Dentist just told me I need a deep cleaning on the full mouth

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Use hydrogen peroxide and water as mouthwash daily it should help...and definitely get that procedure done.
I can vouch for hydrogen peroxide. I swish 20 min in the morning after brushing to replace mouthwash. Electric toothbrush and floss everyday with the little green premade ones.

Been blessed to not have teeth issues yet.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
A lot of posts in here but I'll try to bring some clarity. There are regular old cleanings and they are deep cleanings. Deep cleanings are tied to a diagnosis of periodontitis while regular cleanings are linked to a diagnosis of gingivitis. The difference between the two is that in periodontitis there is destruction of bone and other important tissues that connect your gums to your teeth.

Now, usually with periodontitis there is a build of calculus sub-gingivaly (the area between your teeth and under the gums. What the dentist or hygienist will do is go that area and make it scrape up the calculus (hardened plaque) and diseased tooth tissue. This is important because as long as both of these things stay there, you will continue to have bone loss. The reason being because your body's immune system is waging a war against these two things and destroying your own tissue in the process. What will happen is the dentist or hygienist will get you numb and then proceed to an Sc/RP (Scaling and root planing). Going forward I recommend to brush twice a day, floss and go in for constant check-ups because once you have periodontitis you are always at risk for it re-occuring.

Now let's say you don't do that. What will happen. Well people lost teeth mainly 3 ways. Trauma, cavities that make the tooth unrestorable and periodontal disease. Focusing on periodontal disease, what happens is that the tissues and structures in your mouth become so broken down that your teeth become very loose. And eventually will have to be extracted if you want to have a mouth that is healthy.

I've had patient's come in where I could literally just extract 10-14 teeth in like 5 minutes because hey were so loose. You don't want this to be you.
no-gum-disease-xrays.x76648.jpg

This is a good example of a healthy mouth. Do you notice the height of the bone?
9dbe67_218bf13ac1e14dac80bada4a012b4654~mv2.gif

This is an example of an unhealthy mouth. Look at the bone loss. Also look at the sides of the teeth. The gif has arrows that point to something called calculus. This is what the deep cleaning is for. They will go and remove that.
What over the counter products do you think are the best for toothpaste, mouthwash and teeth whitening?

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
What over the counter products do you think are the best for toothpaste, mouthwash and teeth whitening?

Use products with fluoride. Don't listen to the conspiracy nuts. Look up the studies on communities with fluoridated water vs non Fluor water and the cavity rate. As far as whitening you can try the strips. Your best bet is spending the 400 at an office and getting zoom. You get instant results. Don't use baking soda or peroxide frequently that will erode your teeth/cause the soft tissue to slough like a snake. But to prevent bone loss/tarter buildup underneath your gums you gotta floss. Brushing and rinsing can only do so much

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
You had a shytty hygienist than

I think it's more my fault. I hadn't been in a long time, due to tending to other health shyt. They also went under the gums with the antibiotics. I probably had it worse than average. But, even the probe beforehand hurt like a bytch, shot or no shot.

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps
Will brushing your teeth with a power brush frequently reduce your enamel thickness?

yyy

All Star
Daps
Those are some good questions. So let's take it one by one.

Best toothpaste. The answer is that it depends. What do you want from your toothpaste? At the very least you I'd argue that you need to be using fluoridated toothpaste because it remineralizes your teeth. Apart from that if you have any sensitivity issues, I'd recommend Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief. After that I really think the difference is negligible to be honest. I know there's a ton of different toothpaste brands out there, but I haven't read one scholarly article or seen any study that really proves that one is distinctly the best. And, to be honest, most of them have the same base ingredients with only small differences.

Regrading mouthwash I'd say it depends. If you have a history of cavities, I'd use a fluoridated mouth wash like ACT. These days I like to recommend Listerine Total Care because it has both fluoride, which protects your teeth, and ingredients that fight gum disease.

Regarding teeth whitening, I need to look into it more because I'm sure there are a ton of services that I don't even know a lot about. I do know patients that have gotten Zoom Whitening done though, and they are happy.

yyy

All Star
Daps
Will brushing your teeth with a power brush frequently reduce your enamel thickness?
Good question. I'd recommend just brushing twice a day. The main thing you want to focus on when brushing is not using a lot of force. I haven't seen any studies comparing the use of a power (I'm assuming you mean electric) toothbrush to a non-electric toothbrush interns of tooth abrasion but over brushing has limited benefit so I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, tooth abrasion is real. So if anyone's reading this, please don't use a lot of force when you brush. It will remove enamel from your teeth and potentially cause major issues in the long run...
gum-recession-242x300.jpg

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
the average level the bone height should be around you teeth is 3mm from your gum line. 4-5 is slight loss. Anything over that is definite bone loss. But you shouldn’t have gotten arrestin on any tooth with a probe depth below 5. Find a new dentist they taxed you
All 2’s and 3’s :blessed:

But I got a gang of cavities, soft enamel for the L :francis:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I am not suprised as some people only brush once a day and they do not brush for 3 minutes

Do you recommend brehs?
51Ry5ng0zAL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Yes, A waterpik is the best investment you can make for your teeth. I bought one 3 years ago and have never needed a deep cleaning since, I just get the regular maintenance from the dentist now.

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
Sometimes you really need a deep cleaning and sometimes you don't. Insurance usually doesn't cover it so they can charge you more money.