Did Black Folks really create Country Music? That’s what shea butter twitter is claiming now.

Are you a fan of country music?

• Yes

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
Which has been argument that people like Mickey Guyton has been bringing up for years that people didn't bother talking about or bringing up until Beyonce made the transition to country.

"Didn't bother talking about it" or didn't know period? Because the way this narrative is being framed is that black people knew en masse and just didn't give a fukk about it. That's my issue because I think it's ridiculous.

And people talked about it when Lil Nas X made Old Town Road and country music station weren't playing the song or nominating it for awards. This was years ago. So it wasn't like this is something that started with Beyonce. Black folks turned up for him too and he was a nobody until that song dropped.

The "yall don't care about Mickey and the others" narrative not only accomplishes nothing in this current discourse, but it's untrue too.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
I definitely ain't going to country music festivals, but I do like some country music. I don't go to Aerosmith shows for the same reason but I fukk with their music.
You have people talking about “this is Black American music” when the fan base of that genre don’t even like black folks . We all know the history of America. Every genre of music in this country has influence by the slaves that were brought to this continent. I still don’t accept country music as being our music though. If you enjoy the music cool. People are really saying this because they don’t want judgment from other black people for liking the music. Mind you a lot of people are liking it because of beyonce. So it’s a “defense”

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
"Didn't bother talking about it" or didn't know period? Because the way this narrative is being framed is that black people knew en masse and just didn't give a fukk about it. That's my issue because I think it's ridiculous.

And people talked about it when Lil Nas X made Old Town Road and country music station weren't playing the song or nominating it for awards. This was years ago. So it wasn't like this is something that started with Beyonce.
It's a combination of both as there are both people that didn't know and didn't care because if they did then they would have continued supporting black country artist after Lil Nas X when the situation came up again with black artist like Mickey Guyton who arguably got it worse than Lil Nas X did. She could have used the same support and push for airtime play as both Lil Nas X and Beyonce has.

It didn't stop with Lil Nas X, but people are now bringing up the topic of discussion again like she's the only artist that has tried the genre since then.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They’re do music they love.. can’t knock them for it but their main audience is white country fans. Black fans

You quoted an opinion piece. That’s why I need @IllmaticDelta to really break this down. Without a doubt Black people influenced the music especially with the blues. I wouldn’t claim country music as “our music”. I’m definitely not doing it now just because beyonce made a country album.

Point being there’s plenty of resources out there to find the answer to your question.
The moment y’all start wanting black people to do the research on your behalf we know what time it is.

Get on your Googles

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
And Vanilla Ice invented hip hop
It’s been almost 60 years since Elvis debuted and that narrative of white people creating Rock and roll has never flourished. Even now we have a bigger voice and misinformation can be “checked”

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It’s been almost 60 years since Elvis debuted and that narrative of white people creating Rock and roll has never flourished. Even now we have a bigger voice and misinformation can be “checked”
The only reason is because rock and roll is about 75 years old. He came too late to make that claim. Cacs would have a better argument with Jerry Lee Lewis but that’s bullshyt too.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
Point being there’s plenty of resources out there to find the answer to your question.
The moment y’all start wanting black people to do the research on your behalf we know what time it is.

Get on your Googles
Google is not always accurate. You’re also assuming I haven’t googled. From what I’ve “googled” I’m getting mixed information about country music. Consider the close proximity White people had with slaves in this country it’s not shocking they took things from them.country music and their fan base I’m not willing to claim.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
They’re do music they love.. can’t knock them for it but their main audience is white country fans. Black fans

You quoted an opinion piece. That’s why I need @IllmaticDelta to really break this down. Without a doubt Black people influenced the music especially with the blues. I wouldn’t claim country music as “our music”. I’m definitely not doing it now just because beyonce made a country album.

Yes, it's true. What became known/marketed as "Country Music" came from blacks slaves, who first played fiddle and banjo together (sometimes called 'Old Time music', the precursor to Bluegrass music)

and when rural whites started doing "Black blues" music on the guitar, sometimes called "white blues" or "hillbilly blues"

s-l1600.jpg

S1 E1: “The Rub” (Beginnings – 1933) | Country Music

Black Artists Built Country Music—And Then It Left Them Behind

But as hillbilly music became a commercial product in the 1920s, record labels began dividing their releases into “hillbilly records” and “race records,” under the presumption that consumers bought music according to their race. Many of the black performers on hillbilly records went uncredited or were even scrubbed from marketing images in favor of white stand-ins. The genre was quickly positioned as an authentic return to the music of the idyllic rural white Mountain South, in direct opposition to the black “modern dance music” of the era.

This marketing ploy meant that many black artists were pushed to the margins of country music, even if they remained influential behind the scenes. Lesley Riddle, a black guitar player, helped A.P. Carter of the Carter Family hone his repertoire of mountain songs and greatly influenced the fingerpicking guitar style of Maybelle Carter, who is considered one of the most influential guitarists of all time. Rufus “Tee Tot” Payne mentored a young Hank Williams; Gus Cannon taught a young Johnny Cash. Bill Monroe, called “The Father of Bluegrass,” talked of his indebtedness to the guitarist Arnold Schultz. But all of those black artists would be vastly eclipsed by their mentees.

And the one black star of country music’s first era, DeFord Bailey, was likewise treated with an ambivalence that sometimes bled into contempt. The harmonica player, who was the grandson of a slave, became the most frequent performer on the Nashville radio station WSM’s Barn Dance, with his virtuosic renditions of “Pan American Blues” and “The Fox Chase” riling up audiences across the south. In 1927, one of his performances even provided the backdrop for the genesis of the Grand Ole Opry, the radio program that became country music’s central institution, with Bailey one of its pioneer members.

Burns hopes that Lil Nas and other rising black stars like Kane Brown, Blanco Brown and Jimmie Allen will help return the country genre to its diverse roots, and to a time before an early promise of integration was eclipsed by commercial interests. “You can’t conceive of this music existing without this African-American infusion,” the historian Bill C. Malone says in Country Music. “But as the music developed professionally, too often African-American musicians were forgotten.”

https://time.com/5673476/ken-burns-country-music-black-artists/

woH73zY.png

Shultz, the son of a former slave, was born into a family of touring musicians in Ohio County, Kentucky, in 1886.[2] In 1900, Shultz began studying guitar under his uncle, developing a jazzy "thumb-style" method of playing guitar that eventually evolved into the Kentucky style for which such musicians as Chet Atkins, Doc Watson and Merle Travis would be known.[2] Professionally, Shultz was a laborer, traveling from Kentucky through Mississippi and New Orleans, working with coal or as a deck hand.[3]

In the early 1920s, he played fiddle in the otherwise white hillbilly and Dixieland band of Forest "Boots" Faught. To the occasional complaints this brought (objections like "You've got a colored fiddle. We don't want that!"), Faught would simply reply, "I've got the man because he's a good musician."[3] Shultz also played with Charlie Monroe and gave Bill Monroe the opportunity to play his first paid musical gig, joining together at a square dances with Shultz playing fiddle and Monroe on guitar.[3][4]

cljGV7h.jpg

4Hkjpg3.jpg

knGmKpH.jpg

If you go to this link, you can hear an old interview from the 1960's with The Everly Brothers and their father Ike talking about Arnold Shultz and the origin of Travis Picking

7th track

Everly Brothers and Ike Everly Newport Folk Festival Jul 19, 1969

from a new BLuegrass docu

Bill Monroe's Formative Years | Big Family: The Story of Bluegrass Music

full docu

Big Family: The Story of Bluegrass Music | Big Family: The Story of Bluegrass Music

riddle and the carters

in fact, all of the main father's/mother's of country music, got first hand teaching from black blues men

hank williams and teetot payne

Rufus Payne - Wikipedia

bill monroe and arnold shultz

attachment.php

Arnold Shultz - Wikipedia

everly brothers father and chet atkins also learned from arnold schultz

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
It's a combination of both as there are both people that didn't know and didn't care because if they did then they would have continued supporting black country artist after Lil Nas X when the situation came up again with black artist like Mickey Guyton who arguably got it worse than Lil Nas X did.

It didn't stop with Lil Nas X, but people are now bringing up the topic of discussion again like she's the only artist that has tried the genre since then.

Bruh cmon. Mickey Guyton didn't even put out an album until 2021, two whole years after Lil Nas X made OTR. The wave of support was there for Lil Nas X and black country stars and their struggle for recognition in 2019, but no wave lasts in the forefront forever. Those artists and their fans gotta take responsibility and keep making the issues they face known and keeping the conversation going...and putting the folks who just now paying attention on to the talented artists in the space (which yall are doing a good job of doing in this thread btw)