Roleplaying?
raw

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We make our own limits into what's silly, what's stupid, and what is insulting.

I get that, but this really isn't the corner to plant your feet on, breh. Dumb gimmicks aren't new, and will never go away. It's silly to get so worked up over them when even the most serious gimmicks are actually pretty dumb when you think about it. It's like trying to poke holes in most action, sci-fi, or superhero movies. By showing up to watch, you've already accepted that the product's relationship with reality is loose at best.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
I get that, but this really isn't the corner to plant your feet on, breh. Dumb gimmicks aren't new, and will never go away. It's silly to get so worked up over them when even the most serious gimmicks are actually pretty dumb when you think about it. It's like trying to poke holes in most action, sci-fi, or superhero movies. By showing up to watch, you've already accepted that the product's relationship with reality is loose at best.
But we have have our own hill and at some point it stretches and insults our suspension of reality to actually enjoy the Kayfabe world of the show. For some it's Adam Cole's size. For some it's 96 goldust's antics. For some it's the young bucks and general Flippy shyt. For some it's the anonymous GM, or Vikings.

For me, Danhausen is beyond the pale. It's super fukkin corny, and I don't want him on my tv, same as I didn't want Adam rose, don't want Michael Nakazawa. I tolerate 24/7 title silliness, and tolerate Jericho's sillyness, but miss me with this, and hook being a tough guy

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But we have have our own hill and at some point it stretches and insults our suspension of reality to actually enjoy the Kayfabe world of the show. For some it's Adam Cole's size. For some it's 96 goldust's antics. For some it's the young bucks and general Flippy shyt. For some it's the anonymous GM, or Vikings.

For me, Danhausen is beyond the pale. It's super fukkin corny, and I don't want him on my tv, same as I didn't want Adam rose, don't want Michael Nakazawa. I tolerate 24/7 title silliness, and tolerate Jericho's sillyness, but miss me with this, and hook being a tough guy

I'm not trying to say you've got to like it. For example, I don't really get the Danhausen thing, either. But it's really not worth getting so offended by something you could just fast forward through, take a break during, or take any other option to just not watch. If the gimmick doesn't work, dude will get cut, or hidden elsewhere, word to Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Brehs really in here losing their shyt over a gimmick, crying about the sanctity of wrestling and shyt.

Y'all do know we're sitting around talking about choreographed fake fighting, right? There's room for this silly shyt right next to the overly serious shyt. :mjlol:

Seems like the anti-AEW crowd has conveniently blocked out the memories of absurd and corny WWE gimmicks such as Duke the dumpster Drose, Repo Man, The Goon, Mantaur, TL Hopper, Red Rooster, Bastion Booger, Max Moon, Deuce n Domino, Spirit Squad, Paul the fukking pirate Burchill, Isaac Yankem, Damien Demento, Phantasio, Xanta Claus, The Boogeyman, Jillian Hall with the mole, Lord Tensai, the fukking Twerking Bunny, The Highlanders, The dikks, The Matadors, Kerwin White (thank god that gimmick was killed due to Eddie's passing) Shorty G, Retribution, Akira Tozawa as a comedic ninja, Karrion Kross's main roster cameo, and Eugene.

But yea, Danhausen being a comedic low card act who can move merch and has an actual fan following is somehow violating the sanctity of the world of professional wrestling. That's the gimmick that crosses the fukking line.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
Seems like the anti-AEW crowd has conveniently blocked out the memories of absurd and corny WWE gimmicks such as Duke the dumpster Drose, Repo Man, The Goon, Mantaur, TL Hopper, Red Rooster, Bastion Booger, Max Moon, Deuce n Domino, Spirit Squad, Paul the fukking pirate Burchill, Isaac Yankem, Damien Demento, Phantasio, Xanta Claus, The Boogeyman, Jillian Hall with the mole, Lord Tensai, the fukking Twerking Bunny, The Highlanders, The dikks, The Matadors, Kerwin White (thank god that gimmick was killed due to Eddie's passing) Shorty G, Retribution, Akira Tozawa as a comedic ninja, Karrion Kross's main roster cameo, and Eugene.

But yea, Danhausen being a comedic low card act who can move merch and has an actual fan following is somehow violating the sanctity of the world of professional wrestling. That's the gimmick that crosses the fukking line.
That is a ridiculous strawman, we clowned the shyt out of every single one of those in the moment, and some of us stopped watching WWF for a while BECAUSE of those gimmicks in fact. So, yeah, we are gonna shyt on Danhausen too. The difference is ALL OF THEM were met with crickets but aew fans are applauding the corny shyt. THAT is the difference generationally.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I'd assign it as more of a wrestling fan thing, and less of an anti-AEW thing though.

But let's not forget about the undead mortician/Lord of darkness/biker hooligan, and his long lost brother who may or may not have been burned in an accident, who has a split personality disorder. :mjlol:

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
That is a ridiculous strawman, we clowned the shyt out of every single one of those in the moment, and some of us stopped watching WWF for a while BECAUSE of those gimmicks in fact. So, yeah, we are gonna shyt on Danhausen too. The difference is ALL OF THEM were met with crickets but aew fans are applauding the corny shyt. THAT is the difference generationally.

I've stated before in a couple different threads I don't get the popularity of the Danhausen gimmick and I've never seen him in the ring, but he's been able to build up a following on his own and marketed the hell out of himself. Have to give the guy some credit for making it work, especially given everything that's happened over the past 2 years.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
I'd assign it as more of a wrestling fan thing, and less of an anti-AEW thing though.

But let's not forget about the undead mortician/Lord of darkness/biker hooligan, and his long lost brother who may or may not have been burned in an accident, who has a split personality disorder. :mjlol:

the difference is A. those guys were each like 6'5'' 275 lbs so they had a legit physical presence and B. they were booked as the ultimate threats in the company

The issue isn't the spooky aspect of the gimmick, I mean hell they basically lean into that right now with Malakai Black and him turning the lights on and off at will, but because he has a good presence and okay size/physique it works.

Negative reaction to Danhausen is more push-back to how willing AEW seems to embrace that corny/meta/"in on the joke together" type of wrestler that for many fans is a turn off in modern pro wrestling.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

Hey, guy, you should know you can’t argue “whatsboutism” on here because that’s the way these dudes try to deflect. :heh:

Last edited: