Could Sony Get Away With Pricing PS5 At $599?

could sony get away with pricing ps5 at $599?

• yes, fanboys would buy it regardless how expensive it is

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • nope, both MS consoles being cheaper would significantly cut into their market share

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • sony could do whatever they want. they barely even acknowledge microsoft as a competitor at this poi

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • no way they price it that high; the backlash would be too intense

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • that would just confirm the swagged out arrogant sony of old is byke

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
Daps
If you are buying at $500, you're buying at $600...pandemic, supply, none of that is going to matter.

Sony could get away with this simply off the strength of what they gave us in the previous generation.
Sony already stated they would ever do that price again
It's about market share and maximum profits for corporations
That $600 really fukked them over until later on in the PS3/360 generation and almost put the company under according to Sony
The Sony brand is strong but you guys underestimate the conditions of the current market with the financial hardships people are going through during the pandemic
A $600 console is not going to be an attractive price for the massive PS4 to PS5 transition Sony has stated they want

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Sony already stated they would ever do that price again
It's about market share and maximum profits for corporations
That $600 really fukked them over until later on in the PS3/360 generation and almost put the company under according to Sony
The Sony brand is strong but you guys underestimate the conditions of the current market with the financial hardships people are going through during the pandemic
A $600 console is not going to be an attractive price for the massive PS4 to PS5 transition Sony has stated they want
Whether Sony was comfortable with it or not was not the question being asked.

All console makers have learned that console profit is made up elsewhere and that they are going to take an initial loss on hardware.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You’re ignoring the long lasting effects of a getting a commanding lead right out the gate due to those price differences and PR screw ups.
I mentioned that at the end as a caveat. I don't think Sony will price it $599 because even at $499 there's going to be click bait narratives about how it's an "inferior" console at the same price.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Sony sold 115 million consoles this gen, what makes y’all think a 100 dollar price difference is gonna make people jump ship?
I understand you was too young to remember but once upon a time Sony in this exact same position released the ps3 for $600 while the cheaper more powerful Xbox 360 came thru and crushed the buildings. They pulled some fukk shyt to get to where they at now with the ps4 but wasn't future proofing themselves. Fanboys screamed "Gaikai" while I tried to explain :stop:

Now Sony was forced to join Xbox in the real future of gaming that you don't even realize. But y'all sure was stoked that the ps5 was rumored to be fully back compatible :krs: just keep telling yourself nobody cares if there ps5 is inferior in every way. Their exclusives that trickle out will hold you down!!!

Microsoft put billions on it saying otherwise, why ignore that? Who cares why, you're crazy to brush that off but you guys do you :hhh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I understand you was too young to remember but once upon a time Sony in this exact same position released the ps3 for $600 while the cheaper more powerful Xbox 360 came thru and crushed the buildings. They pulled some fukk shyt to get to where they at now with the ps4 but wasn't future proofing themselves. Fanboys screamed "Gaikai" while I tried to explain :stop:

Now Sony was forced to join Xbox in the real future of gaming that you don't even realize. But y'all sure was stoked that the ps5 was rumored to be fully back compatible :krs: just keep telling yourself nobody cares if there ps5 is inferior in every way. Their exclusives that trickle out will hold you down!!!

Microsoft put billions on it saying otherwise, why ignore that? Who cares why, you're crazy to brush that off but you guys do you :hhh:

crushed buildings and still got outsold in the end lol

Xbox never had the stamina. Phil spencer arms too short to box with god

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I still think they're having an apple-like pricing model
choose between digital and disc
digital starts at $399 and could go up to $599
disc starts at $499 and could go up to $699

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Take your stan glasses off and recognize we're knee deep in a pandemic that has messed up people's finances - at least in the US. A lot of people can't get loose with money. 499 already isn't the cheapest in the world. 599 would be a tough pill to swallow.

That's a weird talking point.

That's more of a reason to say 'fukk it' and charge whatever.

If you can't afford $600, why even waste the $200 for the reasons?

$600: ":mjcry: I got to pay rent and feed my family, fukk is SONY doing?"

$500: ":krs: Just right, I can pay rent, feed my family and get a needless entertainment product!"

And I'm team "there's no reason to go next gen, yet."

:mjlol: Faster load times when most people are surfing and on social media while playing video games is not worth buying a brand new console.