Daps
:comeon: DRILL, OPPS, where those fancy words and lingo come from? :comeon:

Mandem been drillin on the oops huh? We late huh?:comeon:
Nikka did I not just cover that in the post you originally replied to?? :gucci:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Bushed
Daps
It really makes since due to Chicago being the birth place of house music and footwork. But yes as you said drill takes from foot work and house music. Which both are extremely big in chicago.

Oh and footwork in chicago is as old as house music. Kids were doing footwork dances in the 80s. Kats would flip a house music beat and make a loop of it in order to do footwork dances to the music.
Interesting that you say this. The whole grime scene was influenced by house breakbeats. If you listen closely you can hear the resemblance between the two.

They used to flip them into grime tracks, the whole rave period put everyone on to house, especially the OG Chicago shyt. It was extremely huge, so big the government had to crack down all raves. Really ruined the house scene.

King

Bushed
Daps
Nope. I asked a simple quote and you dodged. Quote yourself. What is drill?
a hand tool, power tool, or machine with a rotating cutting tip or reciprocating hammer or chisel, used for making holes.
Since we’re being purposely obtuse:unimpressed:

As we know it, “2020’s Drill” is a mixture of the structure of late 00’s UK grime and the 808/hi-hats of Chicago drill music. Also the whole style and lyrical context is heavily Chicago drill based. The whole calling out opps style

People downplay the influence of grime bc it’s relatively unknown and fell off, even in the UK once drill hit. Most of it has roots in house music.

Notice how I made a specification between “2020’s Drill” - the music this thread is about. AND Chicago Drill.

Drill music is obviously Chicago Drill, Which the elements like “calling out oops” - that you mentioned come from. We are now in 2020, the genre has evolved and fused with UK grime - hence the need to differentiate them.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And Wiley needs a mural in every city that bit off grime. Including NY and Chicago. And breh, leave DJ Kenn outta this. He was an okay producer but didn’t really produce much shyt of substance compared to someone like Young Chop, who blows him out of the water anyday

Put that mural up with all the grime legends for good measure

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFd5qfd8xIgkOrRuQ2NE7yI4qAxmTo98H

most nikkas in chicago never heard of grime though. that shyt didn't influence anybody :yeshrug:

and young chop was decent but his beats got old after the whole world jacked his style. His shyt still slaps though for sure.
It really makes since due to Chicago being the birth place of house music and footwork. But yes as you said drill takes from foot work and house music. Which both are extremely big in chicago.

Oh and footwork in chicago is as old as house music. Kids were doing footwork dances in the 80s. Kats would flip a house music beat and make a loop of it in order to do footwork dances to the music.
yeah, I've seen footage of old school footwork crews from the late 80's/early 90s.

If i'm not mistaken, wasn't it originally called house dancing?

King

Bushed
Daps
most nikkas in chicago never heard of grime though. that shyt didn't influence anybody :yeshrug:

I’m taking about drill as we know it today, which is a fusion, not how it was in 2012. Obviously, O Block wasn’t bumping Skepta.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
This “drill” shyt is demonic and I believe has an agenda behind it.

Dont get me wrong I fukk with it, esp Chicago drill (NY, UK & other drill scenes are :gag: to me), but I noticed a slight attitude shift when I listened to it religiously. I started to feel on “edge” all the time. Music can influence the subconscious. That’s why I dont listen to drill as much anymores besides working out cuz that shyt can definitely influence you to catch a charge if ur not strong willed.

And once a drill scene emerges in any city it creates a string of senseless violence. Look at how much more violence UK has seen since drill got hot.

And :laff: @ Italian drillers. I can’t take a buncha Milano pretty boys seriously, the Mafia tho:whoa:
It's crazy how much influence Black people have. This shyt started in Chicago and spread all over the world.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I remember when dikkriding was the ultimate sin in hip hop

now it’s nothing for “artists” to emulate other rappers’ sounds flows styles etc. smh

fukking disgust

Thats the "safe" feminine mindset that cats want money, by any means.

NWA took risks and never thought about safe money when they made "Straight outta Compton"

Public Enemy never intend to make safe money by their numerous albums, calling out white supremacy.

Its masculine to take risks and break ground. Its feminine to bite another person's style for safe profits

JackRoss

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Since we’re being purposely obtuse:unimpressed:

Notice how I made a specification between “2020’s Drill” - the music this thread is about. AND Chicago Drill.

Drill music is obviously Chicago Drill, Which the elements like “calling out oops” - that you mentioned come from. We are now in 2020, the genre has evolved and fused with UK grime - hence the need to differentiate them.

This is part of what you needed to say. Tell me what drill is with less sarcasm