Did Black Folks really create Country Music? That’s what shea butter twitter is claiming now.

Are you a fan of country music?

• Yes

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

Van Glorious

LB4LIFE
Daps
Reppin
South Jamaica Queens, NY
You dumb mfs never heard of Bluegrass? The main instrument (the banjo) originated in Africa and was recreated here during Slavery. Bluegrass was the sound of slaves in this country where we sung our pain, hardships and our hope. Our sounds were later mocked in something called Minstrel Shows for their entertainment and monetary gain. Once again having our identity and now our music stolen from us. They stole everything else from us so why would they stop at our music you idiots. I don't blame yall though. It's the faults of parents not teaching their kids nothing.

Last edited:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
No. Country Music is the white man's version of the blues. But most American genres of music started with black people..

I ain’t never seen nobody say black folks created country music until about a week ago

Now I heard we created rock and roll all my life

Literally

No need to defend country music even if its created by us when blues blows it out the water

And its actual relatable
Y’all are straight up retarded. Black people invented not only the genre but the actual banjo instrument itself.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They truly don't see the big deal with using black artists as poker chips. A lot of these bluesmen they like to prop up so much died destitute and poor. Black people didn't want to hear them. For all the talk, we created this genre or we created that genre, black people have no problem throwing those genres in the trash for the next big thing. Maybe if black people continued fukking with country and blues and rock we wouldn't have to defend ourselves and argue narratives that we created them. The only reason rock still exists is because a bunch of Englishmen that idolized black music decided to make music like their heroes. And unlike black folks here they decided to give their old heroes their flowers. A lot of old blues guys got new career opportunities and berths due to white rock guys going,"I didn't create this. I got it from my heroes Muddy Waters and BB King." Rock guitarists were having duels on who could play blues songs the best.

You can see it already happening to funk. There's barely any black guitarist teachers and you'll see white dudes teaching funk guitar and teaching white boys how to play Maggot Brains. Go to a Funkadelic show and you know I'm right. It's a sea of white. For all their talk, black audiences love to toss away black artists for the next best thing all the time every time.

"We make the trends". Yeah, well, this is what making the trends gets ya.

There's a funny disconnect between black artists and black audiences.
I watched quite a few music documentaries and in them you always see white folks bigging up forgotten black artists of musical genres. It's a shame how we throw away music genres and artists that don't fit into the rap and R&B box :smh:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are a lot of unlearned responses in this thread. The central instrument to Country music is the banjo. The banjo is an instrument brought to America by enslaved Africans.

Yes Black people were central figures to the creation on Country/Bluegrass music. All anyone has to do is research names like

Leslie Riddle
Rufus "Tee Tot" Payne
Arnold Schultz
DeFord Bailey

Those names are literally the starting point for what is now known as Country/Bluegrass music.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I might have said this last week already so I apologize but the problem/criticism I have with the convos we're seeing is that they feel disingenuous. The people loudly yelling that "country music is black music" have no real intention of verifying if it's true, or exploring the genre, or doing anything to familiarize themselves with anything beyond blindly retweeting information they aren't even consuming. The entire crux of all of this basically boils down to "Beyonce is doing this and I will support it." Nothing else matters. I felt the same way about her last album, where we suddenly had a certain demographic of people yelling about house music being black music yet doing nothing to explore the genre or learn why so many house/electronic stans weren't even that impressed by her album. While it's great that people are being exposed to different sounds as artists move away from the same downtempo+trap drum sounds of the last 15 years, I'm not sure it's truly appreciated or sinking in beyond just "support Beyonce."

I'm reminded of when Solange dropped an album that sounded nothing like what anyone expected, and the reactions were largely negative because she doesn't have the clout or cult that her sister has. If you venture too far out of the box of what urban black music is supposed to sound like, you get killed unless you have the fanbase and record label machine to sustain. To me that says a lot of bad things about modern music listeners and how closed off people's ears are. I'm not sure there's ever been a time in America where people essentially listened to one genre of music like they do now. If rap fans listen to r&b today it's largely rap production and rap-like lyrics. Everything is so homogenized and I'm not sure where the exit is.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There are a lot of unlearned responses in this thread. The central instrument to Country music is the banjo. The banjo is an instrument brought to America by enslaved Africans.

Yes Black people were central figures to the creation on Country/Bluegrass music. All anyone has to do is reached names like

Leslie Riddle
Rufus "Tee Tot" Payne
Arnold Schultz
DeFord Bailey

Those names are literally the starting point for what is now known as Country/Bluegrass music.
I was say bluegrass grew out of ragtime with Irish and/or Scottish influence blended in.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I watched quite a few music documentaries and in them you always see white folks bigging up forgotten black artists of musical genres. It's a shame how we throw away music genres and artists that don't fit into the rap and R&B box :smh:
Hell you can argue black folks threw R&B in the trash too! It's not nearly as ubiquitous as it once was. It still gets made, not denying that, but hardly has the same leeway it once did.

Because to the many uninformed , "Rock/Rock N Roll" means "white" music the same way they think "Pop" means white music because the white industry made "white music," "Pop," and "Rock" synonymous for marketing reasons.
Still a stupid ass reason to throw your shyt away.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Hell you can argue black folks threw R&B in the trash too! It's not nearly as ubiquitous as it once was. It still gets made, not denying that, but hardly has the same leeway it once did.

Well for your sakes most black people ain’t gonna be bothered with your bullshyt when the time comes so no loss there

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

Still a stupid ass reason to throw your shyt away.

Black people never threw "Rock" away though....they continued making it under the label of "Funk"

DonRe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Country music or that blue grass shyt is trash.

Folk music, in that realm of music, is tolerable. Even good at times

But country music is not something to be proud of