Could Sony Get Away With Pricing PS5 At $599?

could sony get away with pricing ps5 at $599?

• yes, fanboys would buy it regardless how expensive it is

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • nope, both MS consoles being cheaper would significantly cut into their market share

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • sony could do whatever they want. they barely even acknowledge microsoft as a competitor at this poi

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • no way they price it that high; the backlash would be too intense

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • that would just confirm the swagged out arrogant sony of old is byke

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
The reported BOM, at the time of bloomerg arcticle from February was 450

This was WITH sony struggling due to flash memory scarcity, at the time.

They arent eating 95 dollars due to a drive.

Is we use 450 number, then its more like 45 bucks (50 - "$5 disk drive"). We dont know if memory costs have come back down now, but, if they have, then that makes it even more feasible because the BOM would obviously be lower than previously reported

Sony, intially, lost 60 bucks per console on the PS4 (Sony To Take A Loss On PlayStation 4 Sales) and it went on to turn a profit in rapid time, due to fast sales, less exotic archicture and PSN.

Sony Japan executive Masayasu Ito told Eurogamer the company still expects to make a profit off of the average consumer, thanks to game royalties and PS Plus subscriptions.

Source: Sony expects to recoup PlayStation 4 hardware loss at launch

Sony also has an increasing incentive to push the digitial console at a competitive price, one due to MSFT and 2 due to the growing digital market and profits (Fig. 1)

EX4QnziWAAAecn7

Fig 1. PS4 digital software sales vs physical Sony report over 110m PlayStation 4 consoles sold as digital profits race ahead of physical – TheSixthAxis

Expect digital sales to be even higher with COVID and just over all general adoption increasing.

If PS5 DE is higher than 399 I would be highly suprised. They obviously targeted a similar BOM to the Ps4, which was 381 and were caught off guard due to flash memory scarcity, at the time.

Last edited:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
No they absolutely can't and won't...

Last I checked that didn't work out to well for PS3 so why repeat that top 5 WOAT console launch?

Weaker hardware at a higher price is a certified flop, especially when 90% of your launch lineup is multiplat games...

023.gif

Told y'all nikkas to get a second job. Thankfully my 1 job got me a day one PS3 that still works

:blessed::blessed::blessed:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
One of the main reasons Microsoft lost this generation is that they released a weaker system for $100 more than the ps4.

Ps3 costing more than the 360 is a big reason why it stalled at launch and took years with a few price drops to start selling.

They would take an L releasing for more then $500

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
You can't really be telling people to not worry about buying a console based on finances when this year has messed up a lot of people as it is.

Its good if these companies understand that and try to accommodate
Yeah i can. If you are struggling the only things you need to worry about is food, clothing and shelter. If you are not financially stable then really one of the last things that you should be doing is playing video games. As much as i like playing video games i would not even think of playing one if i was at risk of not eating or having a roof over my head.

Last edited:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Some ppl just budget that strictly anyway even if they do have it:yeshrug: nothing wrong with that especially if there's an alternative
Not spending extra money on a console because you do not want to or see the need, then fine. But if you are looking at your bank account and do not see a way of affording the more expensive console, then you have bigger problems then video games you need to solve.