Did Jesse Pinkman ruin Breaking Bad's replayability for you?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't see it that way...

I see it as Jesse was the reason Walt could never be all that he could be...Jesse is that part of Walt that ruined his life long before he started with the meth, and got himself ran out of a lucrative legitimate company that he helped found...

He represents Walt's weakness...Jesse was the beginning and the end of Walt...

Jesse is that emotional weakness that many of us have that stops us from achieving great things...He is that feeling of procrastination before a big exam, he is that lack of motivation at work, he is that irresponsible behaviour with our finances, he is that little child who refuses to take responsibility...

Jesse is the reason why Walt could never be as balanced as Gus...I don't see Jesse as a moral compass, but a representation of failure...

You just answered your own question as to the point of the character. He existed to facilitate the down fall of Walt. Gus even told him "never trust a junkie".

Cavario H., a real life 80s drug kingpin, said Jesse was one of the most realistic parts of the show. 9 times out of 10 in that life style your downfall will be the people you surround yourself with....that in some cases you should cut off, but can't for whatever reason.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's one take, but i would say Walt's ego is the reason he could never be as balanced as Gus. Walt loved the notoriety of being Heisenberg. He liked having the best product, not because it ensured his business would succeed, but because only he could do it. It was an ego thing. He liked being in control. He threw it in Hanks face a number of times because he thought he was untouchable. Yes Walt was calculated, but his was far too ego driven to see things as objectively as Gus. He actually rejected help a number of times becuase of his own pride. If Jesse represented failure, it was Walt's failure to show genuine care, compassion and humility. It was a number of times that he could have steered Jesse right, but he didn't because he was too self involved.
Nah...

(1) Jesse was a fiend before Walt met him...
(2) Gus initially didn't want to fcuk with Jesse..
(3) Walt failed because he was unable to recognize and understand why Gus didn't want to fcuk with Jesse in the first place...

But then Walt eventually became Gus, and at that point, he should have eliminated Jesse, but the writers did not give a good reason for why Walt didn't...

Why didn't Walt kill Jesse, in your opinion...?

Except for the nostalgia, I would say that it was to show that Walt was still just a suburb dad underneath all that chaos...But Walt did worse when he poisoned the kid (yeah, he said he used the right dose, but what if the kid was allergic or immune suppress, he didn't know that)...So, there is NO good reason for Walt letting Jesse live, especially since Jesse brought so much uncertainty...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You just answered your own question as to the point of the character. He existed to facilitate the down fall of Walt. Gus even told him "never trust a junkie".

Cavario H., a real life 80s drug kingpin, said Jesse was one of the most realistic parts of the show. 9 times out of 10 in that life style your downfall will be the people you surround yourself with....that in some cases you should cut off, but can't for whatever reason.

Fred.
I understand this...

But the writers didn't do a good job to make this clear...Basically, they didn't give us a good reason for why Walt didn't kill Jesse...

Jesse is DeAngelo Barskdale...

Avon couldn't kill DeAngelo because they were family, so he didn't really see how much of a liability DeAngelo really was, and so, Avon always gave DeAngelo a chance to redeem himself...

However, Stringer was as calculating as Walt (Walt was probably even more), yet, Stringer saw DeAngelo for the coward that he was and took care of him...But the writers of Breaking Bad could not explain why Walt let Jesse live...

Jesse was putting Walt's family at risk (for crying out loud)...The reason why Walt was going through hell was because he was thinking about his family, Jesse was the biggest threat to that, and Walt still let him live...

They dropped the ball with that plot line...

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wrong Gus had an ego as big as Walt, he had an even bigger one truth be told. He wanted the best product out and invested 20 years in getting it. He toyed and taunted the Dea just as much Walt . Having the old ASAC over and cooking fish with him. Then taunting a cartel leader , he his ego was to take out an entire cartel to flood the south west the blue.
true, he had a major ego, but he wasn't ego driven, he was fare more calculated.

They should have killed him, because they CLEARLY had NO clue about who he was suppose to be...

Walt saving Jesse didn't make me feel like Walt was more "human"...I already admired Walt for the sacrifices he was making to ensure his family was taken care of...The fact that his family didn't understand and appreciate that, made Walt an even bigger "hero" to me...

Walt was carrying the cross...

Jesse was just "confusion"...He was the downfall, the liability...Jesse was the BIGGEST threat to Walt's mission, and Walt knew this, and yet the writers did NOT give us a good reason for why Walt was keeping Jesse alive...In my opinion they didn't...

Walt was putting himself through hell to guarantee his family's safety...He was willing to do ANYTHING for assure this...Yet, he refused to get rid of the BIGGEST threat to his mission, just because they started out together in a small caravan...?

The writers never really provided a CONCRETE reason for why Walt needed Jesse alive...Just some emotional "remember back in the day when we first blah blah"

It PISSES me off...:pachaha:
but walt wasnt just doing it just to ensure his family was straight. if that was the case he would have used alot more reserve and also he had opportunities to get out the game but choose to keep going. it might have started out that way but even he admitted to skylar that in the end he was doing it for his own satisfaction.

as far as why Walt didn't kill Jesse, in my opinion its because inside his own head Walt really thought he was the god of the shyt and that no matter what went down he could figure his way out of it. he didn't see Jesse as a threat, he saw Jesse as a child and figured no matter what he would always have power over Jesse.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

BROWARD

#thankyoukobe
Daps
Reppin
Florida Boy
I tried to like jesse but just couldn't ...dude was always fukking up at the wrong times and was a rat/snake :snoop:

walt jr was a bytch ass nikka too for selling out his pops like that..nikka stayed on his uncle hanks dikk :scusthov:

Skyler/Marie were both annoying as shyt :damn:

:salute: walt, saul, todd, mike and gus

volk

Daps
Reppin
LA
I could easily be wrong about the two time affair thing btw, I'm going off memory and I've only watched the show through once. But in the same breath, who cares if I'm wrong, that one affair that happened during the shows time line would be a big enough nightmare for any man anyway :stopitslime:

Btw why is posting via mobiles such a ball ache? :why:

Weren't they pretty much divorcing by the time that affair happened? The relationship was pretty much done, the divorce papers were drawn up, Walt had become a completely different person by that point, she was fed up with his lies and she was barely talking to him. I didn't think it was that crazy. Walt has done much worse and put Skylar in such terrible positions all throughout the show.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I understand this...

But the writers didn't do a good job to make this clear...Basically, they didn't give us a good reason for why Walt didn't kill Jesse...

Jesse is DeAngelo Barskdale...

Avon couldn't kill DeAngelo because they were family, so he didn't really see how much of a liability DeAngelo really was, and so, Avon always gave DeAngelo a chance to redeem himself...

However, Stringer was as calculating as Walt (Walt was probably even more), yet, Stringer saw DeAngelo for the coward that he was and took care of him...But the writers of Breaking Bad could not explain why Walt let Jesse live...

Jesse was putting Walt's family at risk (for crying out loud)...The reason why Walt was going through hell was because he was thinking about his family, Jesse was the biggest threat to that, and Walt still let him live...

They dropped the ball with that plot line...

:dwillhuh:

Breh you're looking for a logical story based reason when I just told you there is no logical reason in real life, yet it happens all the time. I'm not saying Vince and his writers were in the streets to know that, but it does reflect the reality of that life style. And ultimately, just like in real life, it led to Walt's down fall.

I don't think we needed Walt to give a monologue on why specifically he kept Jesse alive. Hell, he basically did that in season 2 anyway, at the first meeting with Gus.

Gus: I have to ask why. Why him?

Walt: Because he does what I say. Because I can trust him.

And that's pretty much it. :manny:

And as far as Walt letting Jesse live, you're forgetting Walt has a massive ego that clouds his judgement. He actually thought he could manipulate Jesse even after he tried to torch his house.

It's not like Jesse was killing off Walt's family and Walt was :manny: "eh, he's just misunderstood". He let that shyt ride for one episode. As soon as he seen that he'd finally lost control of him ("Rabid Dog") he immediately called for his death.

Fred.

Last edited:

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
I never get the Skylar hate. Walt was constantly lying to her (badly) and doing dumb things that put the family in danger. Was she supposed to act like everything was all good?
A lot of posters on thecoli dont really have any perspective.

If you ask them, white suburaban Skyler shouldnt have batted an eye and shouldve been a down ass bytch from the instant she found out Walt was a meth kingpin, never asked any questions and sucked his dikk every time he walked in the door

Jesse shouldve totally changed and became basically another soulless killer that didnt care about anyone, basically a carbon copy of Walt.

Walt Jr shouldve also started cooking meth and become a cold-blooded kingpin.

Walt shouldve smoked his own meth in the last episode and gone out shooting against the cops in a cheesy Scarface homage

And everyone else shouldve also basically been badasses and also not care at all about any of the terrible things Walt did throughout the series.

All of this wouldve made for a better show according to some posters.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
A lot of posters on thecoli dont really have any perspective.

If you ask them, white suburaban Skyler shouldnt have batted an eye and shouldve been a down ass bytch from the instant she found out Walt was a meth kingpin, never asked any questions and sucked his dikk every time he walked in the door

Jesse shouldve totally changed and became basically another soulless killer that didnt care about anyone, basically a carbon copy of Walt.

Walt Jr shouldve also started cooking meth and become a cold-blooded kingpin.

Walt shouldve smoked his own meth in the last episode and gone out shooting against the cops in a cheesy Scarface homage

And everyone else shouldve also basically been badasses and also not care at all about any of the terrible things Walt did throughout the series.

All of this wouldve made for a better show according to some posters.

This :pachaha:

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
It's funny how Team Walt calls Skylar an unsupportive bytch but ignore how she was willing to take on life crippling debt just so Walt could live another year. Or how her lawyer kept advising her to turn in Walt and she still couldn't do it. I know team Walt attributes that to her being in it for the money, and they have a point considering she got that fancy ass....car wash ? She didn't even buy herself a 32 inch HDTV to replace that shytty tube TV they had.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Never hated Skyler or Jesse. Only Walt.

I never hated anyone. Everyone's reasons and motivations for their actions were mostly explained quite well. Walt may have been the closest cuz he was the epicenter to nearly everyone's problems in one way or another, whether passively or directly.