Considering their tiny population are Jamaicans the most influential people ever?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
an offshoot of AA music?:mjlol:HOW SWAY1!?

Jamaican popular music is largely and heavily an offshoot of Afram popular music. Basically Jamamaica wasn't doing anything on a mass scale musically before the 1960's in the Carib. Prior to that, the only West Indians that were known globally for their music in some shape or form were Trini's through Calypso. Jamaica wasn't producing anything until they soaked up Afram style and musical ideas.

AA music ain't nothing but an offshoot of African music anyway

Jamaican pop music is closer to Afram pop music than both are to old world West/Central African music.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Jamaican popular music is largely and heavily an offshoot of Afram popular music. Basically Jamamaica wasn't doing anything on a mass scale musically before the 1960's in the Carib. Prior to that, the only West Indians that were known globally for their music in some shape or form were Trini's through Calypso. Jamaica wasn't producing anything until they soaked up Afram style and musical ideas.

Jamaican pop music is closer to Afram pop music than both are to old world West/Central African music.

In terms of the bolded I would say Afro-Cubans.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
EVEN BY POPULATION THE JEWS GOT US ON THAT TOO. MUSIC? YEP BUY THAT FROM THEM. MOVIES? SPORTS? NOT ONLY THAT BUT THEY DECIDE WHAT FADS WE INVENT GET POPULAR. THE NEW SLANG COMES FROM OUR MUSIC. IT WOULD STAY REGIONAL IF THEY DIDN'T SIGN THE ARTIST TO SPREAD IT. THERE ARE ROUGHLY 16 MILLION JEWS WORLDWIDE ACCORDING TO GOOGLE. THEIR INFLUENCE TO POPULATION RATIO IS OFF THE CHARTS.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Jamaica is a Commonwealth state and 51℅ of the population wants to return to British rule. There's a huge Jamaican diaspora in America, and no Americans in Jamaica, other than culturally American brehs who got deported after living in the US since infancy.
Get deposited on an island, have a US puppet cac President from Boston named Edward Seaga in recent history, brehs.
I can tell you've been to Jamaica recently
Southern barbecue and soul food are distinct culinary forms recognized globally.
The big European and Japanese fashion houses have all taken cues from AA trends. All of them.
Being globally recognized is not really a sign of influence
Jamaican cuisine is also globally recognized

Can you post some examples of the big fashion designers shared from AAs. I don't know much about fashion
It just smashed your premise.
Stop it.
I don't think you understand my premise
Funny how @Dip brings up Jamaican gangs.
Bring up how the shower posse got dried up and whipped all throughout the eastern seaboard. nikkas packed it up and moved to Toronto.
Shout outs to JBM, 4th x kennedy, and other crews who smashed Jamaicans, Colombians, and Dominicans....at the same damn time.
Crushing cans.
Jamaica imports gangs, too. They can only thrive where there are no other blacks.
Cool I guess.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Remember AA population is like 40 million, while Jamaica is just under 3 million.In relation to their population Jamaicans have been very influential. AAs are a close 2nd.

aframs are a far away and ahead #1....you could literally remove Aframs from the picture historically and remove huge moments in history that wouldn't exist without Afram influence on a global scale that then paved the way for other shyt. Removed Aframs and one can easily say..

no jamaican music as we know it from ska, to reggae to dub to dancehall

no british invasion as we know it

no rock, the dominant white form of pop music

no jazz, the first true global takeover music

no blues, the music that first put the guitar into pop culture/american music

...I can go on and on

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Lets see...

1. Fashion
  2. Food(yes food)
  3. Dances(I literally see almost every group on instagram doing the 'dap' lol)
  4. Films
  5. Slangs
  6. Hairstyles(cant tell you how many Ethiopians I saw in Ethiopia rocking hairstyles from USA)
  7. Black empowerment
I can go on.
Film? You going to have to school me on that
Food? I guess if you count franchises like KFC and Popeyes

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
I am not even Jamaican but i gotta pay respect. A tiny island with a population of not even up to 3 million people gave the world Reggae, Bob Marley, Usain Bolt, Marcus Garvey, Notorious BIG. I am pretty sure i am missing a lot more things inspired by Jamaican culture that have become mainstays in today's society.

The Bay Area easily wins this one :usure:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
an offshoot of AA music?:mjlol:HOW SWAY1!?

Listen to some of the early rocksteady and ska bands from the 50s and early 60s. They sound like Motown groups breh. Not a coincidence.

To answer OP though, yes, Jamaicans have had an outsized impact on world culture.

Let's appreciate how we're all linked and contribute to each other instead of getting emotional and defensive in the thread tho

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I group them with latin americans but if you're talking the carib in general, Afro-Cubans were the undisputed kings prior to 1960's jamaica

And addressing this:"no jazz, the first true global takeover music"

That alone debunks the silly myth that the AA influence came world wide only because America was a superpower/riches nation. Jazz is arguable the most popular/global genre there is... And like I said the influence came well before America was a world power.

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps

this is total :duck:. Jamaican music was hardly influenced by american music at all.

For a start ska and reggae are both played on the downbeat, american music didn't start doing that until decades later with funk.

once reggae became dominant they were even using similar instruments, was much more bass heavy.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Just want to address the bold
1) food: i don't know about that one. I don't see the influence of AA cooking/cuisine globally. Unless you are talking about soul food restaurants in other countries

southern cuisine is flat out more influential on global scale period than jamaican cuisine. American BBQ alone is more widespread

2)fashion: outside hair (afros, etc. ) and hip hop wear/streetwear i also am not too sure about the impact of AAs in global fashion especially as most of the world follows European fashion

to truly understand the scale of influence of afram fashion, I think one should start from the 1920's jazz ages