicely Tyson was in a TP film as well, and nobody can argue her bona fides.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
quotes from an interview with TODAY in 2008 about her Tyler Perry movie:

Angela Bassett is not too picky for Tyler Perry

- Some folks might call her picky but Bassett, who is an undercover comedienne, was slightly taken aback by that notion.

“Really? Do I come off that way?” she said with a hearty laugh. After a little discussion it was determined that perhaps she had just been more “selective” in the past.

“Hey, there you go,” she said. “That is a better word.” :gucci:

“In the beginning I didn’t want to do the wrong thing and you want to get a little further up,” she said. “But then you start to think about how many more years of opportunity do I have, especially in this country. We’re not Paris or somewhere that reveres the wise and mature woman (laughs). Yeah, I’ll come over and do that with you. Just tell me that I’m wonderful!”

"“He said before I signed on that it’s going to get panned,” Bassett said with a laugh. “I’m looking for opportunity and I’m looking for experience. C’mon let me have this experience. If there’s some value that I see or if I have the opportunity I’m going to bring the best that I have and I can to the moment and see how I can add to it.” :gucci:

wow. let some of you tell it, all of this is just random scatterbrained nonsense from some random dude on the internet...
how can it be that TODAY and Angela Bassett herself admits that her being selective has relegated her to being thankful for getting work in movies that she knows will be panned by critics?

giphy.gif

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Don't understand why she had to be compared to Viola Davis. Bassett's career is solidified. Both are successful. Maybe Davis just reminds you of Bassett. There's room for both.

you're looking at this from a sociopolitical standpoint. fairness, black womanhood, and all that emotional nonsense
i'm looking at it as a business. again - when they cast movies, they look for the best actresses/actors that fit those roles
clearly she was getting work thrown at her in the 90's and she was picky and turned most of them down for superficial reasons
and it's perhaps coming back to haunt her.

Yeah nah you're bugging homie. She's been working consistently for the past two decades

so has cuba gooding jr. :francis:

Angela is about to play queen mother in Black Panther though. She does at least two projects a year and KIM.

Thread is trash really

:patrice: I already pointed that out. I never said her career was dead or anything of the sorts

and if you look at her last decent leading acting roles, they came from spike, tyler perry, and ryan coogler; all black filmmakers.

go look at her IMDB page for everything else she's done and compare them and try to get out of your feelings while you're at it.

Taraji P. Henson said that after she got her Oscar nomination, the only person who contacted her was Tyler. I think his work is trash, but he keeps our actors working. Look at how many black people were in For Colored Girls alone - many of them older (Whoopi Goldberg, Loretta Devine and Phylicia Rashad). Cicely Tyson was in a TP film as well, and nobody can argue her bona fides.

may have to re-read that quote because she was nominated in 1993 - she did Stella, Waiting to Exhale, and Contact after that...
she was one of the hottest actresses in hollywood AFTER her nomination

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
quotes from an interview with TODAY in 2008 about her Tyler Perry movie:

Angela Bassett is not too picky for Tyler Perry

- Some folks might call her picky but Bassett, who is an undercover comedienne, was slightly taken aback by that notion.

“Really? Do I come off that way?” she said with a hearty laugh. After a little discussion it was determined that perhaps she had just been more “selective” in the past.

“Hey, there you go,” she said. “That is a better word.” :gucci:

“In the beginning I didn’t want to do the wrong thing and you want to get a little further up,” she said. “But then you start to think about how many more years of opportunity do I have, especially in this country. We’re not Paris or somewhere that reveres the wise and mature woman (laughs). Yeah, I’ll come over and do that with you. Just tell me that I’m wonderful!”

"“He said before I signed on that it’s going to get panned,” Bassett said with a laugh. “I’m looking for opportunity and I’m looking for experience. C’mon let me have this experience. If there’s some value that I see or if I have the opportunity I’m going to bring the best that I have and I can to the moment and see how I can add to it.” :gucci:

wow. let some of you tell it, all of this is just random scatterbrained nonsense from some random dude on the internet...
how can it be that TODAY and Angela Bassett herself admits that her being selective has relegated her to being thankful for getting work in movies that she knows will be panned by critics?

giphy.gif

But thats not self sabotage as you put it. That's her being picky, like she said.

And nah lets not compare her to Cuba seeing as how she's been doing successful stuff for the past 20. Cuba would still be thought of as straight to video guy if not for the OJ mini and even that was Courtney B Vance's show.

We don't know her situation, we don't know how many scripts come her way or don't. You're assuming that no one's throwing anything at her when in reality, it could be like she said, she's selective. Not everyone wants to be nick cage or chevy chase in the 80s status, just taking every script that comes their way just because

From 2009- present, she's been in Notorious, had a recurring role on ER for almost two years, jumping the broom, green lantern, olympus has fallen/london has fallen, Chi-Raq, a lot of voice work, including Bojack Horseman, and has been hand in hand with Ryan Murphy for the past four years. I listened to a podcast she was on last year where the nerdist hosts really wanted her to be in the new star trek show and she said she'd like to do it if offered but she's really busy doing american horror story and doesn't know how she'd do both. It seems like she's good working in that realm so it doesn't seem like "sabotage" to me

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
you're looking at this from a sociopolitical standpoint. fairness, black womanhood, and all that emotional nonsense
i'm looking at it as a business. again - when they cast movies, they look for the best actresses/actors that fit those roles
clearly she was getting work thrown at her in the 90's and she was picky and turned most of them down for superficial reasons
and it's perhaps coming back to haunt her.

so has cuba gooding jr. :francis:

:patrice: I already pointed that out. I never said her career was dead or anything of the sorts

and if you look at her last decent leading acting roles, they came from spike, tyler perry, and ryan coogler; all black filmmakers.

go look at her IMDB page for everything else she's done and compare them and try to get out of your feelings while you're at it.

may have to re-read that quote because she was nominated in 1993 - she did Stella, Waiting to Exhale, and Contact after that...
she was one of the hottest actresses in hollywood AFTER her nomination
Youre looking at it like what you think she should be doing not taking into account her pattern of work whixh has been consistent and variant.

This is more about you wanting angela to play a certain type of role more then it is taking notice to a speedbump in her career, that doesnt exist.

Why dont you call her agent and ask him to find her more crackhead roles :skip:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Youre looking at it like what you think she should be doing nit taking into account her pattern of work whixh has been consistent and variant.

This is more about you wanting angela to play a certain type of role more then it is taking notice to a speedbump in her career, that doesnt exist.

Exactly. If you want to argue she should be doing more or you want her to do more that you're into, that's cool. That's valid. But to say she hit bump in the road seems silly when i look at that imdb