Damn, looks like Phil Spencer has officially accepted defeat from Sony. Says Starfield won’t change shyt

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Consoles are sold at cost or at a loss.

You have to buy an xbox and a couple games just for microsoft to break even on your existence.

You buy an xbox and only buy the 4-5 exclusives you like, microsoft has only made like $100 bucks on you over the course of the generation.

If they get you to sign up for gamepass, they make more than that in a year and they didn’t have to sell you any hardware.

The people who are gonna buy an xbox are people who are vested in the xbox ecosystem. Those people are valuable customers. They buy their 3rd party games and digital content on xbox. The people who are vested in another ecosystem are more valuable customers by NOT buying an xbox.

Gamepass bring in $1 billion in cash last quarter, might now be your thing, but lots of people are using it and paying for it.

This may be your greatest spin in history, kudos my brother:bryan:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Why not on ps5, since consoles don't matter and they are seemingly conceding that market to them?

you'd make way more money doing that than the inverse
Microsoft has said they'd be open to bringing gamepass to playstation, sony doesn't want an arguably better service on their console when they're trying to sell their own service.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
how you figure

so many people got gamepass for like a dollar.

and then you have people who probably grab it for a month or two out of the year to play what they want and bush it.

If the goal is to filter people into gamepass they are doing a terrible job. I got a high end laptop, can get a few months for free atm, and still havent bothered because outside of the trash xbox exclusives its a bunch of games that are on sale on steam every other week, or old.

Unless you want to play everything, I'm not seeing the value in GP. this is no stan shyt I'm being completely objective because I game on pc as well.
In that case even if xbox was dropping piff exclusive games, you might cop a console and buy the exclusives on it 2 or 3 times a year and play everything on PS and the rest on PC and the rest on whatever nintendo system.

Which is what 90 percent of people would do IF they decided to get a xbox because MS had such killer exclusives. Basically leaving xbox in 3rd place waring between 3rd and 2nd because we know japan isn't buying the system and then didn't during the 360 era.

So that essentially puts them exactly where they are now, but in a worse spot.

Them focusing on xbox being a ecosystem is smart, until they drop some powerhouse exclusives it's going to be bad. They have a bunch of great to good mid range games but at some point since you have this big beefy console you need to have a triple A game or two that shows that off that is exclusive. BUT just like he said, having those kind of games isn't going to win him the console war like people seem to think it will.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Comparing a videogame consoles exclusives to internet browsers and streaming apps is hilarious. Ya'll in rare form in here.
So are videogames so willy different from all other forms of entertainment that people will purchase multiple 500 dollar devices to do the same thing on?

Let me know

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This may be your greatest spin in history, kudos my brother:bryan:
It’s the truth.

Y’all too stuck on console wars to even have a conversation about the economics of what’s going on.

Sony themselves have said that it’s the CODs and Fortnights that fund the playstation’s existence, not the exclsuives.

If they only had exclusives to sell, the playstation couldn’t exist.

Video games writers have talked about it as well

https://venturebeat.com/games/we-overestimate-the-value-of-the-console-exclusive/#:~:text=‘How can you say exclusives don’t matter?’ I’m,but I think most people overemphasize their value.

People who buy platforms only for exclusives, and only ever buy exclusives, are a poor source of revenue. The customer sees themselves as supporting the platform holder, buying a console that is perceived as expensive and a good batch of games. But relative to company costs and revenue generated from a single customer, these people are low value. A person who vastly prefers Xbox One for whatever reasons but also buys a PlayStation 4 and over the course of seven whole years only buys 10 pieces of software has given Sony very, very little money. It seems like they have supported Sony, but they are a terrible source of revenue because they have not bought into the ecosystem.

But everything has to be console wars with y’all. :smh:

Last edited:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast
Gamecube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One => PS4
PS5

I was never on the PlayStation wave until Microsoft fukked up, and they fukked up royally. As a consumer, Microsoft has constantly shown they have no incentive for me to return to their ecosystem.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
In that case even if xbox was dropping piff exclusive games, you might cop a console and buy the exclusives on it 2 or 3 times a year and play everything on PS and the rest on PC and the rest on whatever nintendo system.

Which is what 90 percent of people would do IF they decided to get a xbox because MS had such killer exclusives. Basically leaving xbox in 3rd place waring between 3rd and 2nd because we know japan isn't buying the system and then didn't during the 360 era.

So that essentially puts them exactly where they are now, but in a worse spot.

Them focusing on xbox being a ecosystem is smart, until they drop some powerhouse exclusives it's going to be bad. They have a bunch of great to good mid range games but at some point since you have this big beefy console you need to have a triple A game or two that shows that off that is exclusive. BUT just like he said, having those kind of games isn't going to win him the console war like people seem to think it will.

the console stan wars shyt on here is all jokes (I hope for everyone else :dead: )

I like to waste money. If xbox had some good games I'd buy one. Hell, I thought about buying one anyway but I simply can't justify it at all. My laptop has a 4080 so I'm pretty sure its more powerful than a xbox anyway. they are in a strange spot because anything they put out can just be played on pc, for 10 dollars a month right. like if they came out with some piff I can just play it anyway. I'm really not getting why anyone would pay a full year of gamepass perpetually. realistically you just pay for it to play the game youre interested in, like getting nflix for a month or two out of the year to catch up on the shows you want.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s the truth.

Y’all too stuck on console wars to even have a conversation about the economics of what’s going on.

Sony themselves have said that it’s the CODs and Fortnights that fund the playstation’s existence, not the exclsuives.

Video games writers have talked about it as well.

https://venturebeat.com/games/we-overestimate-the-value-of-the-console-exclusive/#:~:text=‘How%20can%20you%20say%20exclusives%20don’t%20matter%3F’%20I’m,but%20I%20think%20most%20people%20overemphasize%20their%20value.

They don't see the one two punch that ABK would have been.

It would bolster gamepass
It would bolster income.
It would bolster mobile.
It would have hurt sony ability to use disposable income to make exclusive 3rd party "deals behind the scene"
It would have instantly forced a certain group of people to at least THINK about switching over every single release of games.

So yea it would have pushed things along really quick with their goals.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
It’s the truth.

Video games writers have talked about it as well

https://venturebeat.com/games/we-overestimate-the-value-of-the-console-exclusive/#:~:text=‘How can you say exclusives don’t matter?’ I’m,but I think most people overemphasize their value.

Respectfully, I'm pretty sure you aren't a CFO for any of these gaming companies so you know just as much as us or google about their economics. Can't really be speaking from a position of authority on it. What you're stating isn't really shocking or uncommon knowledge.

Instead of going, wow microsoft make some better games you have embarked on this holy crusade to justify their continued mediocrity. Its fascinating to watch.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast
Gamecube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One => PS4
PS5

I was never on the PlayStation wave until Microsoft fukked up, and they fukked up royally. As a consumer, Microsoft has constantly shown they have no incentive for me to return to their ecosystem.
So you are basically agreeing with what he's saiyng.
People are locked into whatever they are locked into, and the only way that really changes is when said company does something you don't like.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Respectfully, I'm pretty sure you aren't a CFO for any of these gaming companies so you know just as much as us or google about their economics. Can't really be speaking from a position of authority on it. What you're stating isn't really shocking or uncommon knowledge.

Instead of going, wow microsoft make some better games you have embarked on this holy crusade to justify their continued mediocrity. Its fascinating to watch.
Phil is literally telling you this in the OP.

We have numbers to back it up.

Sony said themselves without COD their business no longer makes sense.

I’m not making any of this up. It’s all there.

You chose to ignore it cause it doesn’t fit your fanboy narrative. :manny:

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
It's time for Microsoft to exit the console business.

This interview just reinforces how this company has historically made bad decisions when it comes to their gaming strategy. We can go back to when Sam Houser brought GTA3 to Microsoft and he was essentially laughed out the door.

Took it to Sony who supported it, to where it may as well been exclusive and thus helping to propel the PS2 to the massive success that it was.

Also this classic:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Phil is literally telling you this in the OP.

We have numbers to back it up.

Sony said themselves without COD their business no longer makes sense.

I’m not making any of this up. It’s all there.

You chose to ignore it cause it doesn’t fit your fanboy narrative. :manny:

Are you dense?

I wasn't disagreeing with what you posted, just saying its not some ah ha moment like you are insinuating. Business would take a hit without one of the best selling series on it. I'm shocked.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the console stan wars shyt on here is all jokes (I hope for everyone else :dead: )

I like to waste money. If xbox had some good games I'd buy one. Hell, I thought about buying one anyway but I simply can't justify it at all. My laptop has a 4080 so I'm pretty sure its more powerful than a xbox anyway. they are in a strange spot because anything they put out can just be played on pc, for 10 dollars a month right. like if they came out with some piff I can just play it anyway. I'm really not getting why anyone would pay a full year of gamepass perpetually. realistically you just pay for it to play the game youre interested in, like getting nflix for a month or two out of the year to catch up on the shows you want.
I think that's the point, MS isn't trying to out console or out 1st party party nintendo or Playstation. They couldn't if they wanted too unless they literally bought up and locked up everything which they couldn't do because gamers and companies would be all over them for buying up exclusives and how its not healthy.

I play gamepass games literally every month in some manner, but I also had sega channel way back in the day and played so many gem's of games that I would have NEVER touched otherwise because I was a nintendo head.

I probably wouldn't be the gamer I am if not for sega channel :yeshrug: Gamepass scratches that same itch but on a much wider scale.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
It's time for Microsoft to exit the console business.

This interview just reinforces how this company has historically made bad decisions when it comes to their gaming strategy. We can go back to when Sam Houser brought GTA3 to Microsoft and he was essentially laughed out the door.

Took it to Sony who supported it, to where it may as well been exclusive and thus helping to propel the PS2 to the massive success that it was.

Also this classic:

According to Meach this is all according to plan to get us to not buy xboxes as we are actually more valuable to them not owning xboxes or gamepass.

geniuses over there at MS I tell ya