Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
I agree with Denzel.
Black women making bad decisions and chasing after street dudes who predictably either end up in jail or become deadbeat. Black men glorifying ignorance that is known as gang/street life, gangbanging, selling drugs, shooting and killing each other over dumb shyt and inevitably always ending up in the system. Kids never growing up with authority and positive figure in their life, staying out of school, dope feign mothers etc.

The racist system of white supremacy, while it makes life extremely difficult for black people and ensures we have to work harder than others to get the crumb of the meager resources, it doesn't excuse lack of responsibility, accountability, determination and ambition that's plagued the black community.

Let's be better and do better. as long as America remains a majority white country that's controlled by white people, nothing will change. we are all we have got, so let's stop making it easy for the oppressors to keep us down.

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
If you want to think the system is unbeatable thru education, you go ahead. I don’t see what’s wrong by saying “you should educate your children about the system” and “systems” in general, which is what Denzel is saying.

If you don’t want to think it increases your chances, you can believe that too. I’d say you’re incorrect based on my own life experiences. Having parents involved in your life, ones bent on helping you understand racism in America, can help when you’re younger. I’ve interacted with the judicial system but I’ve never been punished or pursued or tied into it. I wouldn’t say I’ve done anything special either other than listen to my own father’s advice about interacting with the police. That’s why I can say Denzel’s advice is good advice. Because my own father had plenty of conversations about things of that nature. At home.

Any other point you’re making doesn’t take away from his.

My points directly contradict his own. The system is built to in-prison Blacks. It is easy because Blacks aren't serious about making power moves. He doesn't know what he's talking about and should remain quiet.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
He's telling part of the truth. I don't even know if I wanna get into blk American population statistics b/c doing so might just depress you and I don't feel like going to find the links.

Suffice it to say that black on black violence, black male mortality rate, and mass incarceration, has resulted in a very very skewed ratio of black men to black women in our community.

All races in America have more men than women, but the gap in the black race in terms of population is about 4 times worse.

Also, our population demographics reveal that we are a very young race. Meaning the majority of our population is represented in ages 1-35z This is sobering b/c it implies that many aren't living past a certain age.

So think critically here. W/o turning this into some dumb ass gender battle to justify ur own lack of romantic success. But think critically.

Next up consider the fact that the overwhelming majority of blk women are single and childless with the bulk of our children being born by 3 million blk female baby boomers, and 60% of those chicks have multiple babies by multiple blk baby daddies.

What does this mean? The implications are that
A.) People aren't lying when they say there is a shortage of black men. And there is a zombification of black women. It's statistically accurate. But it's not b/c they are sorry or any other lie touted. It's b/c they have been systematically targeted by a racist system thru the army, the failure of the education system which leads to, mass incarceration, drugs, and poverty. All of which are intended to kill blk men and break down black women to make them easily exploitable.
B.) We are lacking elders. If the bulk of our race is located in younger ages, we are literally feeling out new terrain with each generation. It's not only generational wealth at stake, but a cornucopia of wisdom and teachings that are usually passed down. With each new younger and younger generation, we lack the guidance of a strong elder population who is overworked and driven to an early grave more in our race than in any other.
C.) the lack stable family structure leads to black men and women viewing dysfunction as the norm. That's why so many black men and black women are choosing toxic people to fukk, date and marry unsuccessfully.

But Denzel couldn't touch on these issues in a 20 second media spot, sooo it is what it is.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Stopped watching after he said "Denzel just got lucky!" :stopitslime:

ad hominem attacks? really? from a supposed black intellectual?

again - it's not that D is wrong, but he just wasn't suppose to say it.
He clearly outlines how Denzel is clearly wrong using actual facts and data. Not just talking shyt with his gut feeling.

And yes as talented as Denzel is, there are probably other extremely talented black actors who hit a systemic roadblock

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
He clearly outlines how Denzel is clearly wrong using actual facts and data. Not just talking shyt with his gut feeling.

And yes as talented as Denzel is, there are probably other extremely talented black actors who hit a systemic roadblock

2 things man
1) he would never say that to denzel's face about him being "lucky" or whatever, we all know this - clearly he's upset is the point I'm making. :comeon:

2) I KNOW social workers - friends and family. they've talk about this often in casual conversation; this is NOT the first time this has been said in the history of human beings.

in fact, if you google this topic you'll see the hundreds and thousands of articles on this

so again - for the 5th time in this thread: DENZEL IS NOT WRONG, he's just not suppose to say it - people are disagreeing with his perspective, but he's not WRONG.

Kuro

Tru grit
Daps
2 things man
1) he would never say that to denzel's face about him being "lucky" or whatever, we all know this - clearly he's upset is the point I'm making. :comeon:

2) I KNOW social workers - friends and family. they've talk about this often in casual conversation; this is NOT the first time this has been said in the history of human beings.

in fact, if you google this topic you'll see the hundreds and thousands of articles on this

so again - for the 5th time in this thread: DENZEL IS NOT WRONG, he's just not suppose to say it - people are disagreeing with his perspective, but he's not WRONG.

so because you know social workers that often casually talk about this topic that proves denzel is right?...all the people that blames the system with facts and evidence are wrong?...

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
Howdy Black folks!
Don't forget to go about your day and be saints y'all! Don't you come back here and blame no damn systum!
Tryin' ta live normal lives and shyt...

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
so because you know social workers that often casually talk about this topic that proves denzel is right?...all the people that blames the system with facts and evidence are wrong?...

I followed that up by saying use google. This is not the first time anybody has said this.

Firefly

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Our individual lives start in the home.

The system started and was established before we were even fukking born. :francis:

I hate when black people, through luck, circumstances, opportunity, and sometimes tap dancing manage to avoid the pitfalls in the system, get a little change in their pocket, and then start talking that respectability politics shyt. :camby:

What about the ones who did back breaking work, were denied opportunities, stayed clean, And made it?

You would have the same response.

If they give the formula and tell you it IS NOT EASY and the SYSTEM is Set up to Ffukk US, Why are so many still not paying attention and letting the system ffukk em?

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
I believe there is strength in numbers. The more black people, greater chances of leaders among us arising to the challenge of fighting this demonic system on all fronts. Not having children is counterproductive.

A child can only build from the foundation that he/she was given. As it stands right right now, collectively, black people can't even give the child a stable home with a present mother and father.

Furthermore, it's is the parents job to provide a better future for their kids...not the other way around. You're way of thinking is putting too much responsibility on a child that you chose to have. It's downright selfish to expect your child to save you from your own circumstances. SMH

So the plan is to continue having children and hoping one of them does something to fix the problem.

:lupe:

Exactly.

Because it all starts with the woman... EVERY other race except blacks seems to understand that single mothers, and their influx equal the downfall of any community. That it takes a strong, two parent household to raise families. That is why single mothers receive, and deserve most of the blame.

You fail to realized that every other race grew up with the father in their home. Collectively, their fathers (1) married their mothers (2) took care of the home (3) witnessed a hopefully healthy relationship between their parents and (4) built the child's self esteem through active parenting b/c they had the free time and money to do so.

So when you say that it all starts with the women, I need you to understand that it also starts with men cherishing a family structure.

And I say this as a person that loathes the baby mama/baby daddy epidemic that black people are so desperately trying to normalize.

Overall, Denzel definitely has a good point, but its only half the story. Systemic racism is the other half.

Daps
I don't disagree really. Unfortunately poor upbringing typically results in a troubled adult life and then in many NOT all cases we make it easy work for them.

Love your kids, and be there for them even if you and the Mother don't make it. Make it for your kids Brehs.

Daps
A child can only build from the foundation that he/she was given. As it stands right right now, collectively, black people can't even give the child a stable home with a present mother and father.

Furthermore, it's is the parents job to provide a better future for their kids...not the other way around. You're way of thinking is putting too much responsibility on a child that you chose to have. It's downright selfish to expect your child to save you from your own circumstances. SMH

Exactly.

You fail to realized that every other race grew up with the father in their home. Collectively, their fathers (1) married their mothers (2) took care of the home (3) witnessed a hopefully healthy relationship between their parents and (4) built the child's self esteem through active parenting b/c they had the free time and money to do so.

So when you say that it all starts with the women, I need you to understand that it also starts with men cherishing a family structure.

And I say this as a person that loathes the baby mama/baby daddy epidemic that black people are so desperately trying to normalize.
What comes first? The chicken or the egg? We have to start somewhere. Simply limiting our procreation until we have a thriving and sustainable community is nonsensical and self defeating.