Do yall think John Boyega got next??

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Sure. There is no next Denzel or Will, just like there is no next Clooney, Cruise, Pitt, or Leo. The days of blockbusters being name driven are essentially over. The days of the $20 million actor are pretty much over too. The Rock and Kevin Hart are anomalies.

So if "having next" doesn't mean taking on those mantles, Boyega has as good a chance as any other young black actor. Boseman and Jordan are about to be the faces of quite possibly the biggest black event of the decade so they're set up lovely. That said, Boseman is already in his 40s and risks Black Panther/comic book movies being as good as it gets from here. MBJ is the one who stands to benefit the most from BP given he's just 30 and already has another semi-franchise established. He could be Ryan Gosling but with memorable roles.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Sure. There is no next Denzel or Will, just like there is no next Clooney, Cruise, Pitt, or Leo. The days of blockbusters being name driven are essentially over. The days of the $20 million actor are pretty much over too. The Rock and Kevin Hart are anomalies.

So if "having next" doesn't mean taking on those mantles, Boyega has as good a chance as any other young black actor. Boseman and Jordan are about to be the faces of quite possibly the biggest black event of the decade so they're set up lovely. That said, Boseman is already in his 40s and risks Black Panther/comic book movies being as good as it gets from here. MBJ is the one who stands to benefit the most from BP given he's just 30 and already has another semi-franchise established. He could be Ryan Gosling but with memorable roles.
Guess it helps when 3 of your roles are famous historical figures :troll:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

What he said. Michael B has the best chance of being this new version of “next” cause he’s got his own production company. THAT is the real major key going forward. Not only being a part of hit movies but producing them and having real capital.

That old star shyt is dead and the sooner everyone accepts that, the better

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Guess it helps when 3 of your roles are famous historical figures :troll:
I was talking about MBJ, breh:pachaha:I didn't want to say it, but I do think the fact that prior to BP, Boseman was pretty much the dude they picked to play every historical black dude that ever lived, might hurt his ability to prove he can take an original character into the mainstream.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Here’s a question for the thread and the forum in general since we always have this star talk: what actor under the age of 35 do you consider to be a star? And by Star I mean they consistently open up 100 million dollar movies

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

"Got next" in 2018 to me means what Chris Prat, the Rock, Kevin Hart, Mark Walberg and Jennifer Lawrence are.

I.e. the "loveable, familiar face" you call up to be the captain of the ship (franchise)... with the biggest thing being that the ship itself -not the captain- is the most valuable commodity. Which is why Baywatch will flop even with the Rock, but Jumanji can do half a billy. Or why RDJ as Iron Man is a billion dollars but RDJ as the Judge is a billion crickets.

On that end, Boseman and MBJ are in great positions. Chad, at 41, already is the go-to-guy for playing every historical black figure lol.. but Black Panther's success can either make him Chris Evans with a better resume (i.e. everyone knows who Chris is but ask the average person what movies he's been in other than Cap and F4, and most will go blank) ... or it can open the doors to him being a Chris Pratt... (who got to bounce off GotG, to now Jurrassic Park, that Western with Denzel, the space flick with Jennifer Lawrence, etc.).

MBJ is similar where bc of Creed, even before Black Panther, he got to be the face of a franchise that did well. Being the major villain (and perhaps a breakout role) in BP will enhance that, plus he's young and is known as a pretty boy in the same way as the Hemsworth and Pratt.

So that increases his chances of overcoming the :mjpls: barrier and taking on similar captain roles.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
"Got next" in 2018 to me means what Chris Prat, the Rock, Kevin Hart, Mark Walberg and Jennifer Lawrence are.

I.e. the "loveable, familiar face" you call up to be the captain of the ship (franchise)... with the biggest thing being that the ship itself -not the captain- is the most valuable commodity. Which is why Baywatch will flop even with the Rock, but Jumanji can do half a billy. Or why RDJ as Iron Man is a billion dollars but RDJ as the Judge is a billion crickets.

On that end, Boseman and MBJ are in great positions. Chad, at 41, already is the go-to-guy for playing every historical black figure lol.. but Black Panther's success can either make him Chris Evans with a better resume (i.e. everyone knows who Chris is but ask the average person what movies he's been in other than Cap and F4, and most will go blank) ... or it can open the doors to him being a Chris Pratt... (who got to bounce off GotG, to now Jurrassic Park, that Western with Denzel, the space flick with Jennifer Lawrence, etc.).

MBJ is similar where bc of Creed, even before Black Panther, he got to be the face of a franchise that did well. Being the major villain (and perhaps a breakout role) in BP will enhance that, plus he's young and is known as a pretty boy in the same way as the Hemsworth and Pratt.

So that increases his chances of overcoming the :mjpls: barrier and taking on similar captain roles.

Yeah the franchise is the star now. Thee actors are just an extra draw.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
What he said. Michael B has the best chance of being this new version of “next” cause he’s got his own production company. THAT is the real major key going forward. Not only being a part of hit movies but producing them and having real capital.

That old star shyt is dead and the sooner everyone accepts that, the better
Chadwick Boseman about to star and be the writer of Barry Jenkins next joint and 40 is the new 30 so he has just as good a shot. Plus I think he's the better actor.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That said, Boyega needs something that’s not pacific rim. I know it has its fans and I’m sure it’ll make him a big international star but that won’t get it done

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Boyega dope but chadwick is my fav riht now, message from the king one of the best movies i saw last year

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Boyega I don't know about anymore.... This current SW trilogy is :trash:

I'm going to see Pacific Rim 2, but yea.. I'm not expecting it to be good :skip:

His really gonna have to start picking/getting better roles going forward

Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, David Oyelowo, Andre Holland and Mahershala Ali got next.

I would throw Keith Stanfield in there too.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nobody is doing that.

Oh you do respond to stuff. Good.

And yeah, exactly. Nobody is. So this idea of a "star" needs to fundamentally change. At least the perception amongst the public because Hollywood gets it. Studios get it. Fans are still the ones thinking its still the 70s, 80s, 90s, or early 2000s