Deadline: Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
when you adjust for inflation even the amazing spiderman is close to far from home

giving them life :dead:

a solo spidey movie is doing a billion regardless today

pair him with venom and :wow:

marvel is going to have to come back to the table begging because they only have 2 true billion dollar properties currently: thor and BP

Captain Marvel did a billion

Jefe Blanco

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Doesn’t Sony have to put out a Spidey film every two years just to keep the film rights? Think I read that somewhere but if so they need to hustle to get part 3 out..

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Doesn’t Sony have to put out a Spidey film every two years just to keep the film rights? Think I read that somewhere but if so they need to hustle to get part 3 out..

I believe the deal was they have to release a movie once every 5 years or they lose the rights. The rights reset after every movie so Sony has till 2024 to make Spidey 3 (They won't wait that long though). This is a standard deal because a movie turn around is 2-3 years back in the day. This is why Blade and Ghostrider went back to Marvel because there hasn't been a movie in years for both franchises. Universal has the rights to a Hulk Solo movie as well right now which is why he's only been in The Avengers and other peoples movies in the MCU recently since "Incredible Hulk"..

Spidey 02
Spidey 2 04 (2 Years)
Spidey 3 07 (3 Years)
TASM 12 (5 Years)
TASM2 14 (2 Years)
S Homecming 17 (3 Years)
Venom/Spidey verse 18 (1 Year)
S FFhome: 19 (1 Year)

Last edited:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Marvel to SONY rules from when they sold the rights..

This rather controversial rule is actually something Marvel specified when Sony Pictures purchased the film rights to Spider-Man. You see, while Sony does technically have full control of the web-slinger, there are indeed some things they can't do, and that means ensuring that he's a white male who "is not a homosexual (unless Marvel has portrayed that alter ego as a homosexual)."

His parents must always be absent from his childhood, he must be bitten by a spider, and the black costume has to be a Symbiote and not a suit of his own design. Also, Spidey "does not torture; does not kill in defense of self or others; does not use foul language beyond PG-13; does not smoke tobacco; does not sell/distribute illegal drugs; does not abuse alcohol; does not have sex before the age of 16; does not have sex with anyone below the age of 16."

I think those last few probably go without saying, but it's good to know Spidey can't be a sex offender!

Other stuff

Marvel Studios' Spider-Man reboot put the wall-crawler straight back into high school, but Sony gave some serious thought to having Peter Parker grow up and enter the adult world from the start.

They wanted to skip the origin story and kick things off with a version of the character "juggling with adult issues." Sony noted that, "He’s done so in the comics for decades, and kids still found this fun to read." It also sounded like they would have portrayed him as a science teacher in a high school.

Many fans would love to see an older version of the wall-crawler on the big screen, but this idea was ultimately scrapped when Kevin Feige decided to introduce Spidey as an inexperienced hero.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

I think every 5 years.

I believe the deal was they have to release a movie once every 5 years or they lose the rights. The rights reset after every movie so Sony has till 2024 to make Spidey 3 (They won't wait that long though). This is a standard deal because a movie turn around is 2-3 years back in the day. This is why Blade and Ghostrider went back to Marvel because there hasn't been a movie in years for both franchises. Universal still owns the rights to a Hulk Solo movie as well right now which is why he's only been in The Avengers and other peoples movies in the MCU.

Spidey 02
Spidey 2 04 (2 Years)
Spidey 3 07 (3 Years)
TASM 12 (5 Years)
TASM2 14 (2 Years)
S Homecming 17 (3 Years)
Venom/Spidey verse 18 (1 Year)
S FFhome: 19 (1 Year)

The Marvel collabos don't count toward the retention of the rights which is why they want to do some world building of their own.

There's a 4 year gap between TASM2 and Venom, if they hadn't hurried and put that trash out the rights would have gone back to Marvel. They were rumored to try and squeeze an Aunt May movie in there as a stop gap til they could figure out what to do with Spider-man.

Disney doesn't deserve 50% of everything...but you wanna hype up your Venom movie, have people publicly imply it's connected, want to cross over our franchises to help yours get off the ground but don't want me to help make the continuity actually work?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
:mjlol:

Cats just making shyt up now. The first two might not hold up today, but those movies were loved when they came out and still are. Both made a shyt ton of money and got love from critics, especially the 2nd one which was probably considered the best comic book movie until The Dark Knight came out.
fukk this revision history the first 3 spider man movies almost buried the comic book live action movie genre

They were not loved. Damn near boo’d. I was in high school when they came out everyone hated these movies in my age group

Iron man and batman saved the genre. This the same forum that thinks Wu Tang was bigger than bone thugs in the 90s despite coming out same time and selling 20 million less records in the same time span :mjlol: i know better than to take anyone opinion here seriously on something i lived and experienced myself

They made $ cause it was a reintroduction to comic book movies with big budget and spider man nAme attached

The movies were trash

Daps
You right. Spider Man was the reason why Captain America 3 did over a billion....even Black brehs that wanted to see BP in a film pales in comparison to people who wanted to see Spidey in a MCU film.

But these People want to re write history instead.

Breh, if you're gonna seriously try and argue that the anticipation of finally seeing Spider-Man join the MCU wasn't a huge push from a promotional standpoint, and thus a financial stimulus to Civi War, than I don't know what to tell you cuz you're just being disingenuous.

It's fukking SPIDER-MAN. MCU films are gonna make bank regardless, but including him in the mix isn't, and wasn't just some ho-hum inclusion without any positive ramifications for people already invested in the MCU franchises or for those late to the party.

Put it like this. The Dream Team in 1992 is going undefeated and smashing competition with or without Jordan on the squad. But he's still Jordan and having him on that team is still an experience for the viewers and for the team as a whole that cannot be overlooked without him.

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
If a future Spiderman film looks good and interesting then I'll be there first week to watch it. I'm not going to boycott or have preconceived thoughts on a movie just because a certain studio produces it or not. If people do that then they're not real fans.
Sony has to basically take a deal even if Disney in the wrong people don’t care and this will affect sony in the long run

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
because of hype for endgame

And in all fairness, one can say “the Hype of Endgame is the reason FFH did a billy” as well.

As THAT movie more that CM tied DIRECTLY from Endgame explaining the aftermath, book ending and concluding the Infinity Saga.

Like they literally heavily marketed as such.

That’s why I hate over playing that “Bu Bu Bu But it tied in...” card cuz and I wish we could all abolish it cuz these are the cans of worms it opens:francis:

Or atleast stop trynna use that reason as a weapon

It’s just an unnecessary way to discredit and dismiss the success on these films

Daps
fukk this revision history the first 3 spider man movies almost buried the comic book live action movie genre

They were not loved. Damn near boo’d. I was in high school when they came out everyone hated these movies in my age group

Iron man and batman saved the genre. This the same forum that thinks Wu Tang was bigger than bone thugs in the 90s despite coming out same time and selling 20 million less records in the same time span :mjlol: i know better than to take anyone opinion here seriously on something i lived and experienced myself

They made $ cause it was a reintroduction to comic book movies with big budget and spider man nAme attached

The movies were trash

If you were in high school when Spider-Man came out, how in the hell could you possibly have any real in-depth perspective about who was bigger between the Wu and Bone Thugs? :russ:

Nobody cares about the opinions of 3rd and 4th graders when grown folks are talking about hip-hop narratives and the quality of the music. :mjlol:

And as somebody who graduated COLLEGE days before the first Spider-Man movie dropped and was in the work force and consuming media on a regular basis, Spider-Man was NOT panned by critics or viewers until Spider-Man 3. And that wasn't until after you had disasters like Daredevil and The Hulk which had soured people on the genre.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:beli:

Spider-Man 2 Movie Review & Film Summary (2004) | Roger Ebert

Now this is what a superhero movie should be. "Spider-Man 2" believes in its story in the same way serious comic readers believe, when the adventures on the page express their own dreams and wishes. It's not camp and it's not nostalgia, it's not wall-to-wall special effects and it's not pickled in angst. It's simply and poignantly a realization that being Spider-Man is a burden that Peter Parker is not entirely willing to bear.

The movie demonstrates what's wrong with a lot of other superhero epics: They focus on the superpowers, and short-change the humans behind them. (Has anyone ever been more boring, for instance, than Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne?)

"Spider-Man 2" is the best superhero movie since the modern genre was launched with "Superman" (1978).

Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man 2 is all you can ask for in summer fun, right from the opener, when Peter, who works part-time delivering pizzas, resorts to Spidey speed to guarantee delivery in twenty-nine minutes. And his big action moments — stopping a bank robbery, halting a runaway train and rescuing Mary Jane by holding up a falling building (“It’s heavy,” he jokes) — will pop your eyes, fry your nerves and keep you laughing. But the film’s distinction is its heart.

CNN.com - Review: 'Spider-Man 2' one for the ages - Jun 29, 2004

Spider-Man 2" is faithful to the spirit of Stan Lee's invention and the Marvel comics that made this action hero so beloved. Thanks to this terrific film, the bar has been set high for Part Three -- scheduled for a theater near you in 2007.

Last edited:

darryl

Superstar
Daps

The movies were trash
Oh so you're one of those people huh... No matter what you think, those movies were loved and still loved worldwide. Despite what your hating ass thinks . Everytime that trilogy is brought up, you have to go out of your way to shyt on it .

darryl

Superstar
Daps
If you were in high school when Spider-Man came out, how in the hell could you possibly have any real in-depth perspective about who was bigger between the Wu and Bone Thugs? :russ:

Nobody cares about the opinions of 3rd and 4th graders when grown folks are talking about hip-hop narratives and the quality of the music. :mjlol:

And as somebody who graduated COLLEGE days before the first Spider-Man movie dropped and was in the work force and consuming media on a regular basis, Spider-Man was NOT panned by critics or viewers until Spider-Man 3. And that wasn't until after you had disasters like Daredevil and The Hulk which had soured people on the genre.
Dude is full of shyt. He's a known hater on here of that trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.