DLC is the worst thing to happen to console gaming

Bathing Ape

BAPE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
JPN
you're gonna act like Xbox Live didn't introduce DLC to console gaming? we had real DLC back in the PS2 generation when Sony ran shyt right?

Microsoft laid the bricks for this on consoles. Sony followed their blueprint and Nintendo kinda followed it but kinda shunned it.

what console games had expansion packs?
You gonna act like the other consoles weren't gonna introduce in the near future?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You gonna act like the other consoles weren't gonna introduce in the near future?
you're speculating about what may or may not have happen. i'm talking about what actually happened. they sold us DLC as a way to expand upon games and extend them and it became a way to nickle and dime gamers and break games up into pieces.

remember when we used to have things like cheat codes in games. now that's DLC. now they build games with systems that are tedious then say if you don't wanna be bothered buy this dlc and unlock this content instantly. DLC has lost most of its benefits to us as gamers. its just another way to milk us now.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
what happened to the days where u got more content unlocked for progressing in a game :ohhh:

dlc's always been around, but now we pay for it :smh:

i dont mind things like a complete game like they did for lost and the damn and ballad of gay tony but like in cod paying for extra maps :pacspit: i never copped any dlc from cod. fukk em :pacspit:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Loot boxes in single player games like Shadow of War with Orcs in them. Destiny 2 basically making you collect purchasable items to change the color of your armor and having those items be disposable. Season passes being advertised before the game even releases. Pre-order the game and the season pass. Game companies just continue to dial up the fukkery.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
It sucks but at the end of the day it's probably what's best for console gaming. Developing these games aren't cheap, and they're getting harder and harder to make which means needing more and more of the best talent in the industry.

With all the time and money invested into these giant projects if they don't make a strong profit then these studios won't be able to make these AAA games and probably be forced to make stupid mobile games or other low risk low investment games. Just be happy the games are still $60 after all these years, and for most of us, $48.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Is DLC bad for gamers or is it bad for first adopters?

As some posters stated, those who've been patient and purchased a game when all the DLC was available and discounted are eating heavily.

As a first adopter, I do think DLC is a bad thing.

There are exceptions...such as Rainbow Six Siege. The developers deserve a fukking reward for the support and content that they provide.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Is DLC bad for gamers or is it bad for first adopters?

As some posters stated, those who've been patient and purchased a game when all the DLC was available and discounted are eating heavily.

As a first adopter, I do think DLC is a bad thing.

There are exceptions...such as Rainbow Six Siege. The developers deserve a fukking reward for the support and content that they provide.
Except developers are now switching to a micro-transaction style with randomized loot boxes, doesn't matter when you buy the game then.

Back in the day you could directly buy the DLC you wanted. Now they wanna put that DLC in random loot boxes and have customers make multiple purchases in a hope of getting the item they want. They're taking stuff out of the game that was a feature in game 1 and suddenly in game 2 it's a purchasable item with fake money you have to overspend real money on to get preset amounts that's sure to leave you with some of the fake money left over after the transaction but not enough that you don't have to buy more for your next transaction.

Buy 200 silver for $20.00 and that gun you want cost 105 silver. In fact the lowest price of any gun is 105 silver so when you buy 1 gun you're left with 95 silver 10 short of what you need for another one and opps 200 silver is the lowest amount we sell.

It sucks but at the end of the day it's probably what's best for console gaming. Developing these games aren't cheap, and they're getting harder and harder to make which means needing more and more of the best talent in the industry.

With all the time and money invested into these giant projects if they don't make a strong profit then these studios won't be able to make these AAA games and probably be forced to make stupid mobile games or other low risk low investment games. Just be happy the games are still $60 after all these years, and for most of us, $48.
Gaming in weird in that its one of the only industries where the companies involved engage in dirtbag practices and their consumers will defend and rationalize it blaming other consumers instead of calling out the companies.

If it's hard to make profits off the goods you're selling there's something wrong with the goods and the price not the consumer. I supported the developer when I paid them $60 for a game. If $60 isn't enough then charge more. Don't charge me $60 upfront and try to bake in all these small transactions and shady things that take advantage of people with gambling addictions so you can nickle and dime people for far more.

Nobody makes them creep the development cost up to such ridiculous levels but them. The industry decides what the industry makes then it complains it can't make enough money. That's like you deliberately cooking a meal that can feed a family of 3 and you have a family of 4. Obviously there isn't gonna be enough food so you scale to fit.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree DLC is the absolute worst.

Prolongs outdated Games that are in need of a sequel.
A definitive version always comes out for cheaper the price you originally paid.
DLC items are expensive as shyt.
Content is already on some games and you need to pay to unlock.

Last gen was the start. But this gen these developers are going full retard with the dlc shyt.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
Gaming in weird in that its one of the only industries where the companies involved engage in dirtbag practices and their consumers will defend and rationalize it blaming other consumers instead of calling out the companies.

If it's hard to make profits off the goods you're selling there's something wrong with the goods and the price not the consumer. I supported the developer when I paid them $60 for a game. If $60 isn't enough then charge more. Don't charge me $60 upfront and try to bake in all these small transactions and shady things that take advantage of people with gambling addictions so you can nickle and dime people for far more.

Nobody makes them creep the development cost up to such ridiculous levels but them. The industry decides what the industry makes then it complains it can't make enough money. That's like you deliberately cooking a meal that can feed a family of 3 and you have a family of 4. Obviously there isn't gonna be enough food so you scale to fit.

It's not as simple as you're trying to put it. First of all if they tried to spike the prices the gaming industry would not be okay with it. Gamers are the most hyper sensitive and overly critical groups around. Hell we grew up on the internet so it's no surprise. Look what happens when Sony spiked their price up with the PS3. Damn near lost half their consumers to XBOX. XBOX tarnished everything they built in one day for the botched announcement of the XBO. Can't just go around changing the price and expect people not to boycott your game. Gamers do weird shyt like that.

And yes, gamers like you and I would probably be still willing to buy AAA games for upwards to $100. Hell I'd pay that for Witcher 3 no questions asked. But Im a 26 year old out of college and working. Parents won't be willing to buy their children a $400 console and then $100 games on top of it. You'd be isolating a whole demographic. Bunch of broke bums on the Coli bytch about prices all the time. Selling mattresses and shyt to buy Halo. You'd be isolating them too

Second, yes gamers DO want these extremely high dev costs. Who are you kidding lol? Gamers buy $3,000 rigs just to play games. Of course they want extremely high end graphics and well designed games from the best devs around. It's also up to these developers to keep innovating. If they were still making games like they were even five years ago the industry would crash. Gamers been crying for a HD remake for FF7 for 10 years. Now that we're getting it all I see is people bytching about the potential costs of an episodic release. You're talking about a game with MULTIPLE CONTINENTS and giant cities to explore. Of course it's going to be expensive to make and therefore expensive to purchase. These giant open world and FPS AAA games are what the industry cries for everyday. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with niche games that rehash ideas like Persona.

These developers put their soul into these games. Working about 80 hours a week just to meet deadlines and they don't even get paid that well. No shyt they're going to try to maximize their profits. If you're so against just don't buy these "loot boxes" with a random gun that you want. Or stupid clothes and decals and shyt. People crying over customization DLC is ridiculous.

The only DLC i've ever purchased was the Porsche DLC for Forza Horizon 3 and I've enjoyed gaming just fine. This thread comes off as bratty. Gamers need to fukking chill.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Use to joke with my friends about all the dumb stuff that would happen with DLC, that like 6-7 years ago. Now the most retarded shyt goes on and people defend it or tell you bend over with them:scust:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
It's not as simple as you're trying to put it. First of all if they tried to spike the prices the gaming industry would not be okay with it. Gamers are the most hyper sensitive and overly critical groups around. Hell we grew up on the internet so it's no surprise. Look what happens when Sony spiked their price up with the PS3. Damn near lost half their consumers to XBOX. XBOX tarnished everything they built in one day for the botched announcement of the XBO. Can't just go around changing the price and expect people not to boycott your game. Gamers do weird shyt like that.

And yes, gamers like you and I would probably be still willing to buy AAA games for upwards to $100. Hell I'd pay that for Witcher 3 no questions asked. But Im a 26 year old out of college and working. Parents won't be willing to buy their children a $400 console and then $100 games on top of it. You'd be isolating a whole demographic. Bunch of broke bums on the Coli bytch about prices all the time. Selling mattresses and shyt to buy Halo. You'd be isolating them too

Second, yes gamers DO want these extremely high dev costs. Who are you kidding lol? Gamers buy $3,000 rigs just to play games. Of course they want extremely high end graphics and well designed games from the best devs around. It's also up to these developers to keep innovating. If they were still making games like they were even five years ago the industry would crash. Gamers been crying for a HD remake for FF7 for 10 years. Now that we're getting it all I see is people bytching about the potential costs of an episodic release. You're talking about a game with MULTIPLE CONTINENTS and giant cities to explore. Of course it's going to be expensive to make and therefore expensive to purchase. These giant open world and FPS AAA games are what the industry cries for everyday. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with niche games that rehash ideas like Persona.

These developers put their soul into these games. Working about 80 hours a week just to meet deadlines and they don't even get paid that well. No shyt they're going to try to maximize their profits. If you're so against just don't buy these "loot boxes" with a random gun that you want. Or stupid clothes and decals and shyt. People crying over customization DLC is ridiculous.

The only DLC i've ever purchased was the Porsche DLC for Forza Horizon 3 and I've enjoyed gaming just fine. This thread comes off as bratty. Gamers need to fukking chill.
sounds like an internal issue within the company and either too many employees, high salaries or over paying for comtract work. has nothing to do with consumers except consumers have to pay for these idiots mistakes.

theres just too many examples of indy games having success, with low over head and their creators turning rich because of $20-30 price point with quality content and no DLC and letting the consumer decide if its worth a purchase.

these "AAA" games/studios are trying to sell the title of the game more than the content of the game. its why Call of Duty was so easily knocked off the throne by Overwatch. It was because they built their entire franchise on "Buy this new Call of Duty cause its Call of Duty :jawalrus: "

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I blame blizzard for popularizing this stupid loot crate shyt.

Once gamers gave them a pass for overwatch it was free reign for everyone else.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
Some of its bullshyt.

But stuff like extra maps or extra story, that were actualy made after the game was released is dope. Who wouldnt want some shyt like that for a game you realy like?

I dont even realy fukk with dlc. Im usualy done with a game by the time dlc comes out.