Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Its not just "at home" :scust:
While parental guidance is key to staying out of the mass-incarceration system, it won't prevent it, not by a long shot.
The targeting of Black, Native and Latino (especially Black) communities for small-scale crimes did what it was supposed to.
If you think all those guys who did football numbers running base in the 80s were fatherless or were all raised horribly, I've got some Saudi oil I can sell you.

They don't wanna hear this

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Black people have always had the worst access to health care aka the system :jbhmm:

Could that be why users self medicate through illegal means :ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

deeznutzz

speaking truth #antic00ns
Daps
majority of black men in prison are there because of the white man and the consequences/after effects of racism, segregation etc.

problem is we can’t keep using that as an excuse to KEEP fukking up and continuing to make bad choices

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so you think the justice system is fair to black people???
He never said it was fair. That "if he doesn't have a father.. he'll find one' slipped over y'all head.

Are oversentancing of black men outrages? Absolutely.

I think he was trying to say ...if our youth had better guidance & aspirations , they wouldn't be led down the justice system tryna find a father figure.

Now if you wanna go into other reason why our young men at times go left....That's another story.

I see both ends....having family that been in jail. My pops stayed in & out

To act like every breh in jail is due to the poor justice system is disingenuous.....to act like every breh who get caught up is due to a bad family environment & not due to WS that has kept that same family impoverished for generations. Which has now led him to selling dope etc isn' right either.

Alot of times imo....we get too caught up on one side without being bias.

Any fool tryna call Denzel out his name is a clown.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Ok and it’s even worse for black folks
There's a lot of people here with brown skin that made it. Probably a bunch of them doing way better than me. I'm saying that victim shyt only goes so far. At some point you have to do whatever it takes to not be a victim. Granted if you start with a handicap it makes it harder but once you become a victim that means you have no control over what happened.

That's what I mean when I say Denzel is right and he's wrong. There's a system out to get you but the odds of you becoming a victim because of it involve you and your actions too. Some of it is circumstance but even then your personal focus has to be on what you can do to avoid it rather than the system that you don't control being against you.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Well the system is the reason for the problem though :francis:

And this idea that there is no parental guidance is wrong

WS sets the environment. We still have individual choices to make. Let’s apply that argument elsewhere. Radical Islam, America committing mass genocide in the Middle East, high socio-economic stratification and lack of opportunity and available women turns young men to terrorist groups. All those causes set the ENVIRONMENT for terrorist groups to flourish. When a young kid from Saudi blows up a train station, is he not the person committing mass murder or is all the causes that led him there at fault? Does he not have ownership over his life and choices to not kill people or do we say “cacs made him do it” :troll:

Ringmaster

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Our individual lives start in the home.

The system started and was established before we were even fukking born. :francis:

I hate when black people, through luck, circumstances, opportunity, and sometimes tap dancing manage to avoid the pitfalls in the system, get a little change in their pocket, and then start talking that respectability politics shyt. :camby:

Reminds me of when Cosby got on his old man sh*t and started blaming "the poor people" for all of the problems in the Black Comunity