Do you think Angela Bassett sabatoged her own career?

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
:mjlol:

So if only Angela Bassett played a crackhead during the 90s then maybe she could have got a background role with 5 minutes of screen time in Creed and Empire:mjgrin:

Do you even hear yourself? You say she's missing out on "all of these good roles" and you throw out supporting character roles as if she isn't filming a supporting character role for a blockbuster (by Ryan Coogler mind you) right now. You have this weird expectation of "good roles" being passed to black women if only they would play your version of a flawed character. But that's not how it has ever worked.

Monica Calhoun fukked on camera, got raped on camera, and played a "flawed woman" and fell off the face of the earth.

Monique won an oscar playing a fukked up woman and can't get any work.

Jennifer Hudson won an oscar and can't get any work.

Rosario Dawson has been raped and on drugs in films and she's almost exclusively transitioned to voice work and tv.

You'd be hard pressed to remember anything Loretta Devine has been in the last 5 years even though she plays "flawed".

Anika Noni Rose has played flawed.....very little work

Thandie Newton played flawed in an oscar winning movie and didn't get much afterwards.

Kimberly Elise began her career playing flawed and hasn't done much.

I really could go on and on. Black women are regulated to very specific supporting roles in most cases, and whether they play a crackhead or not has very little do do with the quality of roles they get offered afterwards. Her "sabotaged" career is indistinguishable from the careers 99% of black actresses, because black women don't shine in general in Hollywood. And at any point, there is usually only a spot or two available for black women in prestige roles. You can't sabotage opportunities that don't actually exist.

Viola herself would tell you this.

Pretty much every woman you named faced the same dilemma: they hit 40. And unless you're Meryl Streep or Sandra Bullock, movie roles dry up when you hit that age. It's been like that for decades. Except now, older women can now get work on TV:

Loretta Devine is on the Carmichael Show.
Thandie Newton is on Westworld.
Rosario does the Marvel Netflix shows.
Kimberly Elise is on Hit The Floor (VH1).
Anika Rose is on The Quad, and she'll always get theater work since she kills it on stage.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Pretty much every woman you named faced the same dilemma: they hit 40. And unless you're Meryl Streep or Sandra Bullock, movie roles dry up when you hit that age. It's been like that for decades. Except now, older women can now get work on TV:

Loretta Devine is on the Carmichael Show.
Thandie Newton is on Westworld.
Rosario does the Marvel Netflix shows.
Kimberly Elise is on Hit The Floor (VH1).
Anika Rose is on The Quad, and she'll always get theater work since she kills it on stage.

Word

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
This really is a terrible thread

:jbhmm: care to expound on this?

when you saw her lip locking with lady gaga and straddling her in a bed you just :manny:

that wasn't beneath her at all in your opinion? doing voice over work on bo-jack horseman isn't beneath her?

you don't think she should have at least ONE more oscar nomination aside from the one she has?

they're just questions - if you think they're dumb then keep it moving. we're not children on the playground.

but i know you gotta fish for daps so do your thing. :coffee:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
u acting like angela is some zoe salanda type

angela career is fine and she chose roles based on image , not just for a check

viola also chose quality roles

:patrice: Y'all coming in here and not actually reading, just throwing emotions around...none of you have yet to address the Today interview where she concedes to being picky in her career but she's now walking that back

Halle played TWO crackheads, and she's still doing A-list work as a lead actress - the narrative we like to throw out there is that she compromised herself for a check or a career

Not true. She was a professional that took different types of roles and when roles came her way, she went to work.

yall are not about to convince me that Halle is a better actress than AB, the difference is probably the perceived level of professionalism

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
You really think Halle Berry, ranked number 1 on everybody's "most beautiful woman alive" list during her prime gets mainstream roles because of her professionalism?

Dude you're really delusional and naive. Like Fox said "yes! let's hire Halle Berry as storm because she played a crackhead in the 90s in a movie that bombed at the box office!"

And in either event, you're wrong about Halle "still doing A-list work as a lead actress." No she isn't. She doing F-list roles or either supporting roles. She hasn't had any true A-list lead work in like 13 years. As someone above said, it's because she hit 40. Her "professionalism" couldn't save her from that.

Last edited:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
You really think Halle Berry, ranked number 1 on everybody's "most beautiful woman alive" list during her prime gets mainstream roles because of her professionalism?

Dude you're really delusional and naive. Like Fox said "yes! let's hire Halle Berry as storm because she played a crackhead in the 90s in a movie that bombed at the box office!"

And in either event, you're wrong about Halle "still doing A-list work as a lead actress." No she isn't. She doing F-list roles or either supporting roles. She hasn't had any true A-list lead work in like 13 years. As someone above said, it's because she hit 40. Her "professionalism" couldn't save her from that.

:patrice:Hollywood is a business/corporation like any other. word spreads about how difficult/easy/great and professional you are...i'm not about to look up the credits for losing isaiah or jungle fever

but I know off the top of my head there were A-list heavyweights in those films right alongside a young halle berry...

clearly i'd have no way of knowing this; but I bet an extremely attractive woman willing to ugly herself up to play a crackhead? pretty sure that impressed somebody :manny:

one of don cheadles first movies was COLORS playing a crip, some bullshyt on the surface - but he got to work with dennis hopper, sean penn, and robert duval

some of you all came in this thread with your bottom lips quivering and I don't know why...Angela Bassett is an actress, not a dignitary. she's not infallible or perfect, sorry to burst your bubbles :picard:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
It really is..

Angela Bassett has had a pretty good career. And no she didn't mess her career up. Gotta figure she's been in the industry for a few decades now. Hell she's 60 in a few years

so imagine Denzel Washington doing voice over work on ARCHER or The Family Guy as a regular, you wouldn't be shocked?

you wouldn't see that as work beneath his talents?

and don't say "that's denzel though!!" - in the 90's angela bassett was on that level, and for a while too...was she not?

Halle Berry is someone who declined. And in a big way too.

:jbhmm: how? serious question. she's got a theatrical release coming out called Kidnap - she's the star.

also check her credits in the past decade; Cloud Atlas, X-men, The Call. she bounced back nicely after Catwoman imo

where do you see her as having declined?

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so imagine Denzel Washington doing voice over work on ARCHER or The Family Guy as a regular, you wouldn't be shocked?

and don't say "that's denzel though!!" - in the 90's angela bassett was on that level, and for a while too...was she not?

:jbhmm: how? serious question. she's got a theatrical release coming out called Kidnap - she's the star.

also check her credits in the past decade; Cloud Atlas, X-men, The Call. she bounced back nicely after Catwoman imo

Catwoman.

She can't open a movie anymore. She has had bomb after bomb for 10+ years now.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Doing voice work is easy work that pays decent money. No I wouldn't be shocked if Denzel decided to do voice work. Beneath his talents? Breh already proved himself as a actor decades ago.

This dude really talking about Halle. Dude is trolling :wow:

Kidnap has been on the shelf for 3 years now and they still don't know when their releasing it. And what credits? Movie after movie she has been in for the last decade, has bombed. There was no bounce back after catwoman :pachaha:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Catwoman.

She can't open a movie anymore. She has had bomb after bomb for 10+ years now.

again, she's still considered a bankable A-list movie star; in Kidnap she's the only star if i'm not mistaken, and that is getting a theatrical release.

I understand you're trying to make a point - but no thinking person would argue that as being a career on it's downward cycle

Doing voice work is easy work that pays decent money. No I wouldn't be shocked if Denzel decided to do voice work. Beneath his talents? Breh already proved himself as a actor decades ago.

This dude really talking about Halle. Dude is trolling :wow:

Kidnap has been on the shelf for 3 years now and they still don't know when their releasing it. And what credits? Movie after movie she has been in for the last decade, has bombed. There was no bounce back after catwoman :pachaha:

well first of all i didn't say denzel's whole entire legacy would vanish if he did some voiceover work on a cable TV or netflix show, i just said it would be beneath him....

disagree with me by all means, but don't just create arguments out of thin air

:jbhmm:as it pertains to Halle Berry, are you arguing your opinion or are you arguing reality?

your opinion is that she is trash....the reality is that she is still getting A list hollywood work as a leading lady too. <<<that's not a true statement? :gucci:

she's got movies coming out with colin ferth, chaning tatum and daniel craig; i mean what's the basis of you saying that she didn't bounce back after catwoman

or let me guess...you know better than those dumb hollywood execs and producers :coffee: