• Yes

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 41.7%

• Total voters

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Unless the kid had his hair dyed neon pink, eating candy for breakfast and having a hairstyle (within reason) are two vastly different concepts. His braids have zero impact on his health. If we use your example of emphasizing the importance of acclimating boys to the barbershop, and getting into a routine of getting haircuts, then the father could have simply taken his son in for a cleanup. Then he could have followed that up with a rational conversation with the son and mother that despite him not liking dreads, braids that as long as they stay clean and maintain then it shouldn't be a problem. If they can't keep that up, then we they come off.

A fathers word can be law, but laws have to make sense.
I’m trying to imagine if my pops tried to make me cut off my high top fade. This is no different than that to me.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
when did the shift start that the coli was full of a bunch of clean cut lame ass pearl clutchers :dead:

Now locs or twists is “from the streets”

You realize our hair will naturally loc up anyway. and twists is a protective style, not a big neon sign that you a jackboy :dead:

you cant even be discriminated for your hair in most states any more so like, what is the big deal in here. And the kid is a kid, I didnt know he was going to applying to Goldman Sachs next week.
It doesn’t really matter what style the dad prefers. It’s the point that she deliberately gave the boy a hairstyle that the father told her previously that he didn’t want him to have. She did what she wanted to do against his wishes. So he cut it off against her wishes. Matters like this I tend to side with men for boys and women for girls. Each parent should have their opinion heard and respected. Hopefully a compromise of some sort. But if it’s just blatantly ignored then I have no problem with corrective action.

I don’t care what the kid wants. They can choose between the styles I deem acceptable. My hair was a lot longer when I was younger and my mom cut it against my dad‘s wishes. Her response to him was that he wasn’t the one who had to get up every morning to do my hair and my sister’s hair for school which I feel is understandable if it’s an issue. My shyt was Troy Polamalu status.

When it was short, I wanted to have designs in my head, like lightning bolts and certain kind of parts. Had my name in my head once. My dad said he didn’t want me to have a bunch of crazy shyt in my hair so somethings, he thought were OK like the lightning bolt but other things that I want it, he said hell no. My mom didn’t care but my dad did and he’d cut a crazy design out my hair if he thought it was extra shyt.

I don’t get to do what I want when I’m a child. I do what my parents tell me is acceptable.

Last edited:

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m more mad at how bad the hair cut is. That shyt is super trash, and if that’s what he was gonna leave the kid with he should’ve left the braids. I don’t want my kid looking like from the streets, but left him with a haircut that looks like he lives on the street. Make it make sense.
I agree with this. If you’re going to do all that, get him a top notch haircut. It was nothing wrong with the braids, even though I’m not a fan of it myself. It looked better than that trash cut.

I think the father did it because he wanted to make the mother mad, so they can have some type of interaction. Negative attention is better than none at all for a lot of people

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
I’m trying to imagine if my pops tried to make me cut off my high top fade. This is no different than that to me.

My old man never really cared if it was clean, and it wasn't some off the wall crazy color. I kept my hair pretty conservatives, but my siblings had all types of hairstyles. Only rule...Keep it clean.

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
ALL my kids got hair (just like they daddy)

He wrong ONLY because ....man, if you gonna cut it off,could have made sure the young man had the FLYEST hair cut next day...sent him to school with somw bull shyt...

And "from the streets!" No type of haircut is gonna change that around,folks gonna judge anyway

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Let kids enjoy their hair (if they want) whilst it’s fairly inconsequential. As long as it’s looked after, kept neat and healthy, kids having braids is no big deal. It’s also very :mjpls: to associate braids with “being from the street”

My brothers and I heard that shyt all the time growing up and as soon as we got old enough, we all grew our hair out. My dad would make comments or try to crack jokes but we’d just ignore him. People need to realise that the whole authoritarian routine does and will get tired and eventually your kids will just disregard your opinions :yeshrug:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I'm all for the dad having final say so... I just don't see what the big deal is about his hair. Doesn't seem like a battle worth fighting to me.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let kids enjoy their hair (if they want) whilst it’s fairly inconsequential. As long as it’s looked after, kept neat and healthy, kids having braids is no big deal. It’s also very :mjpls: to associate braids with “being from the street”

My brothers and I heard that shyt all the time growing up and as soon as we got old enough, we all grew our hair out. My dad would make comments or try to crack jokes but we’d just ignore him. People need to realise that the whole authoritarian routine does and will get tired and eventually your kids will just disregard your opinions :yeshrug:

Dude you got black people in black communities growing their kids hair and TELLING THEM THEY'RE GOING TO BE A STREET NIKKA.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

shyt like this is what I wanted and he was okay with but anything more and he wasn’t going for it.

Curly-Top-With-Subtle-Lightning-Bolt.jpg
lightning-bolt-25.jpg