Do you think Angela Bassett sabatoged her own career?

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
she looks great to me, i can't even see where she's had any work done

gotta remember she's almost 60 man

Surgery hampers your ability to emote during a scene. The face muscles need to be flexible.

When you tighten the face through surgeries, you lose much of that ability.

Like Courtney Cox regrets the surgery she has had done. She knows that it stopped her career.

f505d6fb-841a-4af4-ac6f-1a95cf05a346.jpg

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Surgery hampers your ability to emote during a scene. The face muscles need to be flexible.

When you tighten the face through surgeries, you lose much of that ability.

Like Courtney Cox regrets the surgery she has had done. She knows that it stopped her career.

f505d6fb-841a-4af4-ac6f-1a95cf05a346.jpg

that's a good point

she's unrecognizable now

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
:patrice: where's the sensational language in my initial post? this is literally a prototypical textbook movie forum post across the entire internet.

i even closed it with "or am i tripping"

you're initial comment was to say the thread was "trash" fam

that's sensational language.
The word sabotage is sensational after we understand what youre really trying to say.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
The word sabotage is sensational after we understand what youre really trying to say.

:patrice: the word sabotage just means to deliberately destroy something fam

i've posted evidence that she herself has admitted that she was "selective" during her career

i'm simply asking do you all think this has resulted her in being passed on all these good roles out here (hence the word sabatoge/harm her career)

even phylicia rashad was in CREED and is now on EMPIRE

what nefarious and ulterior motives do you think I have by just asking a question for discussion on a movie forum?

Going back to Angela, I wonder if she could win a role like "Rose" in "Fences"
over Viola?

It could be that Viola is more capable of a variety of acting emotions now than Angela,
and surgery might have played a role.

I think she could have. I think she would've been great in a lot of these roles that are out here

i recently saw viola davis in a movie with J-lo that was actually pretty good but i think angela bassett would've done a far better job

I'm of the belief that she was black-listed by "mainstream" hollywood while black hollywood has always seen her as :blessed:

like i said, turning down roles is one thing, but repeatedly turning down these major studios parts because you're character isn't "strong" enough is a bit much

we also don't know how those discussions and convo's went behind the scenes during that time either, was she rude? did she curse people out?

all i know is in that TODAY interview she definitely seems humbled

Jary Soak

Rookie
Daps
There are more roles other than prostitutes and crackheads

black women can be other things ya know...

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
even phylicia rashad was in CREED and is now on EMPIRE

:mjlol:

So if only Angela Bassett played a crackhead during the 90s then maybe she could have got a background role with 5 minutes of screen time in Creed and Empire:mjgrin:

Do you even hear yourself? You say she's missing out on "all of these good roles" and you throw out supporting character roles as if she isn't filming a supporting character role for a blockbuster (by Ryan Coogler mind you) right now. You have this weird expectation of "good roles" being passed to black women if only they would play your version of a flawed character. But that's not how it has ever worked.

Monica Calhoun fukked on camera, got raped on camera, and played a "flawed woman" and fell off the face of the earth.

Monique won an oscar playing a fukked up woman and can't get any work.

Jennifer Hudson won an oscar and can't get any work.

Rosario Dawson has been raped and on drugs in films and she's almost exclusively transitioned to voice work and tv.

You'd be hard pressed to remember anything Loretta Devine has been in the last 5 years even though she plays "flawed".

Anika Noni Rose has played flawed.....very little work

Thandie Newton played flawed in an oscar winning movie and didn't get much afterwards.

Kimberly Elise began her career playing flawed and hasn't done much.

I really could go on and on. Black women are regulated to very specific supporting roles in most cases, and whether they play a crackhead or not has very little do do with the quality of roles they get offered afterwards. Her "sabotaged" career is indistinguishable from the careers 99% of black actresses, because black women don't shine in general in Hollywood. And at any point, there is usually only a spot or two available for black women in prestige roles. You can't sabotage opportunities that don't actually exist.

Viola herself would tell you this.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
There are more roles other than prostitutes and crackheads

black women can be other things ya know...

:mjlol:

So if only Angela Bassett played a crackhead during the 90s then maybe she could have got a background role with 5 minutes of screen time in Creed and Empire:mjgrin:

Do you even hear yourself? You say she's missing out on "all of these g.

giphy.gif

do any of you all remember Octavia spencer in this:

^^^ was this "beneath" her? is she c00ning? selling herself short here?

OR...or, was she just doing her job? playing a character in a silly comedy (a classic movie IMO too) as a professional working actress :yeshrug:

there's two ways of looking at it, and neither are right or wrong..

the one thing that's not debatable is that now Octavia Spencer is one of the most respected actresses in Hollywood

now, let's bring this back to the the actual topic of the damn thread:

Angela Bassett refusing to play roles like this MAY, have hurt her career in the long run

I've never said she should've been sucking, fukking, a hoe, slut, degrade herself, sell out, and maybe she'd be working now...not at all.

but prostitutes exist. crackheads and drug addicts exist. people with flaws exist. there's nothing wrong w/playing these types of characters.

I'm simply making an observation based on reality and facts and not my opinion about her abilities (she's one of the best actors alive IMO)

Jary Soak

Rookie
Daps
giphy.gif

do any of you all remember Octavia spencer in this:

^^^ was this "beneath" her? is she c00ning? selling herself short here?

OR...or, was she just doing her job? playing a character in a silly comedy (a classic movie IMO too) as a professional working actress :yeshrug:

there's two ways of looking at it, and neither are right or wrong..

the one thing that's not debatable is that now Octavia Spencer is one of the most respected actresses in Hollywood

now, let's bring this back to the the actual topic of the damn thread:

Angela Bassett refusing to play roles like this MAY, have hurt her career in the long run

I've never said she should've been sucking, fukking, a hoe, slut, degrade herself, sell out, and maybe she'd be working now...not at all.

but prostitutes exist. crackheads and drug addicts exist. people with flaws exist. there's nothing wrong w/playing these types of characters.

I'm simply making an observation based on reality and facts and not my opinion about her abilities (she's one of the best actors alive IMO)

All respect to those playing them roles
All I'm saying is theres been enough slave, crackhead and prostitutes roles

lets try something else