DLC is the worst thing to happen to console gaming

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Some studios are getting better with the price tags like SOTC could've been 60 bucks for a 12 year old remaster but they charged 40. Same with Hellsblade which charged 30 but EA is :scust: with their prices. They charge 60 for the first week then 40 a week and a half after with almost every game that doesn't do well in sales that first week.
It doesn't matter how much the games cost upfront because many of these AAA games are making more off DLC than off game sales. activision blizzard made like $7 billion in total revenue last year and $4 billion was from DLC. More than half their revenue is DLC now.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Depends on how the DLC is done...

Fallout 3...NV...and 4 all had great DLC...

Anno2205 DLC was not only trash...it wasn't really explained and if you used it the wrong way you could fukk your zones up (which is what I did...and really couldn't use the DLC stuff until I didn't really need it)

Funny how everyone is so against micro-transactions where they are now the most profitable part of virtually every game that has them...

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's just getting worse and worse. I've reached a point where I buy the game day 1 and that's about all the money I'm spending on it. I don't even pay attention to the season passes and the DLC released later. If the stuff isn't included in the initial purchase screw it.

He's right. AAA games are basically going free to pay but holding on to the $60 price tag at the same time.

The concept that these companies need to supplement their games with DLC because development cost are too high and they can't make enough money is ridiculous. They choose to make the games as they are inflated budgets and all. They are the cost of these high cost. Part of doing business is keeping your cost reasonable so you can make a profit. If games are too expensive who's fault is that?

I doubt many will be as bare as a free to play. Maybe a multiplayer focused games but can't see that happening to single player story driven games

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I doubt many will be as bare as a free to play. Maybe a multiplayer focused games but can't see that happening to single player story driven games
Single player story driven games are likely a thing of the past at the major publishers inside the next few years. They make too much money off live services to put resources into making games that don't generate a recurring revenue stream for years. It's why EA canceled that Star Wars game Visceral was working on that was supposed to be single player story driven.

The future will be games like Anthem.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Single player story driven games are likely a thing of the past at the major publishers inside the next few years. They make too much money off live services to put resources into making games that don't generate a recurring revenue stream for years. It's why EA canceled that Star Wars game Visceral was working on that was supposed to be single player story driven.

The future will be games like Anthem.
:yeshrug: People are still buying those games so big budget studios have no reason to stop making them. If people start buying more smaller budget/independent games will start to see more of a rebirth from the mid tier developers that pretty much died out during the PS3/360 era. Let the big budget studios make their Games As A Service games, and everyone else continue what they are doing.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Pretty soon the entire market will be DLC. 60% of non-mobile spending in gaming is on DLC? That's insane.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Pretty soon the entire market will be DLC. 60% of non-mobile spending in gaming is on DLC? That's insane.

This is exactly what you wanted :gucci:

You think this all digital, subscription game future isn’t gonna emphasize in game purchases?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is exactly what you wanted :gucci:

You think this all digital, subscription game future isn’t gonna emphasize in game purchases?
No I don't think every single game needs to be a live service. First off people do not have enough time to dedicate all this time to live service games. They're just going to start cannibalising each other like Subway restaurant franchise and Gamestops being a quarter of a mile from each other.

If these companies think they're going to fill the market up with dozens of these games they're going to start seeing catastrophic failures. They're going to stomp this out like Activision killed Guitar Hero.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No I don't think every single game needs to be a live service. First off people do not have enough time to dedicate all this time to live service games. They're just going to start cannibalising each other like Subway restaurant franchise and Gamestops being a quarter of a mile from each other.

If these companies think they're going to fill the market up with dozens of these games they're going to start seeing catastrophic failures. They're going to stomp this out like Activision killed Guitar Hero.

Well thats the other side of subscription gaming, they will make up for direct sales with in game purchases. People need to stop being so short sighted, you aren’t getting high level complete single player games with no mtx for 10 dollars a month.

This is the future of gaming, cheap half-finished, and stingy on content. It’s doing exactly what the mobile market is doing, which is the gaming market thats making all the money. Thats why all these big publishers are paying out the ass for these shytty mobile companies.

Thats why sony, ubisoft, capcom, platinum, etc are all talking about making live service games now.