Could Sony Get Away With Pricing PS5 At $599?

could sony get away with pricing ps5 at $599?

• yes, fanboys would buy it regardless how expensive it is

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • nope, both MS consoles being cheaper would significantly cut into their market share

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • sony could do whatever they want. they barely even acknowledge microsoft as a competitor at this poi

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • no way they price it that high; the backlash would be too intense

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • that would just confirm the swagged out arrogant sony of old is byke

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes and it’s also what screwed MS with the XB1.
Bottom line, these consoles all do the same-ish thing. Most consumers are going to gravitate to the cheaper option.

The exclusives sell the consoles for me :wow: I will buy Playstation every year they have enticing exclusives.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Bottom line, these consoles all do the same-ish thing. Most consumers are going to gravitate to the cheaper option.

At the end of the day its about the games.

People buy nintendo and playstations for teh 1st.party titles, even if 3rd party sells more the deciding factor is what 1st party games there are. Microsoft is buying these studios for a reason.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Y'all in here still arguing physical sales? I guess y'all still don't get the vision...

Remember just 7 years ago it was almost unfathomable to entertain the idea of not putting a disk Into a system yet here we are with whole disc less options.

Y'all gonna get caught slipping just like the record companies that kept trying to use cd physical sales as a metric.

But it's ok, Sony sold 100 billion units in 1999. :mjlol:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I keep going over this in my head and I've settled between these options

• Both PS5s will be $499 with the digital version having Spiderman as a pack in
  • PS5 Disc version is $549, Digital version $499 so that the ads can say, starting at $499
  • PS5 Disc version is $499, Digital Version $449 and take the bath on cost.
Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

The PS4, released in 2013 at a retail price of $399, was estimated by IHS Markit to cost $381 to manufacture. With the $450 unit cost and a similar gross margin, the PlayStation 5’s retail price would have to be at least $470. That would be a hard sell to consumers, considering Sony’s most expensive machine now is the $399.99 PS4 Pro and is often discounted, according to Macquarie Capital analyst Damian Thong.

Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar, but Sony opted to lavish more on making sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isn’t an issue.

I've been saying for eons that the PS5 runs hot, all those vents on the PS5 dev kit aren't for show. As confirmed by the VP of UX at Playstation

Here's the reason for why the PS5 is absolutely huge - VG247

MacLaurin took to LinkedIn to address PlayStation’s upcoming behemoth, explaining exactly why it’s not quite as elegantly slim as the PS4 Pro, and why its increase in power inherently necessitates an increase in thermal casing, and, as a result, PS5 size.

“I’m really impressed by this design – however, in today’s times, people seek portability and convenience,” wrote one commenter, seeking answers as to why the PS5 is so much bigger than its predecessor. “The performance in the PS4 was amazing. Why make the new product bigger and bulkier?”

“Thermals,” replied MacLaurin. “This gen is little supercomputers. While the 7nm process delivers amazing heat performance for the power, the power is very extreme.”

“This tech is still so fresh it throws a lot of heat so we need room to dissipate,” MacLaurin expanded in another comment.

Those high frequencies come at a cost. In manufacturing, in design, everywhere. Then you add this.

Sony says PS5 is aiming for the best value, ‘but not necessarily lowest price’ | VGC

Sony says PS5 is aiming for the best value, ‘but not necessarily lowest price’

Like I said, my guesses are the above. Nothing that has been said or demonstrated thus far leads me to believe that Sony is trying to get into a price war with Microsoft.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Y'all in here still arguing physical sales? I guess y'all still don't get the vision...

Remember just 7 years ago it was almost unfathomable to entertain the idea of not putting a disk Into a system yet here we are with whole disc less options.

Y'all gonna get caught slipping just like the record companies that kept trying to use cd physical sales as a metric.

But it's ok, Sony sold 100 billion units in 1999. :mjlol:

As long as I'm not streaming, I couldn't care less about physical vs digital

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Xbox One S retailed for $299, a fat $100 off the PS4. Xbox 1 was $349 since Jan 2015.
Microsoft drops Xbox One price to $349 on Jan. 16.

The Xbox One S is available in 500 GB, 1 TB, and a "special edition" 2 TB model, which originally retailed at US$299, $349, and $399 respectively.
Microsoft announces the Xbox One S, its smallest Xbox yet

Where were these consumers that gravitated to the cheap Xbox and had MSFT winning NPD in
hardware for the rest of the generation?

:sas2:

Price matters because I know someone is going to go "b-bu-but economy", but it's not telling the full story. (Again, assuming Sony doesn't price themselves out at $599 right now for the slow comprehension readers.)

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The Xbox One S retailed for $299, a fat $100 off the PS4. Xbox 1 was $349 since Jan 2015.
Microsoft drops Xbox One price to $349 on Jan. 16.

Microsoft announces the Xbox One S, its smallest Xbox yet

Where were these consumers that gravitated to the cheap Xbox and had MSFT winning NPD in
hardware for the rest of the generation?

:sas2:

Price matters because I know someone is going to go "b-bu-but economy", but it's not telling the full story. (Again, assuming Sony doesn't price themselves out at $599 right now for the slow comprehension readers.)
You’re ignoring the long lasting effects of a getting a commanding lead right out the gate due to those price differences and PR screw ups.