DLC is the worst thing to happen to console gaming

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Well thats the other side of subscription gaming, they will make up for direct sales with in game purchases. People need to stop being so short sighted, you aren’t getting high level complete single player games with no mtx for 10 dollars a month.

This is the future of gaming, cheap half-finished, and stingy on content. It’s doing exactly what the mobile market is doing, which is the gaming market thats making all the money. Thats why all these big publishers are paying out the ass for these shytty mobile companies.

Thats why sony, ubisoft, capcom, platinum, etc are all talking about making live service games now.
That's not the other side of subscription gaming at all though. That's companies looking at massively successful games like Fortnite and seeing that level of success then pushing for their own version.

A company like Bioware had no business making a live service game when that was never in their wheel house nor what attracted people to their games. Well it happened and was a massive failure and that had nothing to do with subscription services. Activision made just over $5 billion on micro-transactions in 2021 and they don't have a game subscription service either.

What game subscription service does Platinum Games offer?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That's not the other side of subscription gaming at all though. That's companies looking at massively successful games like Fortnite and seeing that level of success then pushing for their own version.

A company like Bioware had no business making a live service game when that was never in their wheel house nor what attracted people to their games. Well it happened and was a massive failure and that had nothing to do with subscription services. Activision made just over $5 billion on micro-transactions in 2021 and they don't have a game subscription service either.

What game subscription service does Platinum Games offer?

Its about what they’re gonna offer.

Platinum’s new CEO wants to create ‘larger, riskier’ games and hints at live service focus | VGC

You can already tell their gaming philosophy has changed with Babylon’s Fall. They, along with most big publishers are jumping head first into GAAS.

Even Arkane is doing it with Redfall. So many devs that were single player, narrative focused are chasing the service game model, i dont think there is a studio that isn’t

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Its about what they’re gonna offer.

Platinum’s new CEO wants to create ‘larger, riskier’ games and hints at live service focus | VGC

You can already tell their gaming philosophy has changed with Babylon’s Fall. They, along with most big publishers are jumping head first into GAAS.

Even Arkane is doing it with Redfall. So many devs that were single player, narrative focused are chasing the service game model, i dont think there is a studio that isn’t

Redfall is not a GaaS game

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Well thats the other side of subscription gaming, they will make up for direct sales with in game purchases. People need to stop being so short sighted, you aren’t getting high level complete single player games with no mtx for 10 dollars a month.

This is the future of gaming, cheap half-finished, and stingy on content. It’s doing exactly what the mobile market is doing, which is the gaming market thats making all the money. Thats why all these big publishers are paying out the ass for these shytty mobile companies.

Thats why sony, ubisoft, capcom, platinum, etc are all talking about making live service games now.

Gospel

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Because Microsoft purchased companies like Ninja Theory, Double Fine, and Obsidian to make massive online live service games.

The actual benefit of a subscription service is the fact that gamers can try games without having to invest $70 into them. Word of mouth can help many different games. A large group of subscribers can subsidize game developers to take a chance on something different because different people sub for different reasons and different types of games. The mega hits can help the smaller experimental titles.

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
You old heads loved Street Fighter 2, right?

That's where it all started.

Funny thing is…it’s still a broken mess of a fighter,

at the time No, but through a 2022 lens ain’t no way they would some of those characters movesets work the way they work.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Any game with in-game purchases directly in the menu screen is a service game to me

Please show me the in-game footage you've seen of this:skip:

Even still, selling DLC doesn't make something a live service game. Being a live service game makes it a live service game:heh:

You really just spreading misinformation then being like "well this is my definition" when corrected :dead:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Any game with in-game purchases directly in the menu screen is a service game to me
A service game is designed to keep you engaged long term possibly years into it. Redfall sounds like a conventional open world game with single player and online co-op.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
I honestly don't care, it was bound to happen because gamers are largely retarded. I avoid those games so mtx is no problem for me now.

The day the gaming industry goes to shyt I either go retro or quit altogether.:salute:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Thread is this
R.ef3a12f621183df0dea5fac0d7f799b7

In reality gaming is cheaper and more varied than it’s ever been.

People like spending money on the games they like to play.

Why you mad bro??