Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
No.....HELL NO IT ISN'T..

And we as black folks seem to forget that...

But we also have So many stupid young folks out here taking PENITENTIARY RISKS cause they DONT wanna live a regular lifestyle (work a job ..raise a family) ....

Cause they so attracted to street life cause it's a life of no accountability

Cause THEY HAD NO REAL FATHERS OR OGs in Thier life

Or no structure period

Then wanna CRY when the "Man's lock they black azz up cause they was too busy thuggingn and drugging

I dated a 39 year old women whose oldest son is in Rahway prison right now in Jersey..and the other one is about to do time in Georgia....

And I BLAME HER...both they daddies was in and out of prison.......

So Denzel is right it starts at home

As parents u need to do everything but can to protect your child from falling victim to the system

But NOT every black person in jail has been the victim of a corrupt cop

Thier is a subculture of black people who simply see jail as a right of passage

I use to oversee a group of temp workers on a job site...

And during lunch heard them all share Thier street heists and jail stories ...

It was sad....cause not only they took delight in what they did

They all shared one common factor

They had NO FAMILY STRUCTURE...

Cause most of Thier antics and behaviour was co-signed by Thier MAMA

Corey Holcomb said it best...

"It's the OFFSPRING OF RATCHET CLUB BYATCHES FROM THE 90s that are causing HAVOC on the streets of CHICAGO!!"

Y'all, always trying to call someone a c00n and we all know Denzel is far from being one. As black people, we are not a monolith. We all think differently about why our community suffers. He's right to a certain extent and I think the system takes advantage of those who don't have that proper parental or familial background. There are some black people with great family backgrounds that slip through the cracks, but for the most part, those who are unfairly treated by the system come from broken backgrounds.

all great statements

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC

I noticed their is a tendency to dismiss macro data/historical context and hinge arguments on anecdotal evidence and personal experiences. The obvious problem with doing that is it can easily lead to confirmation bias, in which you co-sign and espouse flawed arguments based on what you want to believe and hear.

I can be upset with the decisions of my family members and members of my community in the South Bronx and still acknowledge that systemically they face a greater downside risk based on their decisions in comparison to their non-black counterparts. Does that make the bad decisions "right" on the moral/efficiency spectrum?No. But I would hope a forum filled with Black people could see that is highly problematic that their punishment and subsequent domino effect is unfortunately unique.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps

/thread.

I mean come on anybody who knows Black history know why prisons are full of black people. It's not ALL because poor parenting (that does not mean you deserve slavery as punishment for a crime!!) its because racist want us all dead or in jail (slaves). It's not complex.

Once you understand Slavery never ended you wont be out here saying dumb shyt like the folks in Hollyweird.

I'm not listening to anything from Hollyweird folk when it comes to Black issues period.

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
Boy STFU I am a PARENT

your non Puzzy getting azz has yet to experience life off this board....

I know damn well the benifit of having a father figure and OGs in your life...

My pops and Older Gods from the Nation of Islam played a big role in my life....

And I've become a responsible black man cause I have structure...

You have a problem with DENZEL statement cause you can't identify with it cause you were raised to be an UNDERACHIEVER who has a problem being himself......

And decided to create a Character to live vicariously through because you ain't shyt...yo daddy wasn't shyt and it goes back to your ain't shyt mama making bad decisions in life ..

Like giving birth to your Illogical thinking azz........

Yes we have a system against us..

But that don't mean you stop acting responsible......

You better get yo mind right...and stop all this HYPOCRITICAL HOTEP NONSENSE

AND BE A MAN :ufdup:

Great statement...repped

Daps
I have black relatives who were alive in the 30s and 40s. Crime was rampant amongst black people because if you killed another black person, there were little to no repercussions.

These same relatives are college-educated, raised by intelligent college-educated parents, and came from environments where dysfunction was everywhere. In fact, you had a startling amalgamation of criminality, racism, education, murder, drugs, empowerment, religion, and promiscuity in the black community.

People tend to oversimplify shyt. It wasn't too much different then than it is now. In fact, it was worse.

Edit: In fact, the only main difference was segregation. If you were black, you were taught by blacks, bought from blacks. Education and business in the black community took a turn for the worse after desegregation.

Shyt was really a Tale of Two Cities, "the best of times and the worst of times"...kinda like now.

So, are you saying black people are naturally terrible? It sounds like that's whst you're saying? All groups have internal conflicts.

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
At some point you have to stop being a victim.

We are victims of intentional, systemic oppression. We should recognize and do all we can to avoid this trap. Not run blind, suicide missions into it. Which is what we are doing. We're beating their fist with our face.

That's the point that it starts at home.

In a fight you can't have the mimdset "I'm going to beat this mans fist to death with my face".

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
cacs and old ass nikkas love these threads:manny:

rented skj talking a lot of talk in this thread talking about "Im a parent" yet this nikka is about 50 yrs old and makes multiple threads a day about how all he does is chase 20 year old stirpper thots all day and fukks chicks who are married to other black men and brags about it.

Where ya kids at when u out here sponsoring whores and being a side nikka to a married chick :gucci::mjgrin:

kovi

All Star
Daps
Nothing is ever these thot single moms and their wild ass children’s faults. :mjlol:

Brehs we know the system fukked us, but what are we doing in our end: giving them what they want.

Keep making excuses for tho. I see what he’s saying everyday and it’s sad.

luciddreamer

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The sleepless city
I agree with this for the most part. I never did anything that would've got me in jail or any big trouble so I disagree with that part of your post regarding stupid stuff even with strict parents. Everything else I can rock with.

I hear you, but this is kind of my point, not everybody's experience and actions in life are the same.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
#ENDSLAVEY

GET RID OF THE 13TH AMENDMENT EXCEPTION CLAUSE (THAT MEANS WE HAVE TO PUT OUR FOLKS IN OFFICE)

STOP LISTENING TO HOLLYWIERD FOLK.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
First of all, we both know those "news" stories are just propaganda fed to the masses to continue cementing in the minds of the public the image of black people being prone to criminality. It's a facet of the very system that puts our men in the prisons. I won't say our children are destined to fail, but they're certainly going to face far more obstacles than their white peers, as has been the life of black men and women since we were "emancipated." The system is designed to ensure we fail. But that doesn't mean we stop procreating.

Would you say "it's propaganda" to the mother who is burying her son? It's not propaganda. We're talking about victims of violence, often murder. Why wouldn't murder make the news? To say it's propaganda is to be the proverbial ostrich with it's head in the sand.

I can agree with you that not all of our children are destined to fail, but there's enough of them that will so at a certain point I'm not as uncomfortable with generalities on this subject. To your point about the system being designed to ensure failure, if we know that then why would we continue to feed it with our progeny? To illustrate look at the following stances and let me know which one stands out to you as not making sense in the context of Coli logic.

The military: Why would you fight for a country that has historically oppressed us and continues to do so today?

Corporate America: Why would you work for and seek a career in a system designed to exploit us?

Politics: Why would you support a corrupt system by voting for the very people who seek to keep us marginalized?

Interracial Relationships: Why would get involved in a relationship with your oppressor and dilute your bloodline through miscegenation?

The Prison Industrial Complex in America: Lower class Black people should continue their birthrate if not increase it because who knows? Maybe the next inspirational leader will arise?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Hard for the millions of black men who have been caught up the racist system of mass incarceration to get married and have kids don't you think? You idiots don't realize just how destructive mass incarceration has been to the black family. Not only has it literally taken millions of black men off of the streets, it has also prevented millions more black men from being able to be productive citizens. Once you're in the system and classified as a criminal that significantly restricts your options as far as employment. The system is rigged to keep black men from being able to support families. Why you people are pretending as if it's not is beyond me.

fam. this doesn't have a thing to do with what I said

I was speaking on our communities in the early 20th century.
are you arguing that america was LESS racist in the 1920's? during jim crow? :jbhmm:

obviously later on with lyndon B johnson it switched our whole shyt up and we can discuss that if you like.

but make no mistake about it, there was a point in time when the black family unit was extremely tight.

so again - how do you cats that disagree with denzel explain this?

Daps
QUOTE="Aswad, post: 27296074, member: 2931"]Would you say "it's propaganda" to the mother who is burying her son? It's not propaganda. We're talking about victims of violence, often murder. Why wouldn't murder make the news? To say it's propaganda is to be the proverbial ostrich with it's head in the sand.

I can agree with you that not all of our children are destined to fail, but there's enough of them that will so at a certain point I'm not as uncomfortable with generalities on this subject. To your point about the system being designed to ensure failure, if we know that then why would we continue to feed it with our progeny? To illustrate look at the following stances and let me know which one stands out to you as not making sense in the context of Coli logic.

The military: Why would you fight for a country that has historically oppressed us and continues to do so today?

Corporate America: Why would you work for and seek a career in a system designed to exploit us?

Politics: Why would you support a corrupt system by voting for the very people who seek to keep us marginalized?

Interracial Relationships: Why would get involved in a relationship with your oppressor and dilute your bloodline through miscegenation?

The Prison Industrial Complex in America: Lower class Black people should continue their birthrate if not increase it because who knows? Maybe the next inspirational leader will arise?[/QUOTE]

You know damn well that black criminality is entertainment for white America, and it's marketed through the nightly news and our depictions on television and the big screen. There is just as much if not more violence by whites, but it doesn't make the news, and that's because they are on code and use the media to reinforce the idea of criminality being something that is inherent in us.