Do you consider Africans from Africa, South America & the Caribbean.....as "Blacks"?

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I have seen broke Africans, caribbean and central/south american blacks even have negative views towards African American with money.

A lot them call African American not real blacks because they believe we don't care about our African roots or some shyt like that.

so this shyt goes both ways. It's funny when Africans, caribbean and central/south american blacks act like they victim and don't do the same shyt.
yes it goes both ways. i'm man enough to admit it. but it's wrong both ways as well. we're black people from different parts of the world, different histories and different cultures. there's not one better than the other. all of our ancestors were fukked over by the europeans in some fashion. because circumstances were different, the results were slightly different. but we're still all black. no one is "blacker". let's stop this "oh, we're better than the other black people because..."

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
I can only speak on my experience..Being in college I never got this "Africans think they're high and mighty" vibe that alot of yall get on here posting about. And I've met with all of them from the Nigerians and Ghanians, to the Sierra Leoneans and Kenyans. By and large all of them have been good people, that love sharing information about where they come, their culture and customs, and I've never felt disrespected by any of them. I think they like when other Blacks take an interest in knowing more about them. West Indians on the other hand (I'm generalizing here) I felt were always reclusive in terms of who they associate with, but thats just what I've seen I'm sure other people would have different stories

As for the thread title, what are Africans, West Indians and Afro-Latinos if they arent Black? :stopitslime:

We share the same skin color but, we couldn't be any more different

There are tribes and ethnic groups in Nigeria where the individuals amongst each couldnt be any more different, it doesnt mean they aren't both Nigerian. There are Ethiopians and Congolese people that share similar skin tones but culturally couldnt be any more different, it doesnt mean they aren't both African. There are siddity upper class negros here and lower class negros here that definitely couldn't be any more different...and well you get the point
Nothing good ever comes out of these divisive threads

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
that's the thing that's really fukked up about this thread.

the haitian constitution refers to haitians as "black people" before the slaves in america were freed. but somehow AAs invented and popularized the concept of referring to themselves as black people and somehow we're not black?????? :wtf:

I didnt know this until i was filling out a form years ago and under race i selected "Black". Then this black girl i knew was with me and saw that and went "why you selected black? Arent you from another country?"
I was like So being from another country makes me NOT "black"?:huh:

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they don't view themselves as one of us, which is thread starters point.

a lot of them come here within a lower opinion of us than these racist cacs.

They always throw out like they're more educated and civilized. But these niqqas swag is like that of a rock :pachaha:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
:childplease:

I have seen the same from caribbean and central/south american blacks towards African Americans. So please shut the fukk up.

Most caribbean and central/south american blacks have negative views towards African Americans too.

nikkas like you love playing the victim roll and act lik ecaribbean and central/south american blacks don't do the same shyt towards African Americans.
Hear me out for a minute.

Dont get me wrong a lot of that goes on among foreign black adults because they have a bad perception of african-american children/teenagers. Americans dont discipline their kids as severely like most other nations and children here tend to be more prone to act up/be rebellious and get in trouble with the law. Add the fact that you have TV airing all your dirty laundry to the world yet still take the "i dont give a fukk" approach makes it even worst so they dont want their kids getting mixed up with american children. Whereas in the caribbean and a lot of these other countries you can have a grown ass 19-20 year old still catching ass whooping from parents easily.

BUT on the younger side kids from other countries WANT TO get together and chill with africa american kids despite our parents because we think ya'll are cool... at first. But what happens when they first move here to american schools and try to blend in?

THey get:
  • pushed away and considered outsiders
  • made fun of because of their accents or whatever
  • jumped/beaten daily (ask anyone who lived in Miami in the 90's they'll tell you they seen the shyt with their own eyes)

I heard of haitian and african kids that have committed suicide from being jumped daily by african american kids just because they were where they were from.

So as a result they start sticking to their own.Some of them eventually join culturally repated gangs for protection. If you ever seen the show "GANG LAND" the guys say it that the haitian gang "ZOE POUND" started out because haitian kids got tired of being jumped JUST BECAUSE they were haitian and it's true. I seen the sh!t with my own eyes.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Usually "black" in the US means African American. It really doesn't matter where you come from because most foreigners here identify themselves by nationality. I think every Nigerian, Ghanian, Jamaican, Hatian etc that I know have refered to themselves as their home country before anything else. :manny:

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Usually "black" in the US means African American. It really doesn't matter where you come from because most foreigners here identify themselves by nationality. I think every Nigerian, Ghanian, Jamaican, Hatian etc that I know have refered to themselves as their home country before anything else. :manny:

It's also about perception. If an Afro American, a Ghanian, and a Jamaican, all of a similar skin tone walk into a store, a white clerk wont be able to differentiate the 3 until they open their mouths. Its all Black, but those individuals refer to their home country because they have one. We're not foaming at the mouth to say "I'm American", not because we haven't built and made great contributions to this country, but because we're a minority, and have yet to get the same slice of the American pie. You'd be much more likely to claim a land where your people are the majority as opposed to the other way around

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didnt know this until i was filling out a form years ago and under race i selected "Black". Then this black girl i knew was with me and saw that and went "why you selected black? Arent you from another country?"
I was like So being from another country makes me NOT "black"?:huh:
it's pure ignorance. but the girl probably didn't even mean any malice either. it's probably a genuine belief she has about what being black means. only thing you can do in those instances is share info.

i live in canada so it's not the same thing here. but we also have occasional tension amongst eachother as well. jamaicans, haitians, congolese, somalians, etc. you'll occasionally here comments from each. the dynamics here are different because unlike in the States, over here, 99% of black people are either first or second generation immigrants. but it's still the same type of attitude you'll see. "jamaicans are this, haitians are that, africans are this..." sometimes it gets so rediculous it's funny and sad at the same time.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
It's also about perception. If an Afro American, a Ghanian, and a Jamaican, all of a similar skin tone walk into a store, a white clerk wont be able to differentiate the 3 until they open their mouths. Its all Black

Most people can tell the difference between the average domestic black
and foreign blacks. If you dress them up to look exactly alike, then maybe not, but in general people can see the differences.

Daps
Most people can tell the difference between the average domestic black
and foreign blacks. If you dress them up to look exactly alike, then maybe not, but in general people can see the differences.

lies..stop this cac generalizations

I live in toronto and if you're talking to a black/mixed bytch you're going to have ask them straight up what's your background beacuse unless they tell you their name(and even then) your guess will most likely be wrong.

Daps
it's pure ignorance. but the girl probably didn't even mean any malice either. it's probably a genuine belief she has about what being black means. only thing you can do in those instances is share info.

i live in canada so it's not the same thing here. but we also have occasional tension amongst eachother as well. jamaicans, haitians, congolese, somalians, etc. you'll occasionally here comments from each. the dynamics here are different because unlike in the States, over here, 99% of black people are either first or second generation immigrants. but it's still the same type of attitude you'll see. "jamaicans are this, haitians are that, africans are this..." sometimes it gets so rediculous it's funny and sad at the same time.

but with the yutes that's basically gone, you can't go into a clique of canadian black yutes and tell whose from where. they all dress, talk and look alike my neega.

Canada basically showed me that there's no physical difference between West African descendants in the West Hemisphere and Those from Africa when they both grow u in the same environment/climate and have the same access to everything.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hear me out for a minute.

Dont get me wrong a lot of that goes on among foreign black adults because they have a bad perception of african-american children/teenagers. Americans dont discipline their kids as severely like most other nations and children here tend to be more prone to act up/be rebellious and get in trouble with the law. Add the fact that you have TV airing all your dirty laundry to the world yet still take the "i dont give a fukk" approach makes it even worst so they dont want their kids getting mixed up with american children. Whereas in the caribbean and a lot of these other countries you can have a grown ass 19-20 year old still catching ass whooping from parents easily.

BUT on the younger side kids from other countries WANT TO get together and chill with africa american kids despite our parents because we think ya'll are cool... at first. But what happens when they first move here to american schools and try to blend in?

THey get:
  • pushed away and considered outsiders
  • made fun of because of their accents or whatever
  • jumped/beaten daily (ask anyone who lived in Miami in the 90's they'll tell you they seen the shyt with their own eyes)

I heard of haitian and african kids that have committed suicide from being jumped daily by african american kids just because they were where they were from.

So as a result they start sticking to their own.Some of them eventually join culturally repated gangs for protection. If you ever seen the show "GANG LAND" the guys say it that the haitian gang "ZOE POUND" started out because haitian kids got tired of being jumped JUST BECAUSE they were haitian and it's true. I seen the sh!t with my own eyes.
when i listened to the first wyclef album and he describes what it was like growing up in america being haitian it felt really weird cause here in quebec it's the complete opposite. over here, because we're so many in montreal, when you meet black people you actually assume they are haitians. if you meet black people that speak french they're either haitian, or from french speaking african countries. if they speak english, you assume they're from the west indies. there are practically no "african-canadians" (except for the scotians but i honestly never met one in my life.

so anyway, listening to that album is when i discovered haitian people weren't getting respect in the States while over here we're the "cool" black people.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
but with the yutes that's basically gone, you can't go into a clique of canadian black yutes and tell whose from where. they all dress, talk and look alike my neega.

Canada basically showed me that there's no physical difference between West African descendants in the West Hemisphere and Those from Africa when they both grow u in the same environment/climate and have the same access to everything.
you're probably right about black people in other provinces but in Quebec (francophone province) you can tell.

we all dress the same but we don't talk exactly the same. different accents, different expressions, etc. first, west indies you can tell because they speak mostly english with their specific accents. (they can even tell between eachother which countries they're respectively from).