Do you consider Africans from Africa, South America & the Caribbean.....as "Blacks"?

Family Man

Banned
Daps
Ehhh... A lot of stupid comments in this thread. But here's where the situation gets a bit more complicated. Of course we generally define black, not African American, by simply the color of one's skin.

But what about light skinned people? Because all people with a light brown complexion aren't black. They could be hispanic, right? And as a society we don't consider hispanics black do we?

Ok, well then when we see a person with that light complexion, how determine if they're black or not? By what their ancestry is? Well then we're stepping out of the simple definition of black. So then some if these other statements about nationality/ethnicity come into play. Well then we have to ask, well then what really is black? Don't racist white people always tell blacks to back to Africa?

Honestly society's definition if black and African American don't really make any sense. Connotation, stereotypes, and subtext have all b*stardized the meanings of these terms.
Shut the fukk up.

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
Do yall consider African immigrants from those areas.......Black, as we define it in America? We share the same skin color but, we couldn't be any more different :ld:

WOW

all

Where do american blacks (mixing and all) blacks come from Africa.

As unique, as they are...anyone with african/black blood, is part of the African diaspora

on the flip side, europeans know they are from europe, but will claim america...but I dont know why blacks would let their history in the united states, start with a slave trade.

I do see the differences between african born blacks and american born as interesting...both blacks have done well for themselves. all together we have to band as a unit. American has 40 million blacks. Africa has 1 billion blacks.

also...

African immigrants to the U.S. are among the most educated groups in the United States. Some 48.9 percent of all African immigrants hold a college diploma. This is more than double the rate of native-born white Americans, and nearly four times the rate of native-born African Americans.

According to the 2000 Census, the rate of college diploma acquisition is highest among Egyptian Americans at 59.7 percent, followed closely by Nigerian Americans at 58.6 percent.

In 1997, 19.4 percent of all adult African immigrants in the United States held a graduate degree, compared to 8.1 percent of adult white Americans and 3.8 percent of adult black Americans in the United States, respectively.

According to the 2000 Census, the percentage of Africans with a graduate degree is highest among Nigerian Americans at 28.3 percent, followed by Egyptian Americans at 23.8 percent.

Of the African-born population in the United States age 25 and older, 87.9% reported having a high school degree or higher, compared with 78.8% of Asian-born immigrants and 76.8% of European-born immigrants, respectively.

Africans from Nigeria (89.1 percent), Ghana (85.9 percent), Botswana (84.7 percent), and Malawi (83 percent) were the most likely to report having a high school degree or higher. Those born in Cape Verde (44.8 percent) and Mauritania (60.8 percent) were the least likely to report having completed a high school education.

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mods do your job & delete this worthless thread & hand out an infraction to the thread starter for being a dumb azz

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Blacks were cut off from our history, we didn't have a country to call our own like immigrants from other countries did, so we formed our own here.

Atlanta is not a country. :troll:

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
to the OP:

if anything, if you're really THAT insistent on separating yourself from africans, west indies, Caribbean and afro latinos, then use the AA phrase. claiming the word black belongs only to you guys is dumb. yes you're right that AA culture is not the same as other black cultures from different places around the world (and even the AA culture in the states has a lot of variety from the south to the midwest to the north and so on). but that doesn't mean you suddenly get to claim exclusivity on "black". AA is where it stops.

swimmingpools

strawberry bubblegum
Daps
Yes. Wtf? My dad is Carib, but he's still a black man. Can we stop all the nonsense, please?

YBE

Banned
Daps
Like I said, I've met and argued with people like you on this shyt before so I already understand your position. Just keep in mind that it hasn't even been 100 years since the Civil Rights movement so there are probably many profound issues that have yet to be solved in the community. But I think Dr. Amos Wilson describes shyt best, yall are a nation like any other ethnic group (white, Asian, latino, etc) and all the tools to build a nation are here since this is America. Spanish people got a bunch of different channels and continue to make themselves a stronger and more unified community while black folks stuck in a malaise.

So cuz of this, maybe a lot of ignorant foreign blacks look down and talk down on AA's which to me is wrong as fukk cuz we can't comprehend yall plight. I can trace my nation, and all the tribes in my blood, and have an African name while a black man here don't got that ability, and I'll never understand how that feels. So when you say "Black" is yall way of defining yallselves in this society I can empathize completely.

Thing is, when there's understanding on both sides and mutual cooperation and support then why wouldn't you want Africans, West Indians, Afro-Latinos, and Afro-Asians to be a part of that umbrella. This "nation" I speak of would only benefit if it included its family from other parts of the world. We all acknowledge the fact that we ain't American Africans and respect that, but that doesn't mean that we ain't black under the racial caste of this society. Just remember like I said, pretty much all black people on this planet has had to deal with some bullshyt from the European just like yall did. If anything, West Indians and Afro-Latinos should be gettin big love from yall since they're descendants of the Trans Atlantic slave trade as well. But it's all good, I know in my heart that things gon get better.

As always, good post.

to the OP:

if anything, if you're really THAT insistent on separating yourself from africans, west indies, Caribbean and afro latinos, then use the AA phrase. claiming the word black belongs only to you guys is dumb. yes you're right that AA culture is not the same as other black cultures from different places around the world (and even the AA culture in the states has a lot of variety from the south to the midwest to the north and so on). but that doesn't mean you suddenly get to claim exclusivity on "black". AA is where it stops.

How is using the world Black to define AAs dumb when it was popularized here by AAs in the first place, who either forgot their ancestry or were scared of being tethered to Africa during the slavery period :childplease: AA's called themselves black. Afrikans wasn't going around calling themselves black centuries ago. Europeans may have called them that but, Afrikans have always identified by their local tribes. Always. Yall nikkas mad for no reason. As far as the other nikkas in this thread :stopitslime: None of yall clowns have even tried to address my points. fukk outta here :rudy:

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
to the OP:

lol exactly. Thats how confused the dude is.

:ohhh: "Can't be African American cuz I'm not African. So I gotta be black."
:ohhh: "But if I'm black, and they're African...then that means they're not black":obama:

Thread starter have an easier time convincing people he was white. Try that argument instead...

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As always, good post.

How is using the world Black to define AAs dumb when it was popularized here by AAs in the first place, who either forgot their ancestry or were scared of being tethered to Africa during the slavery period :childplease: AA's called themselves black. Afrikans wasn't going around calling themselves black centuries ago. Europeans may have called them that but, Afrikans have always identified by their local tribes. Always. Yall nikkas mad for no reason. As far as the other nikkas in this thread :stopitslime: None of yall clowns have even tried to address my points. fukk outta here :rudy:
first of all i'm from haiti so we also lost our original languanges, cultures, etc and we also called ourselves black and negroes back then. second of all, like the other poster told you, some african countries were also colonized by the france, belgium, portugal and so on and they also probably called themselves black. you seriously think that only african americans were calling themselves black since forever??

as a matter of fact, i just did a search real quick cause i remember the haitian constitution actually referring to people as black.

act I - 14 of the haitian constitution

All acception of colour among the children of one and the same family, of whom the chief magistrate is the father, being necessarily to cease, the Haytians shall hence forward be known only by the generic appellation of Blacks.

this was back in 1805. so miss me with that BS :rudy:. you can't claim monopoly on black, cause it's just dumb.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9VQye6P8k0"]Nas & Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley - Patience - YouTube[/ame]

I'ma leave this right here. Maybe you monkey ass could learn something instead of making these simple ass threads...
40800_o.gif

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol exactly. Thats how confused the dude is.

:ohhh: "Can't be African American cuz I'm not African. So I gotta be black."
:ohhh: "But if I'm black, and they're African...then that means they're not black":obama:

Thread starter have an easier time convincing people he was white. Try that argument instead...
this dude wants a monopoly on the term black acting like they invented it. and i didn't even want to go that deep cause like the other posters said, fukk all this division shyt, we should all fukking unite instead of excluding eachother. but the funny thing is that i'm from haiti but IF ANYTHING, Africans from the motherland are the ones who could legitimately claim black (more than AAs, more than west indies, Caribbean, etc) cause it's where all our ancestors originate from.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The more important question is, why don't Africans want to associate themselves with African Americans? I swear some of these niqqas act all high and mighty around us. Like they're above us or some shyt.:childplease:

Daps
whose ancestors all come from one country? if you wanted to claim an african country or a few, then if you did some research you'd probably find yours. aren't there tests that can tell you where some of your ancestors came from? you must seek out your history.