Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Denzel is an actor. He reads a script and recites those lines on film, getting paid very well for it. I commend him for his work, films that I enjoy very much. But, he did what maybe a handful of blacks are able to do in any given generation. That's not making "it through the system despite the odds." Making it through the system is waking up in hellish surroundings, applying yourself to the books, staying focused, and achieving great success - business/job, family, children, etc. I don't compare what Denzel achieved with the true winners of black society. So, as detached as he is from actual black experience, his opinion is kind of irrelevant.
He didn't emerge from his mom's p*ssy a fully grown man popular actor. He was a child then a teen then a man then he became a popular actor.

Daps
He didn't emerge from his mom's p*ssy a fully grown man popular actor. He was a child then a teen then a man then he became a popular actor.

OK? But he lucked out. What he's accomplished is something only an infinitesimal amount of blacks can achieve. Him speaking on the pathos of the black community strikes me as extremely tone deaf and detached.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
In “Roman J. Israel, Esq.” Denzel Washington plays an idealistic defense attorney whose beliefs are tested when he joins a new law firm.

The Oscar winner says making the film did not make him more cynical about the justice system and, when asked about the prison-industrial complex, the “Malcolm X” star offered a surprising take.

“It starts at the home,” he told reporters at the film’s downtown New York premiere. “It starts at home.”

When prodded to expand on his answer, the 62-year-old Mount Vernon native replied: “It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure.

“So you know I can’t blame the system,” he continued. “It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them.”

Washington came into the project with an insider’s edge on writer-director Dan Gilroy; he spars at the same gym as Jake Gyllenhaal, who starred in Gilroy’s critically acclaimed 2014 film “Nightcrawler,” and the actor gave Washington a full briefing on Gilroy.

“I got to learn a little bit about Dan in advance, and to see the great collaboration they had together,” Washington explained. “So it was easy, it was seamless and it was invigorating.”

(Washington declined to answer questions as to whether he or Gyllenhaal would win in the boxing ring).

The Oscar winner has played a lawyer before (“Philadelphia”), but his reasons for taking on this role weren’t so much because he wanted to return to a courtroom.

“It really didn’t have much to do with that,” he said. “It was just that Dan wrote a good script, a good story, the guy happened to be a lawyer. Law wasn’t the thing that attracted me to the story.”

Roman Israel — a legal savant — is certainly a departure for the actor. Washington told the Daily News that he based the character’s eccentricities on those of a friend’s son who is on the autism spectrum.

“He knew all the laws and everything, so I did a lot of research on Asperger’s, and the spectrum, and went in that direction,” he revealed.

Washington says he is not worrying about what his fans will make of this film.

“I just do what I do,” the “Training Day” star said. “I can’t be concerned. I don’t know what they’re going to think, so that’s not something that comes into my head. . . . If it’s something I’m interested in, then I do it if I can, and we’ll find out what they think about it.”

Denzel Washington says don't blame the prison system

:mjpls:

The red parts are what's wrong with this article.
Media gon' media.

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
So we are to believe that black women are solely responsible for the fact that most black children grow up without fathers in the household?
No, its the lack of parental guidance PERIOD. Dont start this tit for tat, finger pointing bm vs bw bullshyt. You have these second childhood ass men and women out here creating kids leaving the streets to raise em....so they become prison food. Men need to man up and handle their business and women need to quit opening their legs for men who refuse to do so.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Get the fukk out of here. You nikkas in here talking like 99% of black men in jail are in there because of police corruption.

You can look on social media or listen to music to see most of these nikkas is up to no good

I wonder if a cac had said what Denzel said would y'all still agree? :jbhmm:

This thread is exposig y'all.

@BmoreGorilla this thread is a goldmine.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
If nikkas would look at what he said logically rather than emotionally, they would see he pretty much spoke facts. Yes, the system is stacked against us and is unfair, but lets not act like these nikkas wilding out here are victims :francis:
I mean, you have people out here screaming free nikkas who were running around selling poison to, robbing and killing other blacks. Enough fukking said, a lot of these nikkas just hand their own asses to the system :francis:

nikka they wanna feel like a man, what you know about being poor and being told you ain't shyt? What you know about taking orders from women all day and nikkas ain' fukking with you cuz you look like a bum? What you know about finally getting right and being told to marry that 35 year old with 3 kids cuz she loves the Lord? nikka you know nothing.

These white dudes are men from birth.

Denzel is speaking mostly nonsense without real evidence but it sounds Good to you nikkas who clear 80k and always dated.

What you think rap music, liquor and hanging with the boys do? Compare that to living with mom and have you order you around all day. If your call you you'll be at the strip club instead of being home with mom.

You know nothing, yall far from dudes who know yall are just suburban kids who watch too much tv and listen to bullshyt.

A man wanna feel like a man. I was 35 making 12 a hour going downtown and being treated like shyt cuz how I look. Middle age darkskin poor man, even these woke sisters were shytting on me. I finally started a career over 40.

And I'm proud of myself cuz I could have easily ran up on you bytch ass nikkas and took you with me to another reality.

I'm rewarded with old bytches criticizing me for not wanting they old ass friends with 20 year old kids, I'm close to grabbing cindy and marrying that bytch and bowing out of this black shyt, you nikkas are as clueless and foolish as they come

You seperate from people who don' look like you, then cry fake tears when trayvon catches a bullet to the chest, 3 weeks later you back criticizing poor folks again.

Yall love white people plain and simple.

You don't know how it feels to be a poor black grown ass man fighting to be respecte and having to battle insecurities of how you turned out.

Praying to GOD to help you get life together.

But you quick to criticize.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
So we admit the system is corrupt but great parenting will remedy our struggles. :francis:This line of thinking makes no logical sense.

It's like making cars out of stronger metal to reduce car crashes on a road with no traffic lights. We arent the problem.....we get jammed up even if we're focused on staying straight. The system is rigged.

I'm really just starting to write anyone off that reverts everything back to respectability politics and "Meek shouldn't have violated his probation" as a c00n, plain and simple.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Now what if some cop planted drugs on you? What if officer George Zimmerman is following you home one night? What if you're convicted of a murder you didn't commit because he looked like another black man or you had the same nickname as him, and 30 years go by before the Innocence Project is on your case? Having a father in the household is guaranteed to prevent any of this stuff from happening to you?

They seem to forgot the point of not having your own economy.

Kuro

Tru grit
Daps
do black people make it "easy" for them or does amerikkka make it hard for black people????:jbhmm:...yesterday i watched american made about the cia and dea letting a cracka smuggle coke into the states and today i see denzel say he dont blame the system for mass incarceration of black folks...