Do you think Angela Bassett sabatoged her own career?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
:whoa: let me clarify something: i'm not saying angela bassett is terrible, she is a great actress, i think she is just as strong an actress as viola davis (you can disagree with that)
but I think her ONLY wanting to do certain roles fukked her career up in the long run...again, just a thought/theory i'm not trying to denigrate or shyt on angela bassett:

Sabotaged her career? Her career is already solidified.

She don't have to do anything she don't wanna do at this point. She been in movies 20+ years.

What the fukk

:patrice: i'm talking about the lack of leading and quality roles she's getting now as oppose to what she was getting in the 90's
what has she done in the past decade that's on the level of what she was doing in the 90's?

Which Viola role do you think Angela could have taken and done better?

it's not about doing better - my point is that Angella bassett in the 90's would've cussed anybody out asking her to play a maid; yet playing one catapulted viola davis' career

I have respect for her saying there are certain roles she will not play or that she feels is demeaning.
It sucks that some blacks have no options and have to take mammy roles still but if she doesn't more power to her.

I feel you - and that wiki quote is something i noticed back in the day and after a while it started to get bizarre; you ONLY take on roles where you're a strong uplifting character?
that's bizarre for an actor no matter who you are.

I don't take that quote to mean she won't play a woman with flaws. And what is your definition of a flawed woman anyway? She was an alcoholic in one of those American Horror Story seasons. And she got her ass beat and raped in What's Love Got To Do With It?

You're missing my point, would she have played a drunk lesbian vampire in the 90's?

Denzels character in courage under fire for example; he was a drunk who was having problems at home. His character was very strong, yet flawed.
Also Tina turner is seen as a powerful iconic figure for standing up and climbing out of that situation - you saw the movie fam, Tina turner ain't no punk
especially seeing how she shot Randy Jackson :mjlol:

I always feel like she could have gotten more roles in nowadays but I do think she plays too safe too much or maybe Hollywood blackballed her.

She is a declined leading in movies now. Also, she's barley got any offer movie deal. She's in fukking Tyler Perry movies? :what: or play small part in some low-budget movies

She deserves better than that. I mean you got Meryl Streep still got leading roles movie offered deal but yet Angela couldn't get any movie deal for supporting actress?

I don't get the part about Viola took over her? Angela was just disappeared before Viola came in.

- the bolded is the only point I'm making.

I think Viola took over after DOUBT. she was nominated for an oscar for that role, in fact I believe it was the shortest on screen time for a nominated actor ever - (or maybe william hurt in History of Violence)
now, do you think Angela Bassett would take that role? a few minutes of screen time, plus playing a weak, somber, crying woman who allows her son to be molested
so he can get a quality education? this is arguably the role that got Viola Davis more quality work which then lead to being what she is now...

Last edited:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
What do you mean taken her spot? They can both co-exist.

Angela has had an amazing career, and Viola is just now entering stardom at a later age.

I don't think you realize how limited the roles for black women are in hollywood.

one thing that i've read about repeatedly in hollywood is that actors that turn down a lot of roles get soft-blacklisted

not because they suck, but because you get a reputation for people already knowing you're gonna say "No" to shyt, especially seeing how few movies are made and how even fewer people get offered leading roles

I read that Mike Myers is like that, so was Val Kilmer for years - and what happens is those actors eventually just take whatever is offered

this is why you see some A-listers popping up in oddball roles that are beneath their star power

clearly from her own words she only WANTED to play strong characters which means she was only accepting work that fell in that realm

I just believe that hurt her in the long run...again, just a question for discussion
She still out here puttin in work work tho:what:

with her fine old ass! :takedat:

I know she's working, I know she's about to be in PANTHER (i saw them filming that in ATL too recently :banderas:)

not saying she's filling out applications on monster.com, I'm just saying she isn't THE go to leading lady in hollywood like she was back in the day

and I think her lack of wanting to play more versatile roles all those years is the reason why

I mean bruh if we wanna keep it all the way 100; Angela Bassett is doing Voice Over work on cartoons and video games -

yeah that's WORK ($$$$) i'm not shytting on it..:whoa:

but viola davis has 0 of those under her belt and 3 Oscar nominations. just making an observation :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do you mean taken her spot? They can both co-exist.

Angela has had an amazing career, and Viola is just now entering stardom at a later age.

I don't think you realize how limited the roles for black women are in hollywood.

exactly....the fact its a 'one or the other' situation is the problem, and that goes for black women and men in the film/tv industry

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
exactly....the fact its a 'one or the other' situation is the problem, and that goes for black women and men in the film/tv industry

The problem is that Hollywood isn't a kumbaya let's feel warm and cuddly town

If a movie about black maids gets green lit, they need actresses to play those parts

They probably knew off rip not to call AB...

she said in her own words, she turns down roles. plural.

casting directors remember that shyt

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
HELL YEA she's too good to play a crack whore or a prostitute.

Angela has morals. I was happy as hell that she turned down that Monsters Ball bullshyt role.

Plus she has a career spanning OVER 30 years, with Oscar noms, Golden Globe Noms, and the respect of everyone in Hollywood. She's about to be in an all black superhero movie with a $150 million budget.

Angela is the prototype that these black actresses need to be following.

Last edited: