Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We just had an epic thread showing how true this is :

Inside A Crips Gang Initation With The Silent Murder Crips From Brownsville Brooklyn

Don't come in here now acting like what Denzel said is some far-fetched shyt.:sas2:

And I hope y'all aren't that dense to believe the man is giving a pass to the system.
He's simply saying that we OURSELVES feed into it and makes it easier in ways ala:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/ther...tellin-the-world-how-violent-they-are.583719/

just going off the quote “So you know I can’t blame the system,” :hubie:

you may know his intentions better than me. I am not saying he didnt make a mistake or mince wrong words....but there is a problem with that statement. and yes...that statement equates to giving the system a pass. read it again. did he say it or was he misquoted? :hubie:

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Breh, you are a fascinating character almost @artbarr like, but correct me if my memory is wrong through years of reading your posts: you speak about the late 80s and early 90s club scene with first hand knowledge; you were involved in the music industry managing artists; you've told more stories about bytches you've fukked who were in a relationship/married than I can remember; you've been involved in hip hop media as a writer; you are also an electrical engineer and have had jobs where white leadership couldn't tell you shyt because the project depended on you; and you've also worked as a supervisor overseeing a bunch of riff raffs who you would play "turn up music" for on the job site?

Am I missing anything? How old are you? You are a truly fascinating character.

dont forget he's Al Haymon's investment partner :ufdup:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
The system is akin to a shark or another malevolent force and at this point can't be changed or reformed. However, good family members can guide you on avoiding the pitfalls of being caught up in it's clutches.

But somehow that is a bad thing.....

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Nikkas in here trying to repair the furniture while the elephant in the room keeps tearing shyt up :snoop:
A lot cats in here missed their true calling. They should be working in the medical industry. At least there you get paid for treating the symptoms instead of the disease.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
A lot cats in here missed their true calling. They should be working in the medical industry. At least there you get paid for treating the symptoms instead of the disease.

nikkas in here don't even have concrete ideas on addressing the disease.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
The system is akin to a shark or another malevolent force and at this point can't be changed or reformed. However, good family members can guide you on avoiding the pitfalls of being caught up in it's clutches.

But somehow that is a bad thing.....
Using your analogy and the metaphor of the system being a shark, suppose you don't have "good" family members or family members who know how to avoid the shark themselves? A kid being raised by/around people who've been wounded by the shark and don't know how to avoid the shark themselves, is likely to end up the same.

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
You respectability ass Negros need to take a look into the last 400 years of history and try and find any example of Black people "behaving" their way out of being victimised by White supremacy.
Can some brothers move in a way where theyre less likely to get victimised by the dominant society? Sure. Getting on a raft out in the middle of an ocean means youre less likely to be a meal for the sharks. But youre still in the middle of that same ocean and aint nothing but miles of salt water and bad weather around the corner.
fukk RESPECTABILITY POLITICS.
The most "respectable" Black folk have been gunned down, lynched, and placed behind bars, their "respectability" didnt stop White supremacy from victimising them.
Black folk been lynched and had dogs and water hoses put on them in their Sunday best. The Nation of Islam walking around in a suit and tie, preach chastity to the women, believe in two parent homes, does that stop them from being put on an FBI watch list.
Some of yall make me sick.

Last edited:

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
Like it or not, Denzel influences more people than you do and probably ever will. As far as serious black person, yes he is a role model to serious black people. Black actors aren’t serious black people? Practically any black actor will mention Denzel as a source of inspiration. Even the fact we’re talking about an interview he did shows he has more influence over our conversation than we to his.

The words that come out of you guys in this forum is ridiculous. You’re debating on the premise he isn’t your role model but it’s obvious his voice stretches longer and influences more people than anyone in this forum criticizing his words. Just because you don’t care for him doesn’t mean “serious” Black people don’t.

And when I say system, I’m talking about judicial system. Realize what he and we’re talking about. Not white supremacy. I’ve never had interactions with the judicial system and I’m 33. So, you can bypass interacting with and getting caught up in it. I’m proof. And I would say it came from parents and upbringing, not because I was some smart kid.

I see you guys just like to talk about your own lives and use it to frame your analysis.

I posted up research in this very thread about how it isn't about having a strong family unit because when the Black family unit was strong in the early 1900s, Blacks were still jailed at a disproportionate rate. 9% of the population but made up 34% of prison population. You guys want to harp on about complete and utter fantastical nonsense.

And I don't give a damn how many people Denzel influences. The only people I care about are the ones that matter. And the ones that matter are few and far between in Black society, unfortunately. Quality over quantity.

And Black Hollywood is sucking the tit of White Hollywood, and when Black people do gain some power, it is given away to White people or they still pander to White people. Denzel's influence is worthless and his words of "wisdom" are worthless to any serious Black person.

Not worthy of a response, because you simply cannot offer one. Why'd you even respond if that's the case? You know what both me and Denzel are saying is the truth. Like most nikkas, you don't want to acknowledge the truth, because it's likely a reflection of yourself, your MAMA , and you're environment. Hey, whatever lie helps you sleep at night.

No shyt.

The reason my response/answers are quite short is because I provide simple answers to simple people.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I see you guys just like to talk about your own lives and use it to frame your analysis.

I posted up research in this very thread about how it isn't about having a strong family unit because when the Black family unit was strong in the early 1900s, Blacks were still jailed at a disproportionate rate. 9% of the population but made up 34% of prison population. You guys want to harp on about complete and utter fantastical nonsense.

And I don't give a damn how many people Denzel influences. The only people I care about are the ones that matter. And the ones that matter are few and far between in Black society, unfortunately. Quality over quantity.

And Black Hollywood is sucking the tit of White Hollywood, and when Black people do gain some power, it is given away to White people or they still pander to White people. Denzel's influence is worthless and his words of "wisdom" are worthless to any serious Black person.
the thing is, I’ve been understood figures and how blacks are disproportionately jailed. But, that isn’t the only way people end up tied in the system, and it doesn’t always come down to jailing either. So saying “it starts at home” isn’t bad. education. maybe if we thought of telling our sons and daughters more about systems, they’d learn how to avoid them. Just a thought. Because just like he said, you and I BOTH know things already but, as you illustrated so clearly, it’s been the same for 100+ years.

BasketCase

Superstar
Daps
Denzel is human and has made a mistake here but he's far from a c00n. His history speaks for itself.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
In as much as 'home'/'parents' do play a big role in how most people turn out, people are mostly a product of their immediate environment. And the prison system by design was created to keep people from certain backgrounds in check.

So it goes both ways.