Deadline: Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
NONE of yall nikkaz would agree to go from 5 to 50.

And it's not like they Disney didn't eat and benefit off having Spidey in CW, IW, and Endgame. :stopitslime:
And If I'm remembering correctly Disney gets damn near ALL the merchandise profit...

So Disney get half of the movie money plus all the damn toys and clothing based off the movie money

These nikkas lost their mind and that's why Sony leaked this shyt out

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
A lot of y'all seem to think that The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 were some sort of flops when they weren't.
Aside from TASM 2 getting middling critical reviews those films were successful.
Now moving forward they won't be as successful as they would have been with the MCU connection but I doubt they will be flops.

They made bank but they were trash, to the extent that they were already looking to reboot the character AGAIN.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
And it's not like they Disney didn't eat and benefit off having Spidey in CW, IW, and Endgame. :stopitslime:

That's not the same man.

Look at it like this. Marvel has an entire cinematic universe. Even more so now, due to the Fox deal.

Sony has....Spider-Man and it's connected characters. And they haven't used any of them, aside from Venom.

Sony has far more to gain from a partnership with the MCU, than vice versa.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
They made bank but they were trash, to the extent that they were already looking to reboot the character AGAIN.

I wouldn't say they were trash but they didn't do what Sony wanted. Sony themselves said that in those leaked emails. Which is what led to the Marvel deal in the first place.

I feel like most of the people in this thread forgot those emails leaked. Where Sony was pretty much like "we don't know what to do with Spider-Man". But now people want Sony to have full control over the character....again.
It's like....ok man. :gucci:

Fred.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The first one was pretty well received by critics and audiences. The second was indeed ass.
But moving forward Sony has the good will of an established actor in the role so as long as they don't make utter bullshyt I don't see how this ends up being bad for Sony in the long run.

It sucks for fans but that's about it.

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
A negotiation is a back and forth, people. No company throws out their best offer first, that’s why you negotiate. We all know Spider-Man makes bank, but quality of product is what serves you in the long run.
Sony should’ve laughed and then threw a counter offer, not walk away from the table as if Marvel/Disney didn’t just get the X-Men, Fantastic 4 back.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gonna regress back to the mean. People saw that shytty Venom movie just cause it’s the first Venom movie. People won’t flock to the next one like that.
People like that Venom movie bruh

Shocked me too but :manny:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
NONE of yall nikkaz would agree to go from 5 to 50.

The math isn't quite 5 to 50.

Disney is asking to co-finance the films, so Sony wouldn't have to put up 100% of the marketing and production budgets going forward. And that's a lot of money.

Far From Home had the largest promo campaign in history, spending almost $300 million on marketing.

‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Shatters Industry Records With $288M Promo Campaign – Deadline

That's on top of the $160 million on production budget. So they nearly spent half a billion just getting the damn film in the theater.

Those costs would presumably be split going forward.

Hollywood accounting is intentionally fuzzy so there's no way to know for sure what the numbers would look like, but even if Sony pulled in less overall with the co-financing, it wouldn't be a straight 95% of the profit to 50%.

I think the bigger holdup is that Disney wanted to include all of the future Spidey/Sony projects, including Venon. I think Sony is afraid of Disney chipping away at their properties and slowly taking control of them.

In either event, Sony still should have went to the negotiation table with a counter offer. Perhaps asking to receive a cut of the merchandising.

I don't think its over though. Bad publicity has a way of forcing their hand.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Disney got really greedy but Sony could have at least counter offered just as a good faith measurement. The fact that they didn't shows they want out.

I'm not watching any non Marvel Studios live action Spiderman movies.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
A lot of y'all seem to think that The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 were some sort of flops when they weren't.
Aside from TASM 2 getting middling critical reviews those films were successful.
Now moving forward they won't be as successful as they would have been with the MCU connection but I doubt they will be flops.

ASM2 wasn't very successful or they wouldn't have joined in the Marvel deal.

Mediocre reviews, had a budget some reports say was close to $300M, had the worst box office of any Spider-Man movie, and made like $80M less domestically with inflation than the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.