Did Portugal have the biggest fall-off in Colonial history?

Amsterdayumn

$outhern Smok€
Daps
Reppin
Amsterdam, the Netherlands & Paramaribo, Suriname
Gotta put the Dutch, England and Spain in the top 3 flat top

The Spanish & Dutch = bum ass nikkas :flabbynsick::flabbynsick:
What :gucci: Do you even realize how much the US fell of to the rest of the world, especially the last few years? :dwillhuh:

We even saved y'all another Katrina-like catastrophe a few days ago with our water infrastructure :picard:

Daps
Reppin
London
the prince of Portugalin 1522 choose to liberate Brazil from Portugal then went to invade Portugal later and became king before dying from TB... damn i aint know all that

What happened to Portugal? It was a world power with a naval presence, great explorers, and colonies around the world in the 1400s/1500s, but doesn't have the same stature now. - Quora

There are many dates that show the downfall of Portugal from grace. The main ones, in my opinion:

• 1580 - following the disappearance of the king in battle, Spain invades and claims the Portuguese throne, beginning the Iberian union that lasted until 1640.
  • 1755 - as the Brazilian gold is starting to run out, a huge earthquake hits Lisbon - you can’t make this stuff up - the rich Imperial capital crashes down and burns, killing thousands and starting a huge crisis. The municipality of Ouro Preto where gold was found was the most populous city of Latin America, counting on about 40 thousand people in 1730 and, decades after, 80 thousand. At that time, the population of New York was less than half of that number of inhabitants and the population of São Paulo did not surpass 8 thousand
  • 1806 - Napoleonic wars, the entire royal court flees to Brasil, moving the Capital to Rio de Janeiro. The duke of Wellington comes to help repel the French, the war leaves Portugal devastated.
  • 1810–1910 - Portugal loses Brasil in 1822, is left economically devastated, declares bankruptcy multiple times, faces civil war and multiple rebellions.
  • 1910 - Republican revolution. the 1st republic lasts 16 years and has 45 different governments
    • 1916 - Portugal joins WW1, in a effort to keep its colonies, it works
  • 1926 - after a period of political assassinations and ungovernability, a new military-backed dictatorship begins.
  • 1961 - Beginning of African Colonial wars
  • 1974 - End of the dictatorship, Portugal formally (and chaotically) abandons all of its colonies at the same time (except Macau). The country starts becoming what it is today.
The loss of independence in 1580 is relevant as it is a clear date when Portugal stopped being able to defend its colonies and started losing territory instead of expanding. Spain neglected the Portuguese colonies and used (read: lost) the Portuguese navy in its European wars. After the independence is re-established in 1640, many colonies are recovered, but the country largely missed out on the golden age of early settling and establishing trade posts and never becomes expansionist again.

The key aspect though, is in the highlighted 1755. The Lisbon earthquake hits Lisbon right at the start of the industrial revolution, and Portugal misses out largely on this period, never really catching up with the rest of Europe.

During the XIX century, when France and Great Britain reached the peak of colonial expansion, Portugal was simply bankrupt. Without an industry and facing constant instability, Portugal managed no more than to keep its colonies, largely due to the diplomatic will of GB.

Finally, in the XX century, Portugal is stuck in a corner of Europe, poor and under developed, and managing a vast colonial empire that cannot really afford. The regime was super traditionalist and industrialisation was not a priority. It closes itself to the outside world and tries to keep its colonies at all costs, but could’t really pay for those costs and the economy in Portugal starts to deteriorate even more, while the rest of Europe was booming.

After the 1974 revolution the decision to drop all the colonies at once was not surprising. People just wanted the war to end and nobody could be fooled into believing they were “ours” anymore.

So this is story of how Portugal became this:

Brazil got independent in 1822 but everything else is spot on!

Repped

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Where do you live? I met a few full blooded Natives here in the Southwest
Grew up in Dallas but have been living in Houston for the last five years. Like I've said I've met people who claim to have Indian ancestry but they were usually full of it but never met a legit Native American.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
I’m going with the Ottoman Empire .

they went from top 5 to not mentioned at all…not because they’re poor but because it don’t even exist anymore .

Atleast Portugal is still a thing

Last edited:

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Today they are the poorest country in western Europe.

Facts. dudes were struggling like Greece and looking for stimulus packages and handouts from the EU. I can’t believe that a couple posts into this thread a lunatic called them “still one of the richest countries in the world”. Coli people don’t know what the fukk they’re talking about.

being dominated, rightly so, by one of their former colonies:

Portugal Dominated Angola for Centuries. Now the Roles Are Reversed. (Published 2017)

Portugal indebted to Angola after economic reversal of fortune | Europe | The Guardian

Is It Portugal’s Turn to Gain ‘Freedom’ From Angola?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Gotta put the Dutch

Came in here to say the Netherlands/Dutch have to be the biggest colonial L.
I least the other colonial powers have modern day influence due to language and to an extent culture. Dutch have 1 country where a b*stard derivative of their language is used? (afrikaans).
I wonder how many americans even know the Dutch had colonies. Dutch had influence in the U.S and lost those areas with the quickness

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
How the hell Brazil got a higher GDP than Portugal? :mjlol:

Portugal is that old nikka on the block that used to get fly and have bytches back in the 80s.

France is the OG mob boss still having money & gettin fly.

Britain is the well-respected old head with multiple mansion homes.

Spain is the old head with heart disease, but he still get fly sometimes.
You also have to account for Britain's son (America) being the big dog on the block. They were the predecessor of the greatest superpower in history.

mykey

Superstar
Daps
Portugal is a joke. Their people are emigrating to Angola and Mozambique to look for opportunities cuz their economy is crap.

:russ:
Portuguese migration continues to Angola

port-mig.jpeg

Date • 11 Apr 2017

It is not very common for Europeans to move to African countries. However, in the wake of the economic crisis of 2008 many Portuguese have sought a better future in former Portuguese colony Angola.

Previously, many Angolans went to Portugal, but now labour migration is going in the opposite direction. Figures from 2014 show that between 100,000 and 150,000 Portuguese live in Angola and the migration does not seem to be subsiding. NAI researcher Lisa Åkesson is writing a book about this reverse migration.

“The book has attracted a lot of attention, because it is a new form of migration that challenges many stereotypes. For example, many European migrants have difficulties integrating”, Åkesson says.

Growth has slowly increased in Portugal, but it's still tough for young, recent graduates.

:laff::laff::laff:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I mean the entire country of Portugal in modern times is outnumbered in population just by the state of Texas alone 3 to 1. I would honestly say this tiny ass nation overacheived if anything. :manny: