Do people still think VR is the future?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I just don't see VR being the future. At least not how it's currently implemented.

VR is cool for certain kind of games, Racing, Horror, FPS and mini games. When you start to stray outside of that...ehhh

I think it has a spot in gaming as it's own thing, but most games aren't going to be improved by VR.

VR and motion control games are a very similar niche. And just like motion control while huge and still used and has it's place, didn't just take over... neither will VR.

I feel like AR has a ton more potential but if VR is a generation away AR is probably 3 away.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I was so very very ready for VR. I thought it would be the future. I got the first Rift, Vive, PSVR. It was cool. Then it stopped being cool. Then I stopped even playing vr games. I tried again with Half-Life Alyx and it made me physically sick :huhldup:

maybe AR is the future. I guess if anybody can do it, it’ll be Apple. :yeshrug:

Genos

Superstar
Daps
It'll have it's own kinda growing niche sub-culture, but I don't think it'll take over everything like Meta trying to hype it up to be.

It'll be like a mature, vanilla VRChat
You can't see beyond today. Vr is in its 1980s pc days. It will be in its smartphone days by the end of this decade. Not being in vr/ar will be even worse than not having a smartphone today

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
200.gif

arresteddevelopment-its-happening.gif

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I believe that it has a place in the future but that it is not the future itself. Sheer economics. Facebook is subsidizing the Quest line to get it into as many homes as possible. Why? They have a metaverse that want people to get to. Thus far, only the Quest 2 has shown any real ability to be a success and that is through being a platform onto itself. This will remain this way until either the Quest 3 drops or another competent device is a platform itself. VR can't be a sideshow to a larger entity or device to really take off, that mean it being tethered to anything, be it PC or console, it has to be the end all, be all. I don't know anybody besides Facebook that is preparing their VR solution like that. That is what is needed to succeed. That's the business side. For games, it's immersive as all hell. A lot of franchises will work in there but therein the issue. Gotta get people to invest AAA games in that space. That's why Facebook is going to have to invest more money into this platform. 3rd parties aren't the main dish to a platform, they are partners. They need to lead.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just don't see VR being the future. At least not how it's currently implemented.

VR is cool for certain kind of games, Racing, Horror, FPS and mini games. When you start to stray outside of that...ehhh

I think it has a spot in gaming as it's own thing, but most games aren't going to be improved by VR.

VR and motion control games are a very similar niche. And just like motion control while huge and still used and has it's place, didn't just take over... neither will VR.

I feel like AR has a ton more potential but if VR is a generation away AR is probably 3 away.
well ya know xbox aint supporting it so of course u think that. thankfully the industry is bigger than Microsoft. this gen shows we are hitting a wall with the wow factor. honestly, last gen was too. VR is dope n a matter of price point.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
I can't argue this. It'll be a slow burn I think though.
The environmental scanning tech in vr will eventually lead to a 3d printing revolution. Starting with LIDAR capable headsets like apples next headset, people will start scanning real world items and 3d printing them out.

Like how Napster piracy fueled mp3 player sales, which fueled investment, that lead to the smartphone; real world "piracy" will lead to more investment into vr, which will lead to better tech, which will lead to smaller form factors.

Unlike holding a smartphone, which would be obvious that someone is scanning your shyt. Small form factor vr/ar transitioning glasses will be hard to detect. This will boost 3d printer sales and investment and bridge the gap more between what we have now in 3d printing and the end goal. Rearranging atoms to make any shape you want.

However you do not need perfect atomic construction to make massive changes. People will soon start printing clothes, cars, weapons, and all sorts of stuff. And as regular nikkas will be able to print out high level tech, test it, and have others on the internet test and make adjustments, humanity is going to level up insanely in the upcoming years.

Being able to transition in and out of the metaverse quickly, and being able to bring items into and out of the metaverse quickly will be an integral part of humanity and maybe human expression as as new instruments and technology will be coming out insanely fast.

Its an incredible time to be alive, a new frontier for humanity

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
well ya know xbox aint supporting it so of course u think that. thankfully the industry is bigger than Microsoft. this gen shows we are hitting a wall with the wow factor. honestly, last gen was too. VR is dope n a matter of price point.

This really has nothing to do with any console. This is strictly about VR

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
It's a gimmick. It's only good for these new walking simulator horror games.

Belongs in an arcade with them gun controller games :unimpressed: