Votes: 24 13.1%

• Total voters

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
shut the fck up you ricky gervais fan boy.

this guy just quoted a scene from ricky gervais "after-life" :deadrose:

dude is just rambling about organized religion nothing to do with spirituality or your belief in God. :russ:

Oh look a sensitive little bytch because I don't believe in his imaginary friend.

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
Oh look a sensitive little bytch because I don't believe in his imaginary friend.

no you just took ricky gervais words and posted it on the coli word for word trying to seem smart.

get your own viewpoints if you are capable of independent thought i doubt it knowing you copy peoples opinions without knowing shyt.

I appreciate you being respectful about it but I've read it before. Reading it again isn't going to help me believe. At the end if I'm wrong then oh well. I'm sure god will understand. Bible is full of so much bullshyt to me it makes it even harder to believe in that god. As long as you act right that's all that matters to me. I have more reasons as to why I don't believe in god but I don't feel like hurting people's feelings right now. People are hyper sensitive about their god. You seen the back and forth in this thread where everyone thinks they're right and only their god is the true god.

Biggest difference between me and the people who believe is they believe in one more god than I do.

:russ:

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
no you just took ricky gervais words and posted it on the coli word for word trying to seem smart.

get your own viewpoints if you are capable of independent thought i doubt it knowing you copy peoples opinions without knowing shyt.

No I took his words because it's true. Like I said you god fanboys are all the same. Hyper sensitive little bytches.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Nah been an atheist for a decade now :yeshrug:

There is no concrete evidence of the existence of any deities. Evolution and The Big bang Theory always made more sense to me and all the claims made are actually backed by evidence. Besides that I never felt the need to connect with a higher power or have a desire for an afterlife. I don’t think you need religion to have purpose in life or a moral system
So you believe that it's lights out when you die?

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
every cultures mythology and holy texts have its own style based on the language itself. The style of Israel is unique because He is unique. The mighty one of Jacob

until you learn to love your mother language you will struggle to love other languages and their ways. Hebrew and Greek do not completely translate to English like how we'd like to think.

That's one of my biggest issues with the story of god. We can't even keep a story straight if we try to tell it in the same language to the next person then have that person tell it to the next person. But somehow this story has been managed to be passed down centuries and I'm supposed to believe it's remained accurate.

Just a lot of holes in the logic.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

Th3Birdman

Rookie of The Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Breh, anything you post publicly I'm going to respond to publicly. If you want to take it to DMs then YOU post your response in DMs, posting it publicly and then asking me to respond privately is just a bullshyt way of trying to get in the last word.

:dead:

This single quote says a LOT about you.

My brother, this board means far too much to you. This is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. I've been nothing short of transparent and honest on this board. I was trying to be polite to the OP.

Not to mention, that doesn't make sense, as YOU were the one that accosted me. I'm responding to YOU.

You quote me > I respond to that quote. If you continue responding to me, you'd have an odd-number statement/response system.

Naturally, it follows that I am the one that gets the last word anyway, as you began a debate with me, meaning I have to respond to questions and assertions made by you in response to me, unless you're trying to make this a battle of who's going to tap out first, in which case, you have met your motherfukking match.

I argue for a living, and quite literally have nothing BUT time. My name might as well be Infinite Regress.

If you wanted the last word, you should have just said that :Tim:

That's a nonsense assertion considering the Catholic faith spread just fine before there even was a book

You have continued to make a fairly obvious mistake, even after my post to you explaining what I'm talking about. This lets me know you hit "multi-quote" instead of reading my entire post first.

Here's what I said:

Hold on-- I see what you're trying to do here. Let's back up and clarify something: the physical book isn't the point of the argument. The legend contained within that book is the point.

See? You're trying to skirt past my actual point, which is the legend itself, which is contained within that book. When someone says "the bible" (torah, quran), they're saying the teachings within, and you know that. I don't know who you think you're fooling with this deflection, but you're wasting my time.

I didn't say they "believe in science", you're straight misquoting me

Why would you lie on a forum where I can literally post what you said? :wtf:

It's like saying that scientists' beliefs are based on the current state of science textbooks
The textbook records what they believe, but the basis of those beliefs comes from elsewhere
For the most part scientists do in fact believe in the laws of physics, but that's totally besides the point and has zero relevance to the analogy

:martin:

For clarity's sake (because you're trying to juelz something fierce right now), the first quote is you attempting to equate science and religion on the basis of your misguided concept that scientists practice a belief system. That's why I called your analogy ridiculous.

Concede.

Scientists don't believe "in" science, but they have a great deal of beliefs about science. For instance, they trust the vast majority of the laws of physics to be true - in other words, they believe those laws to be an accurate representation of the world, or the believe in those laws. In fact, if you actually knew physicists, you'd know they believe in many of them with something quite akin to religious belief despite their distaste for that comparison

This is just pure nonsense. You are absolutely, 100% without a doubt incorrect here.

There is no belief required-- they can demonstrate these concepts to be true. Truth is what the facts are, and the facts are that physical concepts simply exist, whether you "believe" in them or not. Gravity, for example, exists. You release a ball from your hand while standing on Earth or the Moon, it falls down. Not sideways, not up, not diagonally, it falls DOWN (towards a planet's center).

xCivicx does not believe this is due to gravity. He thinks this is due to buoyancy and density (unaware those concepts have no meaning without gravity, either).

But as you can see, regardless of his belief, things still fall down. This is physics; you do not have to BELIEVE that things fall down, you can SHOW that it does.

And further, why the fukk would you go on an entire solliloquy, lying about you not saying scientists believe in science only to literally state that they do believe in science in the same paragraph?

:skip:

f you are being hung up on the word "belief", like most scientists are due to its religious associations, then we can easily change it to "trust". Scientists trust the laws of physics that they've been taught. They don't attempt to independently verify all of them, and outside of their specific field they rarely read the original experimental papers describing them - they believe what they've been taught

Breh, you are ill-equipped to debate this topic, and are obviously out of your depth. This is fukking comical. :snoop:

Scientists that actually do science independently verify the concepts within science BY ACTUALLY DOING SCIENCE AND MATH. You're obviously unaware that science is competitive, in that scientists are literally trying to debunk each other all the time. Scientific consensus is a figurative trial by fire; it is not taken lightly, and no one BELIEVES in these concepts. They understand them, and can demonstrate them, big difference.

They "trust" the science, because it works, and can be demonstrated to work. You "trust" that if you add two apples to a basket that already has two other apples, it'll be four in the basket right? Same concept-- that can be demonstrated. Trying to equate trust and belief in this way is weasel wording.

Every high school that has labwork has students independently verify the concepts presented to them in their books, allowing them (or anyone) the opportunity to debunk those concepts presented by actually doing the work. If anyone COULD debunk those concepts, there is a fat Nobel Prize waiting for them for their monumental discovery, incentivizing a scientist to actually independently verify things they've been taught.

Your view of this topic is straight up creationism/intelligent design levels of inarticulacy. You don't know what you are talking about, but assume that you do, due to your alleged credentials, my g. Pure Dunning-Kruger.

This is just a nonsense slur - I've posted far more of actual physics and actual church doctrine and history in this conversation than you have. You're complaining about anecdotes when virtually your entire argument is being made without anecdotes or broader evidence - you're literally just making assertions and then claiming they're true without any evidence at all

The beautiful thing about the things I'm saying is that I don't need to post things to verify them-- you can do that yourself. That's the wonder of science and science communication: everything I have said can be searched for and found by anyone here willing to do the work.

I am not trying to impress forum readers with my ability to Google and copy/paste things. I'm far more interested in dissecting the logic of my opponent when I argue, and will provide evidence when absolutely necessary.

See, you think this is a numbers game, where it's about who can post what and how many times, when I have demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about simply by responding to the arguments you've presented. I don't even NEED to post the relevant scientific literature-- I've already cooked you without it.

:manny:
Heck, you think scientists *believe* in these concepts anyway, so what the hell are you posting physics for? :troll:

And I didn't follow Christianity until I turned 19 - church was irrelevant to my life growing up just like it was irrelevant to my dad, and I was working towards being a future scientist long before I had any faith. Not sure why that personal anecdote of yours was relevant, but there you go

To understand why it was relevant, all you had to do was read my post in its context. I was responding to you saying this:

there are numerous very intelligent, highly educated Catholic priests who work in various teaching positions in universities

So you see, the point was that I, myself, am one of those people that you are referring to- an intelligent and highly educated (former) believer. I've done the work on both sides, and have come to no longer believe. However, I still have a pretty damn good grasp on what the religious believe, being that I was one, my family still are, and have studied the ideas presented by them (by force, unfortunately). As an atheist that has debated this topic more times than I can count over the past 20 years, I think I'm uniquely positioned to talk about this topic. Regardless of what you think of me currently, I'm sure you realize this, even if you won't admit it now.

So what's your point then? If you finally realize you made a wrong claim about the book, and that faith is mediated through the community and not through reading, then what are you trying to prove?

My point was quite clear. I even used the phrase "the point":

Hold on-- I see what you're trying to do here. Let's back up and clarify something: the physical book isn't the point of the argument. The legend contained within that book is the point

You've attempted to force an argument about the physical entity itself, whereas I've been talking about the doctrine contained within the book, using "the bible" as a euphemism for these systems. This is what I meant by I see what you're trying to do here; you want to make a side-argument about something else so that you can preen. I see right through that tactic.

My point was that the Catholic faith did not originate with the Bible nor has it ever depended on the Bible to continue

I'm aware, hence my points above. This is called a strawman argument. Your entire tangent is dependent upon you misinterpreting what I was saying here:

We only have a book that says a god exists, and the only evidence we have the book is true is the book itself

You took this as me saying they needed the book to create their doctrine, but the point I was making is that there is no evidence of a god outside of a book saying there was. Go on, click the quote and re-read what I was saying there.

My argument was about evidence, and you've (successfully) made me argue about a position I don't even hold, because I thought we (as in, you and I) were talking about doctrine itself, and I assumed you were smart enough to understand what I was saying. Good job, but this is the end of that. I won't reply to any more quotes from you about the book itself. I don't care about that, and I'm not interested in going in circles with you about it.

That's always a bad sign - if you have to disbelieve reality when you get challenged, then it suggests that you're not interpreting it very clearly.

Nah. The only thing it suggests is that I am a skeptic; I do not believe things without evidence, and you've given me nothing but reason to doubt you at this point.

You're right, I don't care for the philosophy of science. That is quite literally an endless debate. I only care about the hard sciences, and that which can be demonstrated to be true. I have no ego on this-- I go where the evidence points me. The only thing I have an ego about is my own ability to debate and parse through poor logic, but I've earned that ego.

I received my physics degree from one of the most highly respected STEM institutions in the country, did research work on a groundbreaking physics technology, and had an internship at one of the most renowned institutes of physics in the country. I am not only a trained physicist but am quite good at it, and was highly respected by my professors. I also worked hard to understand the underlying philosophy of science both in university and since, which you seem to have omitted in favor of the naïve philosophical claims of the scientists themselves. I had at least three lengthy discussions with a PhD philosopher of science and professor just this year - while she is an an atheist and quite a strong critic of religion, on science our views are almost perfectly aligned and she has used my writing in her courses

:salute:to you if all of that is true. This is the kind of thing I love to see. However, having said that, this is the internet, and you'll forgive me if I don't take you at your word. I am evidenced-based; DM me your credentials. I won't share them with anyone.

Last edited:

Th3Birdman

Rookie of The Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Continued, due to reaching the character limit :whoo:

lol - as I pointed out before, if you have to discard reality in order to fit your argument, then it's probably a poor argument. You misinterpreted the point of comparison in an analogy just because you have a hangup with the word used in it, then claim the person is inherently bad at analogies just because you read it wrong

No, I have multiple examples of you misusing and incorrectly invoking analogy. You explictly stated that an analogy is a comparison of two things that are fundamentally unalike.

The word "fundamentally" was your Achilles heel, as the opposite is true: an analogy is about two things that are fundamentally ALIKE.

In other words, the logic being presented has to be the same for an analogy to work.

This is not to say the two concepts being compared are THE SAME THING. Actually, you made an argument I've always made against people that argue against analogies, myself-- that if the two things were exactly the same, they would cease being an analogy, and would simply be that same thing.

The problem here is that I've pinpointed why your analogy was poor-- you believe that scientists BELIEVE the science they do, opposed to them understanding those concepts work through deliberate practice. You then tried to weasel in the word "trust", but even that is sketchy, because you're trying to equate trust with belief, which is exactly what intelligent design proponents do-- manipulate words to wedge their ideas into curricula.

Speaking of manipulating words:

The 1st definition in Webster's isn't type of fact being discussed here, you and I are both using the type of fact discussed in the 3rd definition "a piece of information presented as having objective reality". Both the first and second definitions are colloquial, casual uses that don't even belong in debates on either philosophy or physics.

Haha, that may have been what YOU were doing. Which is the problem, actually.

But what I am doing is using the first definition, as it's the ONLY definition that is applicable to this discussion, period. A fact is something that exists in reality, precisely what I said before posting the definition for you. I have no idea why you're trying to speak for me, and my intentions, but there's evidence in this thread that you're off.

The literal title of the thread is "do you believe in God". THAT is a philosophical debate, I only invoked physics to prove to you that the question cannot be answered within physics

Have you noticed that you and I haven't even broached the topic of "do you believe in God"?

(Actually, that's half-true: I asked you if you were a believer, and you never answered, but that's besides the point)

This is because you have taken me on a side-tangent, which is part and parcel on this website. Mods don't even make sure people stay on topic anymore, and sometimes join in on the fukkery lol

This is why I asked you to take our discussion to the DMs, because it's irrelevant to the topic at worst, and tangentially related at best, but is still interesting enough for me to engage. You took that as me having some nefarious ulterior motive about having the last word...

:francis:

Physics (and all science) is completely incapable of describing what happens outside of spacetime, or how spacetime could come into existence, or why spacetime exists at all

God of the gaps :russell::coffee:

All my claims about the physics ARE fact-based, and all my claims about religious history were fact-based as well, and my own personal belief in God is fact-based (though certainly not physics-based or science-based)

And that is precisely why your claims are not fact based. Thanks, we finally agree on something. Faith is not fact, it is faith. Creationists tend to get this confused.

Your attempt to demand that only natural, purely materialist statements can be made in a discussion of the supernatural is yet another attempt by you to control the conversation solely through assertions rather than facts or logic

I simply posited a simple philosophical problem to the other person, to get them to question their underlying logic-- if you believe that there is a god that is eternal, why not simply make the same assumption about the universe, more specifically, because you can actually verify that the universe exists?

There is a gap in the understanding here; believers make the illogical assumption that because something exists, it has to have a creator. This then means that a creator has a creator, and then we reach the problem of infinite regress. But it's the only thing that makes any sense, and is precisely why a lot of people finally reject creationism-- if something existing means there is a creator, then that creator HAS TO HAVE ONE TOO.

Creationists believe they have solved this problem by suggesting that god is eternal (which is what quite a few of you have stated in this very thread). The problem is that you don't even have evidence that god exists, so why not use that same assumption for something that you know actually exists? Where do you people get the concept of a higher power/god from? Why is that the assumption, is my point.

You then chimed in invoking physics. I'm fine with that, but if that's where YOU wanted to take the argument, that is the position from which we're going to argue. You have made it about facts, so let's talk facts. It's a reasonable request.

What is not reasonable is you attempting to weave the physical with the metaphysical. It's one or the other. Most religious scientists can separate the two (especially catholic scientists, ironically enough).

No, in reality, you have depended almost entire on assertions. Over and over you have made both philosophical and historical claims without the slightest evidence that your claims can be "demonstrated to exist", you're just trying to declare that your assumptions must be allowed to frame the debate.

Again, my positions are independently verifiable.

Anyone can fact check what I'm saying against verifiable sources and prove me wrong (or right). Mainly, I've argued on the basis of logic, though, so it's not really a "post evidence" kind of debate.

I have multiple threads on this board where I do exactly what you are asking me to do. The issue is that you and I are not debating the existence of god or any other scientific principle (actually, I'd be interested in hearing what your position on certain scientific principles are, such as evolution, and after today's debate, I think your answers are going to be interesting haha). We are talking about various side topics, such as definitions of words and analogies, things I did post evidence for in the form of dictionary links.

I think this is where Dunning-Kruger is clearly rearing its ugly head

:russ: on that, we most certainly can agree.

lol. There's clearly nothing to be done for you at this point.

That's cool. Typically, the one being schooled doesn't like being told they are. Completely human and natural response.

But one of us is being dapped by Sccit.

That says everything without saying a lot :sas1:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I argue for a living, and quite literally have nothing BUT time. My name might as well be Infinite Regress.

That's obvious from your responses - I pointed out earlier that your tactics resembled a debate club. People who "argue for a living" get the objectives distorted off top. You're arguing to argue, you're just trying to "win", the truth isn't the important part.

And everything that follows is just tying up loose ends. The ether that deads our debate will be in the following comment that comes afterwards.

Not to mention, that doesn't make sense, as YOU were the one that accosted me. I'm responding to YOU.

You quote me > I respond to that quote. If you continue responding to me, you'd have an odd-number statement/response system.

It only comes out odd if you post last, not me. You want to be the first one to comment AND the last.

But that wasn't even the point. The point was you demanded that I post my response via PM, but you're unwilling to do it unless I do it first. You think you can make demands to me but aren't even willing to do it yourself first.

If you wanted the last word, you should have just said that :Tim:

It's hilarious you write this when you literally demanded I give you the last word and then got upset when I didn't. :russ:

See? You're trying to skirt past my actual point, which is the legend itself, which is contained within that book. When someone says "the bible" (torah, quran), they're saying the teachings within, and you know that. I don't know who you think you're fooling with this deflection, but you're wasting my time.

You claimed faith comes from the book. I claimed faith comes from the experiences of the community passed down by people in the community, in addition to personal experience, and proceeds with or without the book (which is just another way of storing the experiences the community had already been passing down). It is interesting to watch the professional arguer now trying to claim my position as his own because he realized his was untenable.

Even your new claim, that it is just "the legend contained within the book", ignores that 95% of Catholic doctrine and practice isn't contained within the Bible. And that's just official doctrine, not to mention personal experiences and shared stories that are passed down from one Catholic to another, different in every part of the world. The origin of faith for any particular Catholic is FAR more expansive than Bible stories.

And further, why the fukk would you go on an entire solliloquy, lying about you not saying scientists believe in science only to literally state that they do believe in science in the same paragraph?
Why would you lie on a forum where I can literally post what you said? :wtf:

Breh, NOWHERE in those quotes does it show me saying they "believe in science". You originally tried to claim I said "believe in science", and then attacked me because "science is a verb". These were your exact words:

And again, you are suggesting scientists BELIEVE in science; science is a verb, my guy-- you DO science. You cannot *believe* in it.

When I pointed out that I had never said "believe in science", you quoted me saying they "believe in the laws of physics", and referring to "scientists' beliefs". Those are nouns, breh. Don't you realize that none of those statements make the "believe in a verb" error you claim I had made?

And then you accused me of lying when I pointed out that I had never done what you said I did. That's pretty shytty, not only to make a false claim in the first place but then accuse me of lying when I accurately defend myself.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is just pure nonsense. You are absolutely, 100% without a doubt incorrect here.

There is no belief required-- they can demonstrate these concepts to be true. Truth is what the facts are, and the facts are that physical concepts simply exist, whether you "believe" in them or not. Gravity, for example, exists.

This is the perfect example of how little you understand the philosophy of science. It's annoying over and over to see scientists gain certain beliefs about the physical world, and yet fail to understand where those beliefs come from. You've never taken a philosophy of science course in your life or even read a book on it, and you're trying to lecture me on the subject?

NOTHING in physics follows your claim that "there is no belief required" or "they can demonstrate these concepts to be true". Any actual physicist with a grain of integrity knows that they can't display such certainty for ANYTHING.

Think about it for a second - are Newton's Laws of Motion true? Because the entire global community of physicists believed them to be true for hundreds of years, until Einstein, Bohr, and Planck proved they didn't actually describe physical reality. The same goes for every physical law - it is invariably superseded by a new law that proves the old one false. You could have taken a different tact and claimed that physicists are aware they know nothing at all. But you took the opposite tact, claiming they know the truth absolutely, which is an attitude that the epistemologists deaded over 100 years ago.

Even your example, gravity, proves you wrong. Gravity is just a word for the fact that masses move towards masses. No physicist knows what gravity is. The current theory of gravity has been proven to be inaccurate, it doesn't work in black holes and it has been invalidated by quantum mechanics, but a working theory has not yet been developed. Scientists have postulated that gravity might be caused by a theoretical particle they call a "graviton", which they guess might be a massless spin-2 boson, but no one has ever detected evidence of such a particle or proven in any way that they exist.

Scientists don't know that gravity exists for a "fact". It's simply a theory, one they're certain is inaccurate, that might later be supplanted by a completely different theory just like many previous incorrect theories were.

Congratulations, you played yourself. Since you are a professional arguer I'm sure you'll try to salvage something from that, but anyone who knows the least about science and the philosophy of science can see you've dug yourself a hole there is no getting out of.

You're right, I don't care for the philosophy of science.

That is quite literally an endless debate. I only care about the hard sciences, and that which can be demonstrated to be true.

Your ENTIRE ARGUMENT is a philosophy of science argument. Even claiming "that which can be demonstrated to be true" is a philosophy of science claim, not a scientific claim.

Philosophy of science is a branch of philosophy concerned with the foundations, methods, and implications of science. The central questions of this study concern what qualifies as science, the reliability of scientific theories, and the ultimate purpose of science. This discipline overlaps with metaphysics, ontology, and epistemology, for example, when it explores the relationship between science and truth.

EVERYTHING you're saying in our argument is "philosophy of science", breh. You just think you can make statements about it without actually knowing anything about the field. It appears you don't even know the difference between "science" and "philosophy of science", because you're making one philosophy of science claim after another without realizing that you don't even have a high school student's understanding of the subject.

Breh, you are ill-equipped to debate this topic, and are obviously out of your depth. This is fukking comical. :snoop:
Your view of this topic is straight up creationism/intelligent design levels of inarticulacy. You don't know what you are talking about, but assume that you do, due to your alleged credentials, my g. Pure Dunning-Kruger.

In light of the above errors, these statements are :deadrose:

Last edited:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
That's one of my biggest issues with the story of god. We can't even keep a story straight if we try to tell it in the same language to the next person then have that person tell it to the next person. But somehow this story has been managed to be passed down centuries and I'm supposed to believe it's remained accurate.

Just a lot of holes in the logic.
well thats the issue with judgment

you make a stand on what you think and by default you put it on outside forces to change your judgment.

But God is within and on the outside. So when you begin judging what is accurate and what is and so and so you are saying to God that you are his logical judge (atleast to yourself)

Why do you think the Bible doesnt keep introducing new books and prophecies? Surely there are other testimonies. :troll:

Th3Birdman

Rookie of The Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
That's obvious from your responses - I pointed out earlier that your tactics resembled a debate club. People who "argue for a living" get the objectives distorted off top

Fair enough.

I would argue that I'm not the one that got the objective distorted, though. Actually, I wouldn't say you did either. Re-reading through this thread, more often than not, you and I are simply arguing past each other. An example of this is you talking about the physical bible, whereas I was talking about the doctrine within it. You weren't wrong about anything you said about the book's history (give or take a few hundred years), but neither was I; you simply misunderstood what I was saying.

Where I think you fukked up is attempting to blend a conversation (that you started, mind you) about physics into one about the supernatural. They are quite literally antithetical. I know you don't *believe* that, but it's the truth, by definition.

You're arguing to argue, you're just trying to "win", the truth isn't the important part.

Now, now.

You have my entire posting history and my public record making (again, public) arguments to go through to see that this isn't true. This is you making an emotional argument again. It's fair to say that I like to argue; so do you. You headhunt on this board far more often than I do. What's NOT fair is suggesting that the truth isn't important to me when I argue.

Fam, all I DO is post receipts. I have like a 3:1 receipt to posting ratio lol! That is like my entire thing. Frankly, I take that as disrespect.

And everything that follows is just tying up loose ends. The ether that deads our debate will be in the following comment that comes afterwards

Haha, what a poor choice of words, considering you think I am the one that needs the last word.

By the way, which one of us is Nas, and which is Hov? :ahh::huhldup:

It only comes out odd if you post last, not me. You want to be the first one to comment AND the last.

That's not how this works. I wasn't speaking to you, nor did I address you. You accosted me, beginning a new discussion about something tangentially related to the OP. Meaning, your post was first in OUR ARGUMENT. You challenged my assertion, directly inviting me to reply. I am on defense, you are on offense. In the dynamic between me and the OP, it's flipped, since I attacked his position, asking him a question, thereby inviting a reply.

But that wasn't even the point. The point was you demanded that I post my response via PM, but you're unwilling to do it unless I do it first. You think you can make demands to me but aren't even willing to do it yourself first

Come on dog. My post was not a demand; it was very clearly a request, and it was obvious I was doing it out of respect for the OP.

You've been debating morons and nikkas that are dishonest for far too long. You have the wrong idea about me, my dude.

You claimed faith comes from the book. I claimed faith comes from the experiences of the community passed down by people in the community

This is the disconnect that I mentioned above, but it's kind of shocking that you don't realize we are actually saying the same thing, but differently worded.

What is in the book, Rhakim? It wouldn't happen to be the experiences* passed down by people in the community, would it? :mjgrin:

Even your new claim, that it is just "the legend contained within the book", ignores that 95% of Catholic doctrine and practice isn't contained within the Bible

First of all, it's not a new claim, it was a clarification because you are either acting obtuse to win an argument or you are less intelligent that I thought you were.

(That was mean. But seriously, I had a much higher opinion of you than I currently do. I expected better from you)

Second, you are strangely ignoring the fact that all of this starts with the faith/doctrine/book/whatever. None of the things they do happen without the belief in a deity, which is all I'm saying. You want to get into specifics, and I'm speaking generally.

As a former Baptist, I'm acutely aware that Catholics behave differently than we did. It's like, no shyt. But we all had a belief in what the bible told us, and we were all there because of that belief. That's what I'm saying, and that was my point originally: that all stems from Christianity itself. I specifically mentioned the word "book" twice, the second time to say that the only evidence of the existence that we all believed in was relegated to that book.

You know that, yourself. Can you find any other source for the existence of a god outside of that book saying so?

When you have an answer to that question, you will finally understand what it is that I was saying.

Breh, NOWHERE in those quotes does it show me saying they "believe in science"

:DWILL:

It's like saying that scientists' beliefs are based on the current state of science textbooks
For the most part scientists do in fact believe in the laws of physics
The textbook records what they believe, but the basis of those beliefs comes from elsewhere. Just like the Bible records what Christians believe, but the basis of those beliefs came from elsewhere

Why are you lying on a forum where I'm able to quote you??????????????????????????????

:gucci::picard:

When I pointed out that I had never said "believe in science", you quoted me saying they "believe in the laws of physics", and referring to "scientists' beliefs". Those are nouns, breh. Don't you realize that none of those statements make the "believe in a verb" error you claim I had made?

This is an amazing juelz, like one that belongs in the rafters.

First of all, stop trying to insult my intelligence. You (as in you, personally) do not make a distinction between the laws of physics and science. I know you don't, so fukking spare me. I got quotes from you that prove you don't.

You think that the "laws of physics" ARE science, opposed to observations found through DOING science.

Laws are not the science that physicists actually DO. Laws are simply observations about nature. For example, the sky being blue in the daytime is, technically speaking, a "law". The science a physicist would do to EXPLAIN the sky being blue (because that is the purpose of all science: explanative power) is optics, understanding that light is radiation expressed as a series of waves.

So you see, just based on what I have quoted you on above, you are not making the same distinction I am making, and are instead using "laws of physics" as a stand in for "science" itself, as a layman would. The reason I know you aren't making this distinction is because there is no logic in stating "scientists believe in the laws of physics" if you don't actually mean "science". You cannot "believe" in the conservation of momentum; that is something that simply EXISTS, and your belief in it is entirely irrelevant. You do not BELIEVE it happens, you observe it. You demonstrate it. You document it.

The first quote is particularly damning, in that you state unequivocally that scientists' "beliefs" are recorded in and come from textbooks, attributing that to my logic about Christians.

There is a reason I quoted you three times. The other two quotes provide context that prevents you being able to lie about your intentions in the first quote. You actually think that scientists BELIEVE in science; you literally state that in the second quote, and in the third quote, equate those beliefs with those of the religious.

STOP LYING.

I don't know who the fukk you think you are arguing with, but Big Birdman is in the building :birdman::gurl:

I don't share personal info to anyone on the internet I don't know, especially when they're in the process of being hostile

Fair enough.

You don't have to if you don't feel comfortable. I would then suggest that you stop bringing them up in an argument on the internet; if you're not willing to provide receipts for your alleged credentials, they not only don't matter, they functionally do not exist.

You can Google practically anything in 2022. That's precisely why I stated to you that I don't have a need to try to out-Google you, and would rather out-logic you, which I'm doing quite handily.

That said, you state you're from Inglewood. So am I, and my immediate family still lives there. It would be nothing for us to link up, in person. That would assuage any doubt that I have any malicious intent towards you or exposing anything about you that you'd rather not be public. I'm simply defeating an argument on the internet, nothing more. That doesn't even compute for me, as I quite literally saluted you for your alleged credentials

:whoa:

Pretty close to you.

B.S. Physics
M.A. Education

Originally was going to be a scientist, then God told me I had to go serve the community instead.
But I've been posting my background for 7 years and talk about physics on here plenty, if I'm lying then it must be a pretty good long con.

Hahahaha.

Luken had also been posting fake news for a long time, and I deaded his shyt too. This doesn't mean anything to me. It's shocking you think I would believe that a person that is potentially lying wouldn't keep up the lie on an obscure, anonymous message board in a corner of the internet where free speech continues to persist, unabated.

It's like, what??? :mjlol:

Last edited:

Th3Birdman

Rookie of The Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
This is the perfect example of how little you understand the philosophy of science.

And you have wasted your time posting that block of words, because as I said earlier:

You're right, I don't care for the philosophy of science. That is quite literally an endless debate

So sorry, but I warned you. No need for me to respond to any of that. Maybe read what I say next time... :yeshrug:

Your ENTIRE ARGUMENT is a philosophy of science argument

Haha, but it's not. What you missed in the wiki article you cited is that it is "concerned with"; in other words, the philosophy of science debates these methods, and whether or not their efficacy is in question.

What you don't seem to understand there, is that there is a philosophy for... pretty much everything. You can philosophize baking; some people prefer their cookies a certain way, but that doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't put too much baking soda in your cookies, because the science of baking is kind of precise.

See the difference?

Anything else?

sonic-sonic-the-hedgehog.gif

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
LMFAO @ URKEL PRACTICALLY BEGGING @Rhakim TO LIKE HIM AGAIN AFTER GETTING ETHERED

“WHOS NAS AND WHOS JAY-Z”

:dead:

THIS IS THE BEST SHIIT I READ ON THE COLI IN AGES

DUDE IS THE DEFINITION OF A BUSTER

GREAT THREAD OP

:salute:

Toussaint

Struggle, challenge, and rise to struggle again
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m an atheist. I can see how someone might believe in a being having designed our universe given physics does get a bit weird the harder scientists look but fundamentally it chances as if there is a God of the gaps that being would have nothing to do with us.

You really think something of that infinite control over space and time would spend its days hatching elaborate schemes to get some shytting slobbering mammals to worship it?

Think of how boring the average human life is, how many humans die seconds after being born, how many humans die choking on their food, how many humans haven’t an exceptional bone or thought in their bodies. You think a being that can literally bend reality to its will is going to spend eternity obsessing over the lives of billions of unexceptional beings whose time of existence would be perceived by this “God” in less than a nanosecond?

Would you try to convince something with the intellectual capacity and life experience of a fruit fly to worship you? No? Well that what the gulf between a God that could effect the physical laws of our universe to us would be… Well, times 1,000,000 actually.

Fundamentally believing in a grand designer of this universe is the same as being an atheist if you apply any critical thinking to the concept. Congrats you are someone’s SIM city program left to run and forgotten about.