Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Who said it did? See how you have to create a straw man to juxtapose your bullshyt against? Nobody has said that the system being racist against us absolves us from all responsibility. The point of contention here is Denzel's "don't blame the system.....it starts at home" comment. You can't ride the fence. You can't acknowledge that the system oppresses us then claim to agree with Denzel. Denzel isn't acknowledging that the system is responsible for fukking up the black home. He's as if the description of the black family isn't caused by systematic white racism.

Why not? Yes, the damage is done, but it is up to the new generations to break the cycle of dysfunctional behavior (ie Thots having illegitimate seeds and the jackasses that leave them).

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Only c00ns found any truth in Cosby's speech. Did you even hear it? Do I need to post quotes from it? :pachaha:

Black people need to stay the fukk on code and stop denigrating our own people in the white man's media.
100% agree. It's one thing to have this discussion in a barbershop full of black people or in a black household, but if you're Denzel Washington doing an official interview that's on the record, you gotta know how you're going to sound talking about "its not the system, it's black people".

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
System is messed up, but that still doesn't relieve folks from family obligations.

...and I dont think the wise ones in this thread are in disagreement. but that statement is wrong unless it was paraphrased. "dont blame the prison system...."

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Only c00ns found any truth in Cosby's speech. Did you even hear it? Do I need to post quotes from it?

Black people need to stay the fukk on code and stop denigrating our own people in the white man's media.

We all know what he said, it was a speech from 2004, Michael Dyson wrote a book about it, and here we are talking about it now :pachaha:

Of all the speeches Farrakhan, sharpton and Jesse has made, none were as impactful or caused as much debate/discussion as cosby’s - give that speech its props :sas1:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
100% agree. It's one thing to have this discussion in a barbershop full of black people or in a black household, but if you're Denzel Washington doing an official interview that's on the record, you gotta know how you're going to sound talking about "its not the system, it's black people".

again, I am not accusing Denzel of c00nery but if this is somehow interpreted at that by other blacks then :hubie:

but for some reason those photos attached to the article just gives off the wrong vibe subliminally :mjpls:

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
Salute to Denzel.... Spoke truth!!! I posted here several times.... If my father was absent...i would be in jail and broke!!! My pops the single most important person in my life.... Literally gave me all the tools and knowledge to succeed.... Im 22 doing better than most old heads I know - and it's all because of my OG... Im forever grateful for my people... Children are the future...they deserve ALL the tools necessary to succeed and beat the system... Its MANDATORY... Not an option...... If my pops decided to have kids before he was ready, I'd probably be fukked.

Chubbs

History Remembers Kings
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
“You want to know what this was really all about?” he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56f16a0ae4b03a640a6bbda

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We all know what he said, it was a speech from 2004, Michael Dyson wrote a book about it, and here we are talking about it now :pachaha:

Of all the speeches Farrakhan, sharpton and Jesse has made, none were as impactful or caused as much debate/discussion as cosby’s - give that speech its props :sas1:

then you obviously havent heard many speeches from him. :rudy:

impactful to whom?

you exposing yourself :mjpls:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
The system is why many blacks are forced to be criminals in the first place. Check the unemployment rates for young black men in major cities. It's disheartening how stupid you people are. It's a reality check.
Black criminals do not make up even one percent of black people in America and they also do not contribute 2 sustaining black people economically in America.

No one is forcing anyone to be a criminal in America.

The image of the honorable Criminal Who commit crime just to feed his family makes up an even smaller percentage of career criminals. Criminals are largely predatory and selfish people.
High school diploma and certs talkin. EATIN

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Salute to Denzel.... Spoke truth!!! I posted here several times.... If my father was absent...i would be in jail and broke!!! My pops the single most important person in my life.... Literally gave me all the tools and knowledge to succeed.... Im 22 doing better than most old heads I know - and it's all because of my OG... Im forever grateful for my people... Children are the future...they deserve ALL the tools necessary to succeed and beat the system... Its MANDATORY... Not an option...... If my pops decided to have kids before he was ready, I'd probably be fukked.
Now what if some cop planted drugs on you? What if officer George Zimmerman is following you home one night? What if you're convicted of a murder you didn't commit because he looked like another black man or you had the same nickname as him, and 30 years go by before the Innocence Project is on your case? Having a father in the household is guaranteed to prevent any of this stuff from happening to you?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
then you obviously havent heard many speeches from him.

impactful to whom?

you exposing yourself

Farrakhan is a great man and though I’m not in the nation, I do read the final call often

But if you say “cosby pound cake speech” most of us know what you’re talking about. Whether you agreed or disagreed.

Farrakhan can’t say this. He reiterates what many of our community already knows or believes. Cosby spoke on something the gatekeepers of blackness had avoided speaking on for decades

This is why Jesse was on that stage bawling like a newborn during that speech too :coffee:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Denzel is an actor. He reads a script and recites those lines on film, getting paid very well for it. I commend him for his work, films that I enjoy very much. But, he did what maybe a handful of blacks are able to do in any given generation. That's not making "it through the system despite the odds." Making it through the system is waking up in hellish surroundings, applying yourself to the books, staying focused, and achieving great success - business/job, family, children, etc. I don't compare what Denzel achieved with the true winners of black society. So, as detached as he is from actual black experience, his opinion is kind of irrelevant.
Of course you wouldn't look at his success because people like you stay looking for a way to discredit folks. Ole he didn't come from the super bottom so it isn't relevant as nikkas I tell ya. Also its only a handful of people period regardless of race about to do much in this world so hell is your point? Just say you're a hater instead of making up these bullshyt ways dude didn't make it.