Do you consider Africans from Africa, South America & the Caribbean.....as "Blacks"?

YBE

Banned
Daps
If I went to Nigeria tomorrow acting like I was Afrikan, cats over there would :beli: and quickly correct me but, I'm in the wrong for saying those dudes are not Black, atleast not in the way we define the term over here?

I just want one person to respond to this & I'll leave it alone.

Hardest Since MC Ren

Kizz My Black Azz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
in the U.S. when we use the term Black, we're pointing to a cultural identity that AA's share[/IMG]

:what:

nikka stop making up definitions..and quit with all that "we" shyt

U think when the old heads were doing their lil Pan-African thing..they used 'Black' for AA's and African for Africans?

U think Du bois was telling Garvey and Nkrumah.."hey now..im loving this unity here but yall two nikkas aint Black"?
:comeon:

Black is Black..
I dont use Black to mean AA's..cultural or otherwise
I use African American to point to a cultural identity that AA's share

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I just want one person to respond to this & I'll leave it alone.

You could get called much worse in your own hood b. Stop it. PLus nobody said all of them are saints either. Your viewpoint certainly isnt helping the situation.

Captain

Save a thought
Daps
Reppin
Ethiopia
If I went to Nigeria tomorrow acting like I was Afrikan, cats over there would :beli: and quickly correct me but, I'm in the wrong for saying those dudes are not Black, atleast not in the way we define the term over here?

The people that immigrated here from the countries in Sub-Sahara Africa would embrace some of the AA culture & classify themselves as 'Black' because thats the closest thing to home for them here in the US; whereas if you went to lets say khartoum or Addis Ababa you would be considered a foreigner because you don't speak the languages or identify with the customs & cultures.

What's the point of this thread?

• Dap
Reactions: YBE

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't really get the question, Americans grow up in different cultural regions within our own country, someone from California would have a different lifestyle than someone from Georgia, but they would still be considered American wherever they go

upthere

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
^
If I went to Nigeria tomorrow acting like I was Afrikan, cats over there would and quickly correct me but, I'm in the wrong for saying those dudes are not Black, atleast not in the way we define the term over here?

Both Nigerians and Americans can still be Black while reppin their respective nationalities, but that doesn't mean one group has exclusive rights over the name/term "Black".

Our customs, languages, beliefs, struggles etc may differ (just like Black americans within america), but we all the same and most likely have very similar ancestors

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Nyggaz are nyggaz, doesn't matter what part of the globe we are from. It all depends where the boat dropped us off at during the slave trade. Black folks look the same in france,chicago,ny,canada,cuba,d.r. Only difference is the culturall differences/language. At the end of the day we are all black:manny:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I feel what you saying....and you actually gave a level headed response.

You can't have this discussion online because you can't tell who you're speaking to. I'd guarantee most of the dudes in here salty are from one of the ethnic groups I named because it's no way you're African American & haven't seen what I'm saying. What this boils down to is, I don't consider someone one of us, when they don't consider us one of them. nikkas read this thread & responded with stupid answers. Obviously AA's, Afrikans, Caribbeans & Afro-Latinos are racially defined as black but, in the U.S. when we use the term Black, we're pointing to a cultural identity that AA's share, and since we don't have a home country like Afrikans, Carribbeans or South Americans or have been stripped of that connection, its akin to nationalistic pride. Saying I'm black & I'm proud is no different than being proud to be Igbo or West Indian. That's our identity. Racial. Social. Cultural. Whatever. Those groups try to invade that identity, when the whole basis for it in the first place was for displaced Afrikans in the U.S. :smh:, then still want to be able to retreat back to their own communities that AA's aren't allowed into. We can come in your world but, you can't come in ours :birdman: :rudy: That's that shyt I don't like. When we all together, its all love then behind our backs, they snickering at how fukked up us African Americans are :whew: That's definitely that shyt I don't like. If I went to Nigeria tomorrow acting like I was Afrikan, cats over there would :beli: and quickly correct me but, I'm in the wrong for saying those dudes are not Black, atleast not in the way we define the term over here? Nah. fukk that. You're Black but, you're not Black.

193502_o.gif

Like I said, I've met and argued with people like you on this shyt before so I already understand your position. Just keep in mind that it hasn't even been 100 years since the Civil Rights movement so there are probably many profound issues that have yet to be solved in the community. But I think Dr. Amos Wilson describes shyt best, yall are a nation like any other ethnic group (white, Asian, latino, etc) and all the tools to build a nation are here since this is America. Spanish people got a bunch of different channels and continue to make themselves a stronger and more unified community while black folks stuck in a malaise.

So cuz of this, maybe a lot of ignorant foreign blacks look down and talk down on AA's which to me is wrong as fukk cuz we can't comprehend yall plight. I can trace my nation, and all the tribes in my blood, and have an African name while a black man here don't got that ability, and I'll never understand how that feels. So when you say "Black" is yall way of defining yallselves in this society I can empathize completely.

Thing is, when there's understanding on both sides and mutual cooperation and support then why wouldn't you want Africans, West Indians, Afro-Latinos, and Afro-Asians to be a part of that umbrella. This "nation" I speak of would only benefit if it included its family from other parts of the world. We all acknowledge the fact that we ain't American Africans and respect that, but that doesn't mean that we ain't black under the racial caste of this society. Just remember like I said, pretty much all black people on this planet has had to deal with some bullshyt from the European just like yall did. If anything, West Indians and Afro-Latinos should be gettin big love from yall since they're descendants of the Trans Atlantic slave trade as well. But it's all good, I know in my heart that things gon get better.